Wake Forest vs Duke Game cancelled for this weekend

Advertisement
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Wake Forest has notified the ACC and Duke University that the Demon Deacons will not be able to play on Nov. 21 due to a combination of positive cases, quarantine of close contacts and injuries. In abundance of caution, Wake Forest will not hold team activities or practice on Wednesday and Thursday.

"Our number one priority is the health and well-being of our student-athletes, coaches and staff," Director of Athletics John Currie said. "I'm so proud of how our team has faced the unprecedented challenges of 2020. We are blessed with world class medical care and guidance thanks to Wake Forest Baptist Health and Dr. Chris Miles, and we look forward to resuming activities as soon as is appropriate."

"We are obviously extremely disappointed that we will be unable to play Duke this Saturday," head coach Dave Clawson said. "The opportunity to bounce back this weekend was something that our student-athletes and staff were looking forward to. However, we have and always will keep our players safety at the forefront of our decision-making process. "

Wake Forest will work with the ACC and Duke on the possibility of rescheduling the contest.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Let me be clear: I'm not making any predictions as to whether we play zero or three more games. Anything can happen, and it seems like many teams are dealing with significant issues. I just don't see the point in extreme optimism or extreme gloom.
We played 8 games and only lost to the number one team at full strength at their house. We crushed a top 15 team in prime time with college Gameday hosting. We completely annihilated our biggest rival. It’s a good season even if it ended today. There’s no doubt UM would finish with a consensus top 10 ranking. That’s more than any of us hoped for back in August.

We played 8 games and only lost to the number one team at full strength at their house. We crushed a top 15 team in prime time with college Gameday hosting. We completely annihilated our biggest rival. It’s a good season even if it ended today. There’s no doubt UM would finish with a consensus top 10 ranking. That’s more than any of us hoped for back in August.

given all these cancellations and all the players miami has been missing in the past 3 or so games along with the players that couldnt practice due to tracing/quarantine/etc., it really makes you appreciate the 7-1 record. hopefully we get to see this thing through (i personally dont think well play all 3, but maybe we get 1-2 more).

Advertisement
It's a shame we couldn't get the Wake game in as scheduled. They have a number of guys banged up and they would have had the Duke game this weekend.

Wake is scheduled to be at Louisville on 11/28 - it remains to be seen if that game gets played. It was a reschedule from 12/5 to accomodate our game.

The Wake 247 reporter says he heard Wake got two positive cases plus the contact tracing for them. And then add in the guys who are injured and would not be available. It sounds like most of their secondary is "unavailable".

We won't be playing them in 2 weeks either
We will play Wake Forest. The game is 12/5. That's 18 days from yesterday's ACC cancellation announcement. With a 10-day quarantine, Wake will have a week to prepare just like Miami.

If anything, this levels the playing field in that both teams won't be playing games or practicing for the next 10 days. However, I do feel that Wake is a much more diciplined team. Miami is 115th in penalties while Wake is 48th. So, I give them an advantage in preparedness after what is now a 2-week bye.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I did not know that John Currie landed at Wake. I am surprised he landed another P5 gig after failing so miserably at Tennessee that they paid him $2.5M to leave after just eight months into his tenure lol.

Advertisement
Back