Weekend Diamond Wrap-Up

View as article
I've never in my life seen anyone claim that hitters should stop swinging so much in hitters counts and that it would be better to let the count run to 2-2. Because first round draft picks are likely to just serve one up with two strikes.

Good grief.

Advertisement
Miami did exactly this. I have shown you the evidence. First pitch, more swings. Slightly ahead in the count, more swings.

The problem- as I've written multiple times now- is that they did not make hard contact when they did swing. If you're going to swing, you need to make hard contact. If a pitch is on the black, you should not be swinging unless you have to (I have no idea where you got this idea that they should not be swinging at strikes when they have two strikes on them, that was never written. The problem is they are swinging at pitches that are out of the strike zone when they have two strikes).

I truly enjoy engaging with commenters on my articles, but when you make a comment, then the exact situations you commented on (not me) are presented to you and the results are not what you expected, how is that to be taken?
When do they have to swing at pitches on the black? With 2 strikes. That is what I said.

It a little more than just swing at bad pitches, but you are right which proves my point that the should be swinging at the better pitches earlier I'm the count that just happen to be strikes.

The hitters need to hit the ball to the opposite field with 2 strikes. The pitchers are painting the outside black and expanding the zone outside with 2 strikes. They are rarely throwing inside with 2 strikes. They should sit on the 2 strike outside pitch and tip their cap if the pitcher paints the inside corner for a strikeout. This would cut down on the strikeout because they're pulling off of outside pitches. It's a weakness in most of the Canes hitters IMO.

"If you're going to swing, you need to make hard contact".

No %$&*. I wonder why no one else thought of that earlier.

When do they have to swing at pitches on the black? With 2 strikes. That is what I said.

It a little more than just swing at bad pitches, but you are right which proves my point that the should be swinging at the better pitches earlier I'm the count that just happen to be strikes.

The hitters need to hit the ball to the opposite field with 2 strikes. The pitchers are painting the outside black and expanding the zone outside with 2 strikes. They are rarely throwing inside with 2 strikes. They should sit on the 2 strike outside pitch and tip their cap if the pitcher paints the inside corner for a strikeout. This would cut down on the strikeout because they're pulling off of outside pitches. It's a weakness in most of the Canes hitters IMO.

See, we can agree! If you'll read the initial article, you'll see that I've indicated they are pull-happy and not fouling off pitches on the black with two strikes. Then I indicated Burns showed an opposite field approach with two strikes. When you swing at strikes (prior to two strikes) you have to hit the ball hard. Not foul it off. Not swing and miss, hit it hard. Look at the disparity in how Florida approached things versus how Miami did it.

Great to have you onboard. Now we just have to work on Jagr.

It's going to be a fun season.

Now we just have to work on Jagr.

Jagr is shaking his head at some of the "analysis" that has been written in this thread. The #1 pick in the MLB draft is on the mound, and he doesn't walk people? TAKE MORE PITCHES!!!

None of your data can be taken seriously.

Advertisement
When you swing at strikes (prior to two strikes) you have to hit the ball hard. Not foul it off. Not swing and miss, hit it hard. Look at the disparity in how Florida approached things versus how Miami did it.

That's not a disparity in approach. That's a disparity in talent. If our guys could hit draftable pitching hard, they would do it. They can't.

Florida has good hitters, we have mediocre pitching. We have mediocre hitters, Florida has GREAT pitching. BUT WHY DON'T WE JUST DO WHAT FLORIDA DOES???

Silly.

Advertisement
Back