Off-Topic What happened to the NBA?

jackedaround

Junior
The product is horrible this year. No dominant teams. Blowouts all over the place. Players sitting. Teams sitting.

Perhaps the players are burned out but this is by far the worse NBA season in a long time.

I guess it is the Webby effect. No one wants to win. Or 82 games is just too much.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's the getting old syndrome, my era was better than your era, this era sucks.
The NBA is just fine, problem is the regular season is too long just like with all other sports, the playoffs is when everything gets interesting.
Giannis, Tatum, Joker and Donicic are having great seasons and are a joy to watch.

The NBA is just fine, problem is the regular season is too long just like with all other sports, the playoffs is when everything gets interesting.
Giannis, Tatum, Joker and Donicic are having great seasons and are a joy to watch.
This gets repeated a lot but as someone who grew up loving 90's and early 00's basketball, the product out there really is worse in comparison. Rules to prevent good defense, James Harden taking 8 steps and abusing the euro-stepback, the constant flopping and complaining, everyone fawning over Lebron when he quite literally is not required to play defense and is given open lanes to score...

I can appreciate the freak athleticism and players pushing the boundaries of the sport like Steph and KD, but these guys are all buddies and constantly adjust their contracts to get traded and play with each other. Kobe is really the last superstar who wanted to dominate.

Advertisement
Regular season was long a long time ago too.

Like with a lot of other sports, you can’t alienate half the people.

Also, FA as a god given right had out a damper on things. Want people to be loyal but you never know who your players will be and only a couple teams have a shot. I don’t know much though and couldn’t care less

This gets repeated a lot but as someone who grew up loving 90's and early 00's basketball, the product out there really is worse in comparison. Rules to prevent good defense, James Harden taking 8 steps and abusing the euro-stepback, the constant flopping and complaining, everyone fawning over Lebron when he quite literally is not required to play defense and is given open lanes to score...

I can appreciate the freak athleticism and players pushing the boundaries of the sport like Steph and KD, but these guys are all buddies and constantly adjust their contracts to get traded and play with each other. Kobe is really the last superstar who wanted to dominate.
Boris diaw hit max vertex in sandals. Let's not think that freak athletes haven't existed forever.

Advertisement
The product is horrible this year. No dominant teams. Blowouts all over the place. Players sitting. Teams sitting.

Perhaps the players are burned out but this is by far the worse NBA season in a long time.

I guess it is the Webby effect. No one wants to win. Or 82 games is just too much.
How do both occur at the same time?

Regular season games now mean absolutely nothing. If the players openly don’t give half a **** why should the fans. I played and watched more than my share of playground ball in and around DC in the 80’s and 90’s and much more often than not those games were played with more urgency than what I see on TV now…those of you from that area know **** well what I mean. It wasn’t unusual from games to be run and arranged by young men wagering large amounts of money on the outcome the the endings were not always pleasant so yeah, every point mattered.

The other problem as I see it is stylistic. When the USA team lost in 1988 international ball was mainly what we see in the NBA now. Low intensity 3 point contests and a general disinterest in defense with too much traveling and flopping. Watching LeBron or Westbrook (among others) flailing about like they just stepped on land mine if anyone gets within 5 feet just doesn’t hold my interest.

Then again it’s entirely possible that I’ve just lost interest in the NBA in general since I was barely alive the last time the Washington franchise was relevant and in fairness, Maryland being in the Big Ten now doesn’t hold my interest the same way ACC ball did.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back