what baffles me

nycane

All-ACC
Premium
Recently, golden has only hired florida/south florida guys. Scott, Hurlie, Coley, Beard, Baez, Ice, etc. Why are we still recruiting outside florida? why is the scheme not adapted to a south florida style of play? Maybe as far as recruiting franklin and carroll didnt have the contacts in south florida but this confuses me.

Advertisement
It comes down to desire. It's obvious to everyone that Golden is running the wrong schemes and personnel here. As stubborn as he is he must realize this by now. So the question is does Golden have the desire to be here past next year? If he does you will see a change in scheme and recruiting tactics quickly. We should see something new by the time Spring ball starts. You will also see him focusing 80% of their efforts on local recruiting. Now on the flip side if it is the same old scheme and same old recruiting tactics then this tells me he is just buying his time here and wants out. The proof will be in the pudding as they say and I believe we will know Golden's fate before next season even starts.

Last year, during spring drills, we saw aggressiveness...we saw flashes of man to man; we saw a team on the verge of taking the next step....then the season rolled out...and we went right back into that soft zone w/ a bend, don't break, mentality.

For 4 years, we've witnessed that, and Golden has coached that scheme for even longer. You can't teach an old dogs new tricks. Golden is not one that is adaptable. His hires are masked by his OCD approach of coaching. Remember, he's the smartest guy in the room...I think he wants to do better, but he's been taught for 16 yrs of his life to coach a certain way, the Al Groh way, and it's unfortunate for him b/c he's stuck w/ that mindset.

Golden's fate will be that of his mentor. His off-season antics, his refusal to adapt, his refusal to fire any of his coaches, his refusal to negotiate a buy out, the plethora of excuses that's been used to justify losses and why he's failed on the recruiting path...it shows us what we need to know about Golden. I look for the same story line next year...beat up on teams that vastly inferior to us, and lose to any team that has a pulse.#getthepinkslipready

Do you really think Golden is reaching outside the state by choice? Or do you think he's doing it out of necessity because he's failing in S. Florida? My gut tells me it's the latter.

Advertisement
Recently, golden has only hired florida/south florida guys. Scott, Hurlie, Coley, Beard, Baez, Ice, etc. Why are we still recruiting outside florida? why is the scheme not adapted to a south florida style of play? Maybe as far as recruiting franklin and carroll didnt have the contacts in south florida but this confuses me.

Folden believes that the best talent is found outside of Florida, especially S.Fla.

2010: "We are gonna recruit the NE hard...and run an odd front."

I knew we were in trouble the minute he said it.

Do you really think Golden is reaching outside the state by choice? Or do you think he's doing it out of necessity because he's failing in S. Florida? My gut tells me it's the latter.

I believe it's both. Golden is inept at adapting...period. He's from the NE and that's all he knows. That's why he should be a coach at Rutgers or a school like that. I think he will be very successful up there...not down here though.

Advertisement
I think Golden believes too much in the strength of Miami's "Brand".

He thinks Miami can still attract players from across the country just based on the Miami name, and local players will want to go to Miami regardless.

That's why he spends so much time recruiting in Cali/NJ/VA, then only offers local players that he should've been recruiting all along just days before signing day. He thinks the local kids will look past the fact that he ignored them the whole recruiting process, because they've always dreamed of playing for Miami.

But it doesn't work like that, and after doing it for 4 recruiting cycles, these local guys on staff are necessary for damage control as much as actual recruiting.

He's failed to see that the Miami brand isn't what it used to be, and the way to build it back up is to get more of these local kids.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back