We got ourselves another corch

I was at that KState game and couldn't believe my eyes...never thought they'd still be here making the same mistakes three years later

Advertisement
The fact his last name begins with a "D" is a the definition of irony.

From hence forth I will simply be referring to him as "Onfrio".

I've coached and been watching football for a LONG time. In that time I've seen some inept coaches/coordinators. The Cokers, Shannons, Nix's.....but in that time I don't think I've ever seen as poor a gameplan as what I saw today out of "Onfrio". In the week leading up to this (and I have to think at some point during the summer they reviewed the tape from last years game) he somehow DID NOT come to the conclusion that K State's QB was a bigger running threat than a passer. By failing to see or simply ignoring this fact he determines the best course of action is to play K State "straight up". Leave the safeties 10-15 yards off the ball and sag linebackers out to the flats when they went with multiple receiver sets.

Meanwhile....Snyder was sitting back and laughing. A very well trained monkey could see from the outset that Snyder gave his QB specific instructions...if they only have 6 or 7 in the box run the QB draw or the off-tackle running play.

And run those 2 plays they did....all over us. Once you get those 2 staples established then sneaking in a passing play becomes easy. In short...by not being able to stop their #1 option you basically have given yourself no chance at stopping ANYTHING.

Don't know about everyone else here but where I come from you take away the #1 thing the opponent likes to do (which is usually what they are best at) and force them to beat you with option #2. I would not be mad, I would not be complaining, I would not be distraught if K State had put up the points/yardage that they did today if the majority of it would have come through the air. If Klein would have all of a sudden turned into a world class passer, even for this one game, you tip your hat to him and say good game.

Instead...."Onfrio" chooses to stay in a base soft cover 2 and concedes the middle of the field to draws and running plays against a team that doesn't want to pass primarily.

I remember the day we signed Shannon as head coach I complained and many on Grassy said I needed to give Shannon time...it was too early to judge.

Well I feel even stronger this time around. "Onfrio" isn't the guy for this job. The fact he's tied to Golden makes this a very sticky situation but I say it no uncertain terms that if they are a package deal....I hope Golden gets fired sooner rather than later. We will never win big with "Onfrio" coordinating that defense.

And please...spare me the "we have no talent" and "we're young" stuff. Like I said above...I was fully expecting to give up a ton of points today...what I'm complaining about here is the manner in which it was given up. I'm questioning this guy's line of thinking...his gameplanning heading into this game. The personnel is what it is and I would never blame any coach for that.

Holy ****. After reading this again, three years later, almost brought me to my knees. I am absolutely mind boggled on how this staff is still intact. I'm actually embarrassed to be a Cane fan these days. When will the misery end!?!

Advertisement
Advertisement
In the week leading up to this (and I have to think at some point during the summer they reviewed the tape from last years game) he somehow DID NOT come to the conclusion that K State's QB was a bigger running threat than a passer. By failing to see or simply ignoring this fact he determines the best course of action is to play K State "straight up". Leave the safeties 10-15 yards off the ball and sag linebackers out to the flats when they went with multiple receiver sets.

Don't know about everyone else here but where I come from you take away the #1 thing the opponent likes to do (which is usually what they are best at) and force them to beat you with option #2. I would not be mad, I would not be complaining, I would not be distraught if K State had put up the points/yardage that they did today if the majority of it would have come through the air. If Klein would have all of a sudden turned into a world class passer, even for this one game, you tip your hat to him and say good game.

Instead...."Onfrio" chooses to stay in a base soft cover 2 and concedes the middle of the field to draws and running plays against a team that doesn't want to pass primarily.

Rinse and repeat three years later. Wake, UNC, Nebraska... Golden still refuses to even try and take away the other team's #1 option. I don't know if he thinks playing anything other than straight up is less honorable, or if his tight ******** is constantly afraid of what might happen if the opponent tries something else, but it's embarrassing to watch this team get out strategized week after week.

There's a scene in the Simpsons where Bart is playing multiple games of chess simultaneously, then it cuts and shows Bart losing every single game. That's Al. Thinks he and his scheme are brilliant, but really, he's just awful.

Yeah...I stand by what I said 3 years ago.

He's the biggest piece of **** in the history of this program. Nebraska couldn't have played any worse or made any more mistakes...and they still managed to almost pull out a win.

FSU and Clemson are going to push our **** in.

Advertisement
Back