Wealth of QBs in Texas this cycle

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
Last week's update of the Top247 rankings now have eight Texas quarterbacks ranked in the national top 200 overall prospects.

Kaidon Salter 4 stars
Composite ranks him ninth nationally among 2021 dual-threat QB's and 39th overall in Texas for his class. Top247 rankings put Salter significantly higher. He is a top 100 prospect at No. 89 overall, fourth nationally among 2021 dual-threat QB's, and No. 12 overall in the Lone Star State, where he sits atop the in-state QB rankings.
Salter threw for 2,550 yards, 28 touchdowns, and six interceptions, while rushing for 616 yards and 10 TD's in 2019, when he led Cedar Hill to a 9-3 record and Texas Class 6A Division II second-round playoff appearance. In addition to football, Salter is a track and field standout who competes in the high jump, long jump, and triple jump.
Uncommitted.

Jalen Milroe 4 stars
The highest-ranked 2021 quarterback in Texas on the 247Sports Composite and No. 2 in the updated Top247 rankings. Both put Milroe in the top 100 overall nationally.
Milroe committed this past July to Texas and remains pledged to the Longhorns.
As a junior in 2019, Milroe threw for 2,689 yards, 29 touchdowns, and eight interceptions, while running for 378 yards and eight TD's on 5.2 yards per carry. Milroe spearheaded the best season for Tompkins to date since starting varsity competition in 2013. Tompkins finished the season 11-2 and reached the third round of the Texas Class 6A Division I playoff bracket.

Dematrius Davis (Corey Flagg's teammate) 4 stars
one of the most accomplished quarterbacks in the nation's 2021 recruiting class. The 247Sports Composite ranks Davis as a top 120 national prospect and the No. 6 dual-threat QB, while the Top247 puts Davis in the top 100 at No. 98 overall, as well as sixth among 2021 dual-threat QB's and No. 15 overall in the Lone Star State.
Davis led Houston-area juggernaut Galena Park North Shore to its second consecutive state title in 2019, when he threw for 2,393 yards, 30 touchdowns, and five interceptions, while running for 1,171 yards and 21 TD's.
Davis committed in mid-November to the Hokies, who he chose over almost 30 other offers, including Auburn, Baylor, LSU, TCU, Texas A&M, and many other schools.

Preston Stone 4 stars
The 247Sports Composite ranks Stone in the top 100 nationally at No. 88 overall, as well as fifth nationally among 2021 dual-threat quarterbacks and No. 12 overall in the Lone Star State's 2021 class.
Stone led Dallas Parish Episcopal to the 2019 Division I state crown in the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools.
His junior season saw him throw for 3,271 yards, 37 touchdowns, and four interceptions, along with 876 rushing yards and 11 TD's on 9.3 yards per carry. Stone has thrown for almost 10,000 yards and accounted for more than 130 total touchdowns in the last three seasons.
Stone committed Jan. 4 to SMU, which he chose over offers from more than 40 other offers.

Eli Stowers 4 stars
The 247Sports Composite ranks Stowers in the top 150 nationally and No. 25 overall in Texas, while the Top247 rankings put him at No. 117 in the country's 2021 class and No. 21 overall in the state of Texas.
His 2019 season included 2,969 passing yards, 36 touchdowns, and only four interceptions, while he ran for 1,166 yards and 11 TD's on 8.4 yards per carry. In two seasons as Guyer's starter, Stowers has thrown for more than 4,500 yards and run for almost 2,300 yards, accounting for nearly 70 total touchdowns in 2018 and 2019.
He's the reigning Texas 6A state champion in the high jump and owns a personal best of 7 feet.
Stowers led his team to the Texas Class 6A Div 2 state title game where he suffered a knee injury.
He committed early last July to the Aggies, who he picked over offers from Baylor, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Oregon, and more than a dozen other schools.

Sawyer Robertson 4 stars
The 247Sports Composite ranks Robertson as a top 175 national prospect, No. 9 among 2021 pro-style QB's, and No. 29 overall in Texas. The Top247 puts him higher across the board: No. 154 nationally, No. 7 among 2021 pro-style QB's, and No. 24 overall in the Lone Star State.
Robertson finished the 2019 season with 3,914 yards, 44 TD throws, and eight interceptions. He led Lubbock Coronado to a 7-5 record and a second-round playoff appearance in the Texas Class 5A Division I bracket.
Uncommitted

Garrett Nussmeier, 4 stars ( son of Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks coach Doug Nussmeier, )
He's ranked No. 132 overall in the country's 2021 class, per the 247Sports Composite, which also puts him seventh nationally among 2021 pro-style QB's and No. 23 overall in the state of Texas for his class.
Nussmeier threw for 3,788 yards, 38 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions during his junior season as he completed almost 67 percent of his pass attempts. He led Flower Mound Marcus to an 11-2 record and a third-round playoff berth in the Texas Class 6A Division II bracket.
Uncommitted

Shedeur Sanders 4 stars (son of Pro Football Hall of Famer Deion Sanders, )
The 247Sports Composite ranks Sanders at No. 236 overall in the 2021 class, as well as No. 14 nationally among 2021 pro-style QB's and No. 38 overall in the Lone Star State.
Sanders threw for 3,459 yards, 47 touchdowns, and only four interceptions, while running for 226 yards and 11 TD's. led Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill to its third consecutive Division II crown in the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools.
Uncommitted

Behren Morton, 4 stars
The 247Sports Composite ranks Morton at No. 230 overall in the country's 2021 class and No. 36 overall in Texas, while the Top247 rankings put Morton higher: No. 180 nationally and No. 31 overall in the Lone Star State.
Morton threw for 2,766 yards, 29 touchdowns, and five interceptions, while rushing for 156 yards and six TD's.
Morton committed in Mid October to Texas Tech

Kyron Drones 3 stars
The 247Sports Composite rates Drones as a strong three-star recruit ranked No. 18 nationally among 2021 dual-threat quarterbacks, as well as No. 74 overall in the state of Texas. 247 Sports rates him as a high three-star ranked 11th among 2021 dual-threat QB's and No. 47 overall in the Lone Star State.
He threw for 3,390 yards, 46 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions, while rushing for 825 yards and 18 TD's on more than six yards per carry. Drones led Shadow Creek High to a perfect 16-0 record, winning a Texas Class 5A Division I state championship .
Uncommitted

So far Lashlee is speaking with Nussmeier, Milroe and Davis. Would be great to reach out to Drones and Salter.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
This cycle? lol

Try any cycle. That's the one thing the Lone Star state has on every one else. Maybe California is the only competition for that title.

Drew Brees
Vince Young
Nick Foles
Colt McCoy
Matthew Stafford
RG3
Andrew Luck
Johnny Manziel
Patrick Mahomes
Baker Mayfield
Kyler Murray
Jalen Hurts

They've been putting out dudes.

His brother spurned them for South Carolina a year ago....I think he is the goods. I would recruit/.ecaluate him

The thing is, he plays in the TAPPS division which even as close as talented to the UIL. Its hard to evaluate him when his competition is similar to 2A ball in the Northern Panhandle of Florida. With all of the mess that has gone on at that school. I hope he transfers to a public school in Texas for his senior year.

Cedar Hill, Duncanville, and Desoto are all close by and he should transfer to one of those schools and prove himself against top competition.

Advertisement
Texas is the epicenter of HS quarterbacking. I'd be scouring Texas every **** year. Even their lower ranked guys go on to success.
It's what I been preaching on the board, in the 21 class alone 14 OOS schools have a TX QB committed to them & there's still 3-5 more who are uncommitted & will undoubtedly be committing to non-Texas schools as well.

People forget that Pat Mahomes was a 3-star QB ranked 398th nationally, 50th in the state of TX in composite ratings & 82nd in 247 only ratings & was the 29th Pro-style QB in his class.

In that same class he was ranked behind Kyle Allen, Deshaun Watson, Will Grier (lol), Keller Chryst, Jerrod Heard (who got converted to WR), Brandon Harris (who was a total bust at LSU), the Legendary JJ Cosentino at FSU, Deshone Kizer at Notre Lame & our very own Brad Kaaya.

I've discussed this before, maybe there's something in the water, maybe it's the heavy Baseball culture in TX, maybe it's the Varsity Blues style Dads lol but Tejas produces some gifted passers with elite arm talent in every class & the volume itself is unmatched. You might get 2 to 3 maybe 4 in most regions per class, in TX you're getting like 8-10 deep a year & often times the lowest ranked ones be the kids who have the best success.

If I'm Lashlee, for the 2022 class I'd offer every **** kid down there until we landed one.

It's what I been preaching on the board, in the 21 class alone 14 OOS schools have a TX QB committed to them & there's still 3-5 more who are uncommitted & will undoubtedly be committing to non-Texas schools as well.

People forget that Pat Mahomes was a 3-star QB ranked 398th nationally, 50th in the state of TX in composite ratings & 82nd in 247 only ratings & was the 29th Pro-style QB in his class.

In that same class he was ranked behind Kyle Allen, Deshaun Watson, Will Grier (lol), Keller Chryst, Jerrod Heard (who got converted to WR), Brandon Harris (who was a total bust at LSU), the Legendary JJ Cosentino at FSU, Deshone Kizer at Notre Lame & our very own Brad Kaaya.

I've discussed this before, maybe there's something in the water, maybe it's the heavy Baseball culture in TX, maybe it's the Varsity Blues style Dads lol but Tejas produces some gifted passers with elite arm talent in every class & the volume itself is unmatched. You might get 2 to 3 maybe 4 in most regions per class, in TX you're getting like 8-10 deep a year & often times the lowest ranked ones be the kids who have the best success.

If I'm Lashlee, for the 2022 class I'd offer every **** kid down there until we landed one.

For me, it's the level of pressure that these kids deal with from an early age. These kids enter the college game having played on similar stages for the previous 2-4 years.

They're also playing in college-level offenses under coaches that spend 70-hours a week working on football just like high-level college coaches. These kids in Texas are being trained like they're at the next level when they're 15 years old. That has an effect on the mentality of a player. The down side is that this over-training and over coaching of players means that position players will have peaked in HS (which sucks for them because there's no growth potential left). The positive is that for the QBs this level of preparation means that they have prepared like and played against D1 level talent prior to entering college.

Four of the last nine Heisman Trophy winners have been QBs that played their HS ball in Texas. That's an INSANE statistic.

Advertisement
Texas football is prestigious and a lot of money gets pumped in to programs...

I get it that Florida has tons of untapped potential and cielings... but Texas kids have amazing coaching and get put in more camps and more training that most.

I have buddies at work who have their kids working with trainers who specialize in crafts as early aa 7 or 8... whether it’s football(QB,WR,etc) or baseball (hitting coach, fielding coach, and of course pitching)

they get these kids groomed super early and start working traveling teams

probably from slingin the pill since middle school in spread offenses. Tx took to the spread a loooong time ago, Briles switched in the 90s (some say he was one of coaches to introduce to texas high school) breaking national records in late 90s before Leach put him on staff at texas tech in 2000. 7 on 7, having facilities, I would guess good coaching making 100k+ to teach you then go to college and play in system you been in since before even a teen. They probably clocked in the 10,000 hours (figuratively) where they can make plays with ease.

Advertisement
Back