What am I missing re: OL recruiting numbers?

Katzenboyer

Freshman
To me, the gold standards of OL recruiting right now are Alabama, Notre Dame and Wisconsin.

Alabama took 5 OL in 2019 (1 five star, 3 four stars, 1 three star), 3 OL in 2020 (1 four star, two three stars), and currently have 4 OL committed in this class (two five star, two four star). Total = 12 in the last three classes.

Notre Dame took 4 OL in 2019 (four four stars), 2 OL in 2020 (two four stars), and currently have 5 OL committed this class (one five star, two four stars, two three stars). Total = 11 in the last three classes.

Wisconsin took 2 OL in 2019 (one four star, one three star), 5 OL in 2020 (three four stars, two three stars), and currently have 3 OL committed this class (one five star, two four stars) and are expecting two more OL to commit before signing day. Total = 12 (if the two commit) in the last three classes.

Miami took 4 OL in 2019 (one three star, two two stars, one unrated), 2 OL last year (one four star, one three star), and have 3 OL currently committed (one four star, two three stars). Total = 9 over the last three classes.

What am I missing? Why are we not making this a priority numbers-wise? Are we expecting additions to this class? It just seems like this isn't being prioritized when it's one of the weakest links on this team.

Advertisement
Positional development and strength and conditioning.

As bad as Miami was yesterday, there were some improvements from a positional development standpoint this year. We are better than a year before. With that said, we are starting a two-star left tackle (who has had some good play this year, to be fair), low end three-star at guard that should be a center, an undersized three-star center, a four-star at guard that should be a center (or tackle), and a transfer three star tackle. The talent isn't that good and even the potentially good players are playing out of position. We are relying a lot on young guys moving forward like Jalen Rivers, Chris Washington, Big Baby Seymour, Ryan Rodriguez, and Mike McLaughlin to get better in a hurry.

If you add the transfers in the numbers are probably pretty close.

Wisconsin and Bama also have 8000 walk-ons

If you add the transfers in the numbers are probably pretty close.

Wisconsin and Bama also have 8000 walk-ons

That's probably true, but I think there's an article floating around out there that says over the last two decades, a team's success directly correlates with the number of years the OL starters have been in the program (i.e., the teams with multiple year starters and/or kids who came in and waited 2-3 years before starting at OL) have finished consistently in the top 10. Transfers don't really help with that.

Wisconsin and ND do a really solid job of this -- going out, getting some "toolsy" three stars into the program, letting the S&C coach have their way with those kids for 3 years, and eventually turning them into monsters. Why isn't Miami taking a similar approach?

Advertisement
We also took two GT OL and should take 4 this year. That would put us at 12 over 3 years.

Advertisement
Back