Well, now we know what we're dealing with...kind of

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Yes, I too yearn for the halcyon days of wine and song when I believed the hype about this year's team. I thought the professional prognosticators were foolish to make their low predictions of us. What idiots, right? I could, and did, make one excuse after the other for the loss to the Gators. And then... tonight happened....

So, here's the reality (not the hype) about this year's team. They are simply not nearly as good as I hoped they would be. Read on for more erudite analysis.

Realistic outlook on the state of the U as it is circa Sept. 8, 2019:
  • The overall defense is not NEARLY what we thought they would be. They are good. Not very good. Certainly not great or elite. Absolutely NOT as good as last year's squad. They are good and can make some sparkle plays every now and again, but not often.
  • The DL and specifically, the pass rush, is an undeniable disappointment.
  • The only DL who has special game breaking ability is Rousseau. Patchan isn't putting heat on the QB, but he is on a lot of run tackles and is contributing. I literally forgot Garvin was even on the field most times tonight. Two games in and according to our Green Tree historians and experts, he's going pro somewhere in the 1st two rounds this March. Right... Also, Trevon has either lost a step or was the beneficiary of special circumstances at VT. Honestly, Rousseau should start and **** near take as many snaps on passing downs as humanly possible. Greg has special ability and if he began getting major burn, OC's would have to start compensating for him, which is what you want them to do.
  • Bandy IS a good player. He had a down game. Everyone has those. I'm not bailing on him for a couple of bad plays. Plenty of other people to poke at. Bandy is a good one. Let him be human this one game.
  • Either Baxa does something that I now don't believe he's capable of (become money and basically make 97% of the rest of his kicks for this season) OR, they need to find a H.S. kicker to train AND a good kicker in the portal to at least shore things up for next season. This is really getting ridiculous.
  • The Mallory giveth and the Mallory taketh away.
  • The fact that Manny settled on a couple of his coaches and DIDN'T spend real money and do a real nationwide search for a great ST's coach is already hurting his tenure. Yes, I understand that both losses weren't solely because of our ST's, but answer this very simple question: if we have average to above average special teams, do we lose either one of those games? So, that means it's important. Honestly, if there's someone he could bring in as a consultant like Frank Beamer (and I'm not even kidding about Beamer), then Manny needs to do it and do it right away. Stop the bleeding before fans and donors start leaving or at least cooling on Manny.
  • I said before the season started that 10 wins should absolutely be the floor. At this point, I have no unrealistic expectations regarding the ACCCHGM. Even if it takes a bowl game to get there, it is unacceptable for this team, with this much talent and spending this much on coaches, with this year's schedule, to NOT win 10 games. If we want to recruit enough studs to turn the tide on this program, then we HAVE to win at least 10 so we can show them Manny has things moving in a positive direction.
  • The mark of every Butch coached team at the U, with the possible exception of the 97' season, because we were simply ravaged by scholly reductions that season, was that the teams gradually got better as the season progressed and always crescendoed at the end. We shouldn't hope for this, that should be the expectation. Don't think I'll see that with the ST's, but I definitely think we'll see that with the O and I'm hoping, hoping, hoping, that happens with the D, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • I still believe Manny can do this job and get us there. If he were left a better place kicker and more OL talent, we'd currently be sitting at 2-0 with a much rosier outlook on things. He's made a lot of good changes and as long as he continues to demand accountability for EVERYONE associated with the program, I do believe he will rebuild this team.
  • Oh, and on an Enos note - much better play calling and Jarren played better and improved his pocket presence. Looks like we will need Enos O to bail the team out of tight jams this season in the way that our D has for the last couple of years. As long as Enos keeps improving and Jarren keeps improving, I'm on board.

Advertisement
Yes, I too yearn for the halcyon days of wine and song when I believed the hype about this year's team. I thought the professional prognosticators were foolish to make their low predictions of us. What idiots, right? I could, and did, make one excuse after the other for the loss to the Gators. And then... tonight happened....

So, here's the reality (not the hype) about this year's team. They are simply not nearly as good as I hoped they would be. Read on for more erudite analysis.

• The overall defense is not NEARLY what we thought they would be. They are good. Not very good. Certainly not great or elite. Absolutely NOT as good as last year's squad. They are good and can make some sparkle plays every now and again, but not often.
  • The only DL who has special game breaking ability is Rousseau. Patchan isn't putting heat on the QB, but he is on a lot of run tackles and is contributing. I literally forgot Garvin was even on the field most times tonight. Two games in and according to our Green Tree historians and experts, he's going pro somewhere in the 1st two rounds this March. Right... Also, Trevon has either lost a step or was the beneficiary of special circumstances at VT. Honestly, Rousseau should start and **** near take as many snaps on passing downs as humanly possible. Greg has special ability and if he began getting major burn, OC's would have to start compensating for him, which is what you want them to do.
  • Bandy IS a good player. He had a down game. Everyone has those. I'm not bailing on him for a couple of bad plays. Plenty of other people to poke at. Bandy is a good one. Let him be human this one game.
  • Either Baxa does something that I now don't believe he's capable of (become money and basically make 97% of the rest of his kicks for this season) OR, they need to find a H.S. kicker to train AND a good kicker in the portal to at least shore things up for next season. This is really getting ridiculous.
  • The fact that Manny settled on a couple of his coaches and DIDN'T spend real money and do a real nationwide search for a great ST's coach is already hurting his tenure. Yes, I understand that both losses weren't solely because of our ST's, but answer this very simple question: if we have average to above average special teams, do we lose either one of those games? So, that means it's important. Honestly, if there's someone he could bring in as a consultant like Frank Beamer (and I'm not even kidding about Beamer), then Manny needs to do it and do it right away. Stop the bleeding before fans and donors start leaving or at least cooling on Manny.
  • I said before the season started that 10 wins should absolutely be the floor. At this point, I have no unrealistic expectations regarding the ACCCHGM. Even if it takes a bowl game to get there, it is unacceptable for this team, with this much talent and spending this much on coaches, with this year's schedule, to NOT win 10 games. If we want to recruit enough studs to turn the tide on this program, then we HAVE to win at least 10 so we can show them Manny has things moving in a positive direction.
  • The mark of every Butch coached team at the U, with the possible exception of the 97' season, because we were simply ravaged by scholly reductions that season, was that the teams gradually got better as the season progressed and always crescendoed at the end. We shouldn't hope for this, that should be the expectation. Don't think I'll see that with the ST's, but I definitely think we'll see that with the O and I'm hoping, hoping, hoping, that happens with the D, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • I still believe Manny can do this job and get us there. If he were left a better place kicker and more OL talent, we'd currently be sitting at 2-0 with a much rosier outlook on things. He's made a lot of good changes and as long as he continues to demand accountability for EVERYONE associated with the program, I do believe he will rebuild this team.
  • Oh, and on an Enos note - much better play calling and Jarren played better and improved his pocket presence. Looks like we will need Enos O to bail the team out of tight jams this season in the way that our D has for the last couple of years. As long as Enos keeps improving and Jarren keeps improving, I'm on board.

Some of that is by choice because of what happened at Texas with Duane Akina

Right off the bat Incan tell you of his chouces

Stroud and Patke are very sub par hires

Previous teams would have folded. That’s about the only good thing I can say about coaching

"The fact that Manny settled on a couple of his coaches and DIDN'T spend real money and do a real nationwide search for a great ST's coach is already hurting his tenure."

Miami... or should I say Blake James didnt even conduct a search for the HC. Why should Manny care? Nevermind Manny... The U is the problem.

lol. 10 wins.
bad oline is still bad.
bad defense is bad.
st is beyond bad.
coordinators looking bad now too.
Penos gets a c+ vs. a mediocre unc def.

mandy sholden the vacuum salesman until otherwise proven.

had a bad juju going after watching 2-10 unc last week. that coordinater staff and howell get props. mack hired well and got a legit qb.

every p5 game is a tossup at this point.
CMU not a gimmee at this point.

mope-mobile is warmin up in the garage.

Advertisement
I'm hopeful Manny can get it done, but he's got to get the team to fear him a bit. If this team played fundamentally sound football, they would win at least 10 games every year. Cut the number of penalties to fewer than 5 per game, cut the number of drops, make 100% of field goals less than 30 yards in length, etc. Unfortunately, they seem more concerned about turnover chains, touchdown rings, and that other bs.

This team needs someone to give them a dose of humility - let them know their **** does actually stink and they are not entitled to anything. Another team that deals with this same kind of issue is FSU (even moreso for them).

Previous teams would have folded. That’s about the only good thing I can say about coaching

It’s almost worse that this team keeps fighting and still loses. At least when they quit we could come up with an excuse as to why they sucked

You’re using too much logic. Stop before you set off the hive mindset

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back