Week 3 Stat Roll

As always, only games against FBS opponents are factored into these numbers. Still not a huge story to tell since we're only 2 games in and half the country isn't playing yet, but here we go. Normally, these numbers are out of 130 FBS teams. So far this year, only 51 FBS teams have played. So all of these rankings would be out of 51 teams.

Offense:

Yards per play: 5th (7.05 YPP) -- We finished last year 89th, by the way
Points per game: 10th (39 PPG)
Passing yards per game: 20th (241.5 YPG)
Passing completion percentage: 21st (63.2%)
Passing yards per attempt: 14th (8.5 YPA)
Passer rating: 14th (157.5)
Rushing yards per game: 7th (248.5 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt: 6th (6.06 YPA)
Sacks given up per game: 19th (1.5 per game)
3rd down conversion %: 20th (43.3%)
4th down conversion %: 1st (100% -- 2 for 2)
TFLs allowed per game: 24th (7 per game)
Red Zone TD %: 17th (71% TD rate, 5 TDs in 7 chances)
Red Zone Scoring %: 1st (7 scores in 7 chances) -- WE HAVE A KICKER!
Field goal %: 1st (5 out of 5) -- I SAY AGAIN, WE HAVE A KICKER!
PAT %: 1st (9 out of 9) -- CAN YOU HEAR ME IN THE BACK??

Defense:

Yards per play allowed: 23rd (5.49 YPP)
Points per game allowed: 18th (24.0 PPG)
Passing yards per game allowed: 29th (256.0 YPG)
Passing completion percentage allowed: 27th (63.4%)
Passing yards per attempt: 21st (7.2 YPA)
Passer rating allowed: 29th (139.72)
Rushing yards per game allowed: 22nd (144.5 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt allowed: 21st (3.85 YPA)
Sacks per game: 18th (2.00 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 9th (24.14% allowed)
4th down % allowed: 32nd (75.0% allowed)
TFLs per game: 9th (9.0 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 30th (75% allowed -- 6 TDs in 8 chances)
Red Zone Scoring % allowed: 30th, which is tied for last (100% allowed -- 8 scores in 8 chances)
Punting: 8th (45.78 Yard average)

Team Stats:

Penalties: 30th (7.0 penalties per game)
Penalty yards: 32nd (59.5 Yards per game)
Turnover margin: 8th (1.00 per game -- 3 takeaways, 1 giveaways)
Time of possession: 41st (26:27 per game)
Number of offensive plays: 16th (Avg 69.5 plays per game)

Takeaways:

Again, nothing to get too excited about, as we're only 2 games in and 3 P5 conferences haven't started playing yet. And since there are very few OOC games this year (and no P5 vs P5, I believe), I might just start doing these as only ranks within the ACC going forward. We'll see. BUT, that being said, through 2 games, are we at least allowed to give a tiny head nod of acknowledgement to Manny Diaz for bringing Rhett Lashlee and D'Eriq King here? As many of us have said, these dudes are the REAL DEAL, and those offensive numbers are better than anything we've seen in a long, long time. Again, long way to go, but 7.05 YPP would be the best mark of at least the last 10 seasons, and by a decent margin. The offense will only continue to get better. Honestly, it could have been better on Saturday night, but dropped passes and penalties (some of them phantom calls) stunted a few drives. And we all know that Louisville defense is still hot dumpster juice, but we did what we're supposed to do with Miami talent and a QB worthy of Heisman consideration....drilled their asses and almost dropped a 50 burger on the road.

The defense is struggling at times, as we know, but let's call a spade a spade....IMO that Louisville offense is the 2nd best we will face all season. As I said all week on here, no shame in giving up some yards and points. It's **** near impossible to shut down teams in 2020 the way the rules are written, and that's a good offensive football team. But, this is how you give you offense a chance to win football games on the road:

Drive 1 -- 1st and 10 on our 28, we hold them to 3
Drive 2 -- 4 plays and out, punt
Drive 3 -- 1st and 10 on our 11, we hold them to 3 (dodged a bullet here as Cunningham had a wide open receiver for a TD, but, oops. Not my fault you choked)
Drive 4 -- 3 plays and out, punt
Drive 5 -- 7 play drive, ends with a sack on 4th down and 0 points
Drive 6 -- 4 play drive, ends with a Blades INT and 0 points
Drive 7 -- End of the half

7 drives, 6 points. And you go into the break on the road against a potent offense with a 20-6 lead and in full control of the football game.

So yes, the defense needs to improve. We know that. And I'd have really loved to see the offense step on their throat at the end of the half with 2 chances to go up 27-6 at the half and essentially crush their hopes, but we stalled. Need to have more of a killer instinct. But, all that being said, if you walk into an opponent's stadium against a LEGIT top 20 offense and they get 7 chances with the ball and score 6 points, that's a MASSIVE win for your defense. As we've said all summer, you pair a performance like that with a good offense and bang....it's 20-6 at the half, you're well on your way to beating a good, ranked team on the road.

2 games in, 9 (hopefully) to go. We should have a chance to pad the defensive stats this week against a putrid FSU offense missing their coach and play-caller. Let's go put a hurting on that clown show and get a week off to get ready to go into Death Valley. But I'm sorry, even the biggest hater on this site has to be impressed with what we've seen so far. It hasn't been perfect (and rarely is, with any team) but we have a pretty decent defense--at worst--and we have a **** good offense led by a kid who is mature as **** and really talented.

Lastly, 2018 was honestly the worst punting performance I've ever seen at the P5 level. Ever. Enter Lou Hedley, the dude is averaging almost fifty yards a punt. An absolute weapon.

2019 was honestly the worst placekicking performance I've ever seen at the P5 level. Ever. Enter Andres Borregales, and he's 5/5 on FGs and out here smoking 57 yarders like they're cake. An absolute weapon.

So in 2 years we went from MASSIVE holes at P and K to possibly the best combination in the entire country. Manny Diaz and his staff deserve props for recognizing weaknesses and addressing them in a big way.

Advertisement
cushion GIF

Penalties and Overall D, needs to get better. Penalties are highly fixable.. Overall D is somewhat fixable...

Penalties are actually down slightly from last year but yes you're 100% correct. Needs to be better.

And I can handle aggressive penalties. Most of the ones we've gotten this year are just dumb as fvck. That needs to be cleaned up ASAP.

Advertisement
Penalties are actually down slightly from last year but yes you're 100% correct. Needs to be better.

And I can handle aggressive penalties. Most of the ones we've gotten this year are just dumb as fvck. That needs to be cleaned up ASAP.
Scaife needs to freaking Focus... I'm actually shocked our most experienced/supposed best OL is our most penalized.. With the RB's we have, need to clean it up, so we're not taking away big time runs..

I agree with basically everything you wrote. This year it's honestly about having an exciting offense and winning as many games as possible imo. That will generate a ton of buzz and help us kill it in recruiting going forward. Obviously, I'd like the defense to be as good as possible but as long as they don't suck (which I don't think they will), recruits won't care too much.

This is definitely the best I've felt about the team since the early 2000's....I don't have to convince myself we're good and ignore the voice in the back of my head...I know we're good.

I agree with basically everything you wrote. This year it's honestly about having an exciting offense and winning as many games as possible imo. That will generate a ton of buzz and help us kill it in recruiting going forward. Obviously, I'd like the defense to be as good as possible but as long as they don't suck (which I don't think they will), recruits won't care too much.

This is definitely the best I've felt about the team since the early 2000's....I don't have to convince myself we're good and ignore the voice in the back of my head...I know we're good.

Agreed, and IMO there's just no glaring holes that I can see for the first time in a long time.

Last year we all had our breath held coming out of camp about starting a redshirt freshman at RT and a true freshman at LT, and by halftime of Game 1 it was evident we had a huge weakness. After Week 2, we didn't even ATTEMPT a kick over 40 yards. We didn't even try. Again, Manny knew we had a huge, glaring hole in that part of the team.

I just don't see the gigantic weakness we need to mask this year. Yes, we know this isn't the best team in the country, but where is the massive hole? I don't see one and I really think this is going to be a tough team to beat this year.

Advertisement
TrumpyCane is calling it out now

We beat Clemson and TrumpyCane will be in Death Valley to enjoy it
There's not a single thing that JD would like to see more than to have you be correct.

Take pictures. Document their pain.

At any level of competitive football, penalties are highly SUBJECTIVE. Enter that corrupt ACC officiating crews!! Case in point: Louisville literally GOT AWAY with at least a handful of penalties on offense. For example, their two tackles had a HANDFUL of DE Hurricane jerseys. No pun intended.

Nevertheless, Miami has an offense now. As well as two FUTURE NFL kickers! So that combination was more than enough to defeat Louisville and THEIR good ol' boy DEEP SOUTH conference officiating crew on Saturn night. huh?

Defense just has to bend and not break on most drives and continue to force turnovers which really energizes us.

As long as we do that and the offense continues to protect the football we should win every game that we should win.

Agreed, and IMO there's just no glaring holes that I can see for the first time in a long time.

Last year we all had our breath held coming out of camp about starting a redshirt freshman at RT and a true freshman at LT, and by halftime of Game 1 it was evident we had a huge weakness. After Week 2, we didn't even ATTEMPT a kick over 40 yards. We didn't even try. Again, Manny knew we had a huge, glaring hole in that part of the team.

I just don't see the gigantic weakness we need to mask this year. Yes, we know this isn't the best team in the country, but where is the massive hole? I don't see one and I really think this is going to be a tough team to beat this year.
Our glaring hole is on the sideline. Blake Baker.

Advertisement
I honestly believe our defense will statistically regress in just about every category mainly because of the offense. We have been notorious for getting off to slow starts. Not anymore.

I think (and hope) we'll get off to early leads and having significant lead heading into halftime. Then 2nd half you'll see more of a prevent type of defense allowing for yards and ultimately points. We will continue to see more turnovers as well as offenses will take bigger risks. You saw it with Louisville. I think we'll see more of that type of performance throughout the season.

What I'm not sure about though is...does that mean our defense is worse? Or are they just playing to win games and ultimately that makes the team better?

At any level of competitive football, penalties are highly SUBJECTIVE. Enter that corrupt ACC officiating crews!! Case in point: Louisville literally GOT AWAY with at least a handful of penalties on offense. For example, their two tackles had a HANDFUL of DE Hurricane jerseys. No pun intended.

Nevertheless, Miami has an offense now. As well as two FUTURE NFL kickers! So that combination was more than enough to defeat Louisville and THEIR good ol' boy DEEP SOUTH conference officiating crew on Saturn night. huh?
Yeah, we need to clean up penalties, but the refs were one-sided as well. That personal foul on Scaife for pulling the guy off of Cam was a fair call, but only if they had called an offsetting personal foul on the guy he pulled off, who was purposely staying on top of Cam and putting weight on this head and neck well after the play was over. The lack of a personal foul when they hit Hedley was ridiculous too.

Advertisement
And I give a bobble head continual bounce to the fact in two games we've given up less sacks that in two quarters vs Gators last season, and that in this season's first game we already surpassed last season's best rushing total (By 80 **** yards).

only thing you had wrong was you said with 9 games ( hopefully ) left.

That should be 12 games ( hopefully ) left...

Advertisement
Back