What I hope to see Saturday

Iggcane

Recruit
As a long time fan of the program, I feel as though we are on the precipice of turning the corner. I think that AG has done an outstanding job in all aspects of his job outside of winning football games (media relations, delivering the right "message" and recruiting), and I believe we have the talent for him to take that last step and win. Now, I do feel that talent wise, we are undermanned vs. the Gates, but we have enough that AG should be able to put a game plan together that gives us an opportunity to win. That, coupled with the hunger that I hope every player on the team feels to fulfill the expectations of a University and City with a long history of being a dominant program should be enough to propel us to victory. Its time for this team, under this coach to show us on the field all the things we hope that we see in practice.

Although I don't have a great understanding of X's and O's, there are a few "eye ball test" type of things I will be looking for and hope to see that will confirm my excitement for this team, this year and the direction of the program in general.

Offense:

QB - I hope that I see accuracy and good decision making from Morris. He clearly has all the tools, but needs to realize that we don't need the homerun every play. I am looking for him to hit open receivers in stride and not have one of those "what was he thinking!!??!!" moments during the game. That he checks out of bad plays and takes underneath routes. This is a game where we will have a very small margin for error, so I am hoping for no mistakes. That said, I know that with the playmakers we have, he will have the opportunity to make a great throw that can spark some momentum for us. He needs to hit that throw. He needs to be a leader, like KD against FSU before "the Drive", he needs a moment like that in a game like this if he is going to be the player people think.

OL - This team should get good push and give Morris time. They have the talent and depth to dominate, its time to do it. If we are getting 3 - 4 yards per carry and morris has time to take a 5-step drop, I will be satisfied. I know the Gates have a talented DL, but we have a very talented OL, lets show it.

RB - Duke needs to show up, I think he needs to make the big plays we have become accustom to against lesser competition in this game. We will also need solid contributions from either Clements or Crawford. Duke won't be able to carry more than 20, so one of the two will need to step up and provide positive yardage, no need for homeruns, but depth.

WR/TE - Need to catch the ball and get separation. This is taken for granted at top programs. They do the little things. I don't need to see big plays, lets execute what is there.

Defense

DL - I want to see them disrupt things. They don't need to dominate, but they cannot be dominated. They need to make Driskel uncomfortable, they need to stretch out runs and get penetration. I don't know our scheme and if it allows for this (I've heard we have a gap control scheme), but I hope to notice the DL. Even if they don't make tackles, they should be providing the opportunity for plays to be made by our athletic LB's and DB's.

LB - I have two things I look for as a gauge for how our defense is playing. First, are our OLB's (DP, Fig and Arbister) making plays in the backfield and in the flat? Second, our middle LB should be involved in the tackle on most running plays. Again, I don't know how scheme fits in, but I have vivid memories of our great past defenses being dominated by our LB's. Our Mike's leading the team in tackles and our outside backers making big plays in the backfield. We have the talent.

DB's - I hope to see good coverage, guys not running open. Completions should be difficult. We should be making plays on the ball. We have the talent and enough experience to not have blown coverages. We should be in a position to make plays on the ball, especially if the DL is getting some pressure.

Intangibles - I want to see our guys come out fired up. I want to see them play with an edge, to look hungry, to be aggressive. I want to see our team have the ability to take a punch and respond. I want to see them try and deliver a knockout blow. We have real weapons on offense and real talent on defense. We should be in a position to win this game. I want to see our team take the game. Make big 3rd down stops. Get turnovers.

Finally, I want to see leaders emerge. We have pretty good experience at every position of the field. Its time for the guys with the talent and experience to step up and win the game for this team. That means Chick and Porter, Perryman, Rogers, Bush and Howard. That means Morris, Henderson and Linder, Dorsett and Hurns. They need to win this game to reach their potential as Canes. To continue the legacy of teams before them, this is their time, and they need to own it.

Advertisement
Don't abandon the run!!! We did against ND and KSU last year.

The Oline better come out wanting to run every play.

Defensively we need to throw in some blitzes but I really think all we need to do is play sound gap control D. They like to do a lot of option read and Play Action off the QB read.

I could see Perryman or Figs with a huge hit on Driskel and getting a penalty bc it's the QB and they hit so hard and violent.

What I DON'T want to see....more chicken*hit bulls*it calls by these f*ckin refs for a change. It seems like every single game, we are getting hosed by these f*ckers.

Was hoping to see some half or fully naked drunk *** gator chicks, canes girls stay classy.

Advertisement
I want to see this team show confidence and passion. I haven't seen this since the Butch and early Coker days. I want to see our D attack, make plays and set the tone early. I want Morris, Dorsett and Hurns to take the next step and become legends to this programs.

"Big time players make big time plays in big time games." - Rohan Marley and Santana Moss. The time is now!

Do whatever it takes to win this frikkin game. I don't care if it's magic tricks or an Indian medicine man casting a spell over the gates. Just beat them.

Advertisement

Defensively we need to throw in some blitzes but I really think all we need to do is play sound gap control D. They like to do a lot of option read and Play Action off the QB read.

I could see Perryman or Figs with a huge hit on Driskel and getting a penalty bc it's the QB and they hit so hard and violent.
Man you are spot on they have to be balanced. Are line looks good but there far from dominant

That's because we fell behind (by a lot of points). You pretty much have no alternative but to go to the air when you're losing by 30 points in the 3rd quarter.

Duke won't be able to carry more than 20

Does he explode if he goes over 20?

I think it is short-sited to give him more than 20 carries in game 2 of the season. I think we have capable back-ups that need to step up.

This game here is the game you need him touching it most. These are the games where big name backs get the bulk of the carries from. Odds of Duke avg 10 yds a carry are pretty low. Gurley the only back to rush for more than a 100 yards vs UF last season needed to carry the ball 27 times, 4.4 ypc, and a long of 23 yards. I consider him too be one of the best in the nation, and plays on a team that has a pretty good passing game. We are not going to win with Duke sheltered, and putting guys on the field that are not even in his league to move the ball vs UF defense. Anyone playing them short are fools. They will be ready too play just like we will, and this will prob be a close game. You want Duke getting as many touches because it is the fact that he has such a high big play ability. He could be held in check for the entire game, but then break one loose at any moment.

I hope to see Morris making smart decisions. Like stated earlier, the homerun isn't always needed. If the dude deep is open throw it, if not check down to the RBs or shorter routes. If that's covered pick up a couple yards and get down or throw it away. I want to see a gritty effort from the OL and DL. They need to play with a mean streak for 60 mins. We need players that have an opportunity to catch the ball and make plays to do so. Finally sound takling and assignment football defensively to go with mistake free special teams. If we can do those, which are the basics, we can win this game.

Advertisement
WHAT I HOPE TO SEE SATURDAY

164.jpg

165.jpg

166.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

169.jpg

Regarding the original post, while I hope you are right, that sounds like nearly perfect execution for us. If each unit played they way you suggested then I anticipate we would win handily.

As long as our interior lines perform adequately, I expect it to be a close game that comes down to turnovers and special teams. and when i say adequately, I mean the OL needs to get enough of a push that we can establish a running game to keep their defense honest. and regarding the DL, they cannot just get pushed off the ball. they have to be able engage and hold their ground.

Advertisement
Before the season, I guessed 24 carries for Duke this game. I'll stick to that. If he goes far lower, something went terribly wrong.

I have the sense we're gonna see him in the slot on Saturday. I think he gets a carry out of there and we use him as a decoy as well.

All 85 scholarship players on the roster and select walk-ons need to show up not accepting anything less than a win.

Advertisement
Back