What happened to the O

Phydeaux

Senior
Okay,
Missed entire first half Saturday, but the O was sloppy, unenthused and simply putrid in the last 30

Watching replay now and they were lights out first quarter with the up tempo, flats and moving pocket for Morris
Did the gates just out-adjust s
Or did morris go into a funk
OL stunk in second half, and coley looked overwhelmed and too predictable

Advertisement
LULZ at a dude who didn't even watch the biggest game at UM in almost 10 years commenting on it critically.

Advertisement
Gators defense happened. Not going to deny that they are still ahead of Miami as far as depth and talent on D. Golden is on his way to catching up to that D and also having an offense full of south florida ballers.

Regardless of being behind in recruiting the last few years the Don still guided the team to a win. +coach D.

Muschamp coaches a good D but he has a lil Zook in him too.

Advertisement
Does this really needs it's own thread?

Don't reply
Next

I actually thinks this is a fair question and let's not pretend there weren't one or two thousand threads about the D last year. Granted, the goal in every game is to score one more point than the opposition and U*** has a beast of a defense, but it was a bit perplexing to see the O take such a nose dive so quickly. I'm no analyst nor will I pretend to know more than anyone else (a rarity I know), but with the exception of the touchdown pass, there doesn't seem to be a lot of chemistry between Morris and Dorsett. Whether it's Dorsett cutting off a route that Morris thought he would continue, to Morris throwing an out when Dorsett runs an in, there just seems to be something off. If those two get on the same page, it will open up so much for people like Herb Waters and Stacy Coley to take those intermediate routes and turn them into chuck YAC plays. It also opens up bigger running lanes for Duke. I just don't want us to go from all O and no D to U***. Just not a good look as we just witnessed. GO CANES.

Does this really needs it's own thread?

Don't reply
Next

I actually thinks this is a fair question and let's not pretend there weren't one or two thousand threads about the D last year. Granted, the goal in every game is to score one more point than the opposition and U*** has a beast of a defense, but it was a bit perplexing to see the O take such a nose dive so quickly. I'm no analyst nor will I pretend to know more than anyone else (a rarity I know), but with the exception of the touchdown pass, there doesn't seem to be a lot of chemistry between Morris and Dorsett. Whether it's Dorsett cutting off a route that Morris thought he would continue, to Morris throwing an out when Dorsett runs an in, there just seems to be something off. If those two get on the same page, it will open up so much for people like Herb Waters and Stacy Coley to take those intermediate routes and turn them into chuck YAC plays. It also opens up bigger running lanes for Duke. I just don't want us to go from all O and no D to U***. Just not a good look as we just witnessed. GO CANES.

I would like to see a concerted effort in direct relation to your concerns
More Dorset and hurts from Morris, and get waters and coley in for more than half the snaps
If its the route running, then waters or coley will prove more reliable and possible improvement in consistency of Morris
If its coley (oc) or Morris, the trainnwreck will continue in the passing game

We have three weeks of warm ups to get this group together
A senior QB should be a perfect leader of this

I do agree that the gator d is the best we will see until FSU, so it gives us time to develop a reasonable and sound game plan for that style and talent. This will be strictly on Coley.
If we can show improvements in the aerial attack, this will also allow duke to find space, and Edwards to develop
What about the TEs, too little involvement in my opinion
And the OL needs to firm up their cohesiveness.

What happened?????

Morris was rattled prior to the kickoff, and could never shake his nerves.

Morris right now, is not the guy we seen finish off strong last season, giving so many people hope coming into this one.

1 and 11 on 3rd downs vs UF. Add that to the 4 and 14 the previous week, and you got 5 of 25 on 3rd down. We are around 20% on converting 3rd downs.

There were guys open all day vs UF, and anyone saying that this is on Coley, our that guys weren't open, are in denial.

Morris stated prior to the season that 3rd downs, and getting his % up into the 60's this season were major goals for him.

He needs to get settled, and start letting guys around him make plays. Only way he is going to get those two things up.

Not denoting a big win from Saturday, just stating the problem.

They were busy shooting out emails to all of us in the 2nd quarter that we needed to get our Neg on for all the "where is the offense?" threads that would emerge following a conservative lulz-if-you-can-beat-us-Driskel approach.

James Coley @CoachColey 7 Sep
Negulators! Mount Up!!!

Advertisement
But in all honesty, we will improve. As someone else said (DMoney I think), Manuel looked better against the pats than the gators. That D is legit. Coley has major room for improvement, which is exciting.

What happened?????

Morris right now, is not the guy we seen finish off strong last season, giving so many people hope coming into this one.

1 and 11 on 3rd downs vs UF. Add that to the 4 and 14 the previous week, and you got 5 of 25 on 3rd down. We are around 20% on converting 3rd downs.

There were guys open all day vs UF, and anyone saying that this is on Coley, our that guys weren't open, are in denial.

Morris stated prior to the season that 3rd downs, and getting his % up into the 60's this season were major goals for him.

He needs to get settled, and start letting guys around him make plays. Only way he is going to get those two things up.

this is pretty spot on..Golden has said thru all camp without mentioning names that our completion rate had to get better that QB play had to get better, after the FAU game he said QB play has to get better it has not...Morris has not learned how to manage the game, he is playing it great for 2 qtrs...thank god for us its the 1st and 4th....we just have to struggle with him...still can win 10+ games

Advertisement
The lack of sustained offense in the Florida game was caused by the inability of the Oline. I saw a lot of lunging, off balance and missed blocks due to the quickest of that U*** front 7. Specifically McDermott had a rough game. I would have liked to have seen more of an adjustment in the splits, reducing the distance of the Oline to defenders to negate the athletic disadvantage.

But the most important takeaway from the Florida game is we no longer have to out score opponents, our defense can win us games now. This is our floor potential right now and this team will only improve more.

We are doomed. It is highly unlikely we will be able to improve with a bye week followed by Savannah State followed by USF before we play GT and then extra time to prepare for UNC, then Wake before we play FSU.

****. I was excited about the win and lost track of our ineptitude.

''There were guys open all day vs UF, and anyone saying that this is on Coley, our that guys weren't open, are in denial.''

I blame at least 50% on Coley, you can't run on every 1st down play and sure an **** not against that D. It didn't work and he kept on doing it. Not sure I saw one screen either. The D won it for us plain and simple. Could Morris have played better? Sure, with better play calling he could have.

What happened?????

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back