Week 12 Stat Roll

Advertisement
There are certain penalties that are always going to plague this team as long as they keep the aggressive mindset that built the program. Offsides, occasional late hits, defensive holding/PI penalties. This is nothing new if you’ve watched the last 40 years of Miami football. We were always among the National leaders in penalty yardage, even during the best years. It didn’t matter much when they were more talented but when the talent gap isn’t huge, it could end up costing the team a game. They have to really try to tone down the boneheaded stuff that we saw against VT that kept drives alive on defense.

What these stats tell me is that we went from below average to average. Hence we’re in these dog fights w/ below average teams.

I don’t think it’s rocket science to remedy this. What gets us in trouble are the YACs & penalties on defense, and the OL & penalties on offense. The commonality are the penalties. They’ve either sustained drives or taken us out of goal to goal range.

I guarantee if this gets cleaned up, these nail biting one score games against the likes of UVA, Pitt, NC St, will be become 12-14 point victories.

I was peeping the OU v. OK St game, and Bookie made a nice play on the ball & began taunting OK St’s WR. That play was supposed to be 4th & 8; it became 1st & 10. Bookie tried to take responsibility & he mouthed “that was on me coach”, and he gestured to stay in. Lincoln yanked his lil’ @&$ out. That penalty led to a score, and he let Bookie know that entire series while he sat out. Bookie came back in later, and he was quiet w his mouth.

Too often I see our players commit an egregious penalty & either stay in, or they come out for a play or two, and are right back in. I’ve been seeing this for yrs. To me, since Butch has left, we’ve had nothing but coddling, players coaches. Clappy, Golden, Richt, and now Diaz. I don’t think Shannon was too much of a player’s coach vs. not knowing what the **** he was doing (lol). But our discipline left when we began hiring guys who just tow the line v. rocking the boat. I think our players like Diaz, but I doubt any fear any repercussions.

Alabama is 88th in the country in penalties.

Last year, they were 120th.

Honestly....dead *** honestly, who breeds these people?? The
Correction; as of 11/19-Bama is 92nd in penalties & Miami is 122nd

Edit: Bama is 72nd in penalty yards & Miami is 120th in penalty yards. So it appears while both teams r struggling with the penalty category, are penalties are especially egregious compared to the rest of P5. Only WVA & FSPoo lacks more discipline than us as far as P5 conference teams.

Last edited:
What these stats tell me is that we went from below average to average. Hence we’re in these dog fights w/ below average teams.

I don’t think it’s rocket science to remedy this. What gets us in trouble are the YACs & penalties on defense, and the OL & penalties on offense. The commonality are the penalties. They’ve either sustained drives or taken us out of goal to goal range.

I guarantee if this gets cleaned up, these nail biting one score games against the likes of UVA, Pitt, NC St, will be become 12-14 point victories.

I was peeping the OU v. OK St game, and Bookie made a nice play on the ball & began taunting OK St’s WR. That play was supposed to be 4th & 8; it became 1st & 10. Bookie tried to take responsibility & he mouthed “that was on me coach”, and he gestured to stay in. Lincoln yanked his lil’ @&$ out. That penalty led to a score, and he let Bookie know that entire series while he sat out. Bookie came back in later, and he was quiet w his mouth.

Too often I see our players commit an egregious penalty & either stay in, or they come out for a play or two, and are right back in. I’ve been seeing this for yrs. To me, since Butch has left, we’ve had nothing but coddling, players coaches. Clappy, Golden, Richt, and now Diaz. I don’t think Shannon was too much of a player’s coach vs. not knowing what the **** he was doing (lol). But our discipline left when we began hiring guys who just tow the line v. rocking the boat. I think our players like Diaz, but I doubt any fear any repercussions.

Bookie has been doing that same dumbass **** for literally 3 years now and he's still playing. He's a ******* moron, but he can play, so he plays.

Not defending Manny here or any other coach. These kids are undisciplined as ****. But they were under Richt, under Golden, under Randy, under (insert every coach we've ever had here). But I will say it seems the SUPER dumb ones have increased this year. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that way.

Advertisement
Correction; as of 11/19-Bama is 92nd in penalties & Miami is 122nd
Bookie has been doing that same dumbass **** for literally 3 years now and he's still playing. He's a ******* moron, but he can play, so he plays.

Not defending Manny here or any other coach. These kids are undisciplined as ****. But they were under Richt, under Golden, under Randy, under (insert every coach we've ever had here). But I will say it seems the SUPER dumb ones have increased this year. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that way.
I also think these kids see old highlights of us in our “bad boy stage” where we didn’t give af about a flag, and would still beat the brakes off a team, and they equate that to swagger. The thing they don’t realize is we were much more talented than the rest of America during those days, and the game has changed significantly since that time as well.

I also think these kids see old highlights of us in our “bad boy stage” where we didn’t give af about a flag, and would still beat the brakes off a team, and they equate that to swagger. The thing they don’t realize is we were much more talented than the rest of America during those days, and the game has changed significantly since that time as well.
Much more talented , smarter and unreal work ethic in those days. Practice was a blood bath.

Absolutely. We had more penalty yards in the 91 cotton bowl than Texas had offense. You can afford 200 yards of penalties when you're miles better than the other team. Hence my post earlier about Bama. They're way low in penalties and yards annually. But they always win. Because they can overcome it. We're not good enough to do that.

Advertisement
OBM - I read these each week as I am a stats guy. You do a great job on this and I know it is a lot of work. Just want to take the time to thank you for what you do. We appreciate it. As with all things stats reflect something but don't tell the true story of a team. I think this team is a tad better than the stats as I believe there are individual play makers on the team that make the team better than the stats. Like if a team runs away from Jalean they may get Roche. They may fare better against Roche but they still not getting first downs. I think that should show up somewhere in the stats but it does not always show in them. Tecoury can erase what would ordinarily be a good chance for the offense statistically speaking. So the question is I guess is are we just as good as the stats - an above average team or are we better? I think we are better but still not great. I think King is even better than his stats. What do you think?

Defense bailed us out against Pitt, UVA and VT. Those are three very likely losses if not for some timely stops with the offense struggling.

Only TD allowed in the 4th quarter since Clemson was the busted coverage by Blades vs UVA.

UAB: sub-300 yards, 1 TD was on short field
LOU: forced multiple FGs, 40-20 in the 4th
FSU: dominant performance
CLEM: poor showing, no help from offense
PITT: forced 6 punts, 3-17 on 3rd down
UVA: not perfect but adjusted and won
NCST: poor showing, great 4th q
VT: kept game close, great 4th q

The optics surrounding 1-loss Miami will be good on December 19 when CFP decided. Lone loss was in early October to top-3 team on the road.

To get there Miami must shake up the OL and get healthy on offense. King, Harris, Chaney, Jordan, Mallory appear banged up so the 2 weeks off could benefit them.

Defensively it's time for Bolden and Blades to regain their form while Phillips, Roche, Silvera, Hunte, Frierson, Couch continue blossoming.

Ford just played his best game. Brooks has supplanted McCloud at WLB and Flagg looks poised to split snaps at MLB. Hall, Carter, Ivey are serviceable when they're not lost in zone coverage.

It's not always pretty but it's not all bad on defense, especially late in games. If the offense plays slightly above average we should finish 10-1 with a shot at the CFP if things break our way (Clemson blows out ND, Alabama beats Florida, A&M drops one of their final three games).

We would get in ahead of undefeated Oregon, BYU and Cincy. I predict they will be rewarded with NY6 bids along with Notre Dame, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Northwestern while 10-1 Miami sneaks into the CFP.

The CFP is desperate for diversity. Everyone's had it with Bama, Clemson, OSU and they want to generate excitement with that 4th team. Notre Dame has more cache but a blowout loss hours before the committee decides will help us out.

Last edited:
Defense bailed us out against Pitt, UVA and VT. Those are three very likely losses if not for some timely stops with the offense struggling.

Only TD allowed in the 4th quarter since Clemson was the busted coverage by Blades vs UVA.

UAB: sub-300 yards, 1 TD was on short field
LOU: forced multiple FGs, 40-20 in the 4th
FSU: dominant performance
CLEM: poor showing, no help from offense
PITT: forced 6 punts, 3-17 on 3rd down
UVA: not perfect but adjusted and won
NCST: poor showing, great 4th q
VT: kept game close, great 4th q

The optics surrounding 1-loss Miami will be good on December 19 when CFP decided. Lone loss was in early October to top-3 team on the road.

To get there Miami must shake up the OL and get healthy on offense. King, Harris, Chaney, Jordan, Mallory appear banged up so the 2 weeks off could benefit them.

Defensively it's time for Bolden and Blades to regain their form while Phillips, Roche, Silvera, Hunte, Frierson, Couch continue blossoming.

Ford just played his best game. Brooks has supplanted McCloud at WLB and Flagg looks poised to split snaps at MLB. Hall, Carter, Ivey are serviceable when they're not lost in zone coverage.

It's not always pretty but it's not all bad on defense, especially late in games. If the offense plays slightly above average we should finish 10-1 with a shot at the CFP if things break our way (Clemson blows out ND, Alabama beats Florida, A&M drops one of their final three games).

We would get in ahead of undefeated Oregon, BYU and Cincy. I predict they will be rewarded with NY6 bids along with Notre Dame, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Northwestern while 10-1 Miami sneaks into the CFP.

The CFP is desperate for diversity. Everyone's had it with Bama, Clemson, OSU and they want to generate excitement with that 4th team. Notre Dame has more cache but a blowout loss hours before the committee decides will help us out.
The issue for several years is there hasn’t been many teams that could challenge the status quo of Bama, Clemson, and OSU. The 4 spot has been somewhat up for grabs with OK and UGA usually in there. That could very well change in this unusual year.

OBM - I read these each week as I am a stats guy. You do a great job on this and I know it is a lot of work. Just want to take the time to thank you for what you do. We appreciate it. As with all things stats reflect something but don't tell the true story of a team. I think this team is a tad better than the stats as I believe there are individual play makers on the team that make the team better than the stats. Like if a team runs away from Jalean they may get Roche. They may fare better against Roche but they still not getting first downs. I think that should show up somewhere in the stats but it does not always show in them. Tecoury can erase what would ordinarily be a good chance for the offense statistically speaking. So the question is I guess is are we just as good as the stats - an above average team or are we better? I think we are better but still not great. I think King is even better than his stats. What do you think?

I think we're an above average team. I think that's fairly obvious. The concerning thing to me though, is we're 8 games into this thing and we've rarely clicked on all cylinders for a full game. I'm sure people will point to this and say Manny sucks, and that's fine. But it's been somewhat disjointed most of the year, except for the FSU game. BUT...if you're gonna play your best game of the year, that's the one to do it in.

I think this team is much more balanced this year. Last year, we knew that if the defense struggled, we had virtually no shot to win. Now, there's more balance between the units. The offense had a down game vs UVA (5.69 YPP is not bad, but we only scored 19 points), and the defense absolutely vaporized them for the first 25 minutes of the 2nd half. The next week, we have literally one of the best 10 games offensively in the history of the school, but the defense couldn't stop a nosebleed until very late, and we needed just about every one of those 44 points to win. The next week, the offense puts up a terrible 4.49 YPP and can't block a soul, but the defense answers the bell and makes stop after stop after stop late to preserve a 1 point win.

So I think it's definitely a better team than last year. If nothing else, King and Borregales tell us that. But it's probably not that much better, to be honest. Last year we lost a lot of games we should have won (had + win % in UNC, GT, Duke and FIU games I believe). This year, we're winning those games because we have a competent QB and a kicker who doesn't belong playing flag football.

I just want to see another complete performance at least once over the next 3 games. We'll probably need it for UNC, so let's save it for that night. A game where we click on offense, put up 35+ points, 6+ YPP, and the defense causes a ton of havoc and plays the way they have in the last few 2nd halves for the entire 60 minutes.

Advertisement
Stats look middle of the road across the board, which seems right. We can beat just about any team outside of the top 5, but we could also lose to just about any of those teams too. Great improvement for the offense in just one year though.

this is called program carryover. new generation of players sees the old generation doing it and they repeat the behavior and then it repeats itself over and over again. until there are serious consequences for the behavior, it will not change.

Advertisement
Back