Vote for the Greatest College Football Team of ALL time

Advertisement

good to see an underappreciated 1987 team get some love

I have never been a fan of any Tom Osbourne Nebraska one trick pony offense. I still think disciplined defenses would shut that crap down. Hence why you see very little success with it now. I voted for '87 Miami, which I would have done against any team other than '01 Miami.
But I find it foolish for anyone to think there is/was a better team than '01 Miami. Come on man!

Here we go again. The 01 Canes beat the 5 ranked teams they faced by a combined score of 246-84. There were 17 first round picks off that team. No team not even the 2019 LSU team would have beaten Miami.
There is no doubting the 01 Canes. One thing about 87 that the cheating osu scum prevented the 01 team from saying was that the second team and returning players from 87 team won a NC too. Couple I think were on 2 more NC teams. 01 talent is unsurpassed but 87 team delivered dividends 01 did not. Of course, we all know that game was over long before that flag came out. Take that cheating piece of crap away and the discussion could well be who was the best between 01 and 02. Even then, for those of us who were there in 87, it is still hard to imagine any better. So great is Cane history, that we could argue the if JJ knew how to coach a frigging Bowl Game, the 85 and 86 back to back NCs would probably expand the discussion to Number 14's teams. ****, what a run we had.

Advertisement
There is no doubting the 01 Canes. One thing about 87 that the cheating osu scum prevented the 01 team from saying was that the second team and returning players from 87 team won a NC too. Couple I think were on 2 more NC teams. 01 talent is unsurpassed but 87 team delivered dividends 01 did not. Of course, we all know that game was over long before that flag came out. Take that cheating piece of crap away and the discussion could well be who was the best between 01 and 02. Even then, for those of us who were there in 87, it is still hard to imagine any better. So great is Cane history, that we could argue the if JJ knew how to coach a frigging Bowl Game, the 85 and 86 back to back NCs would probably expand the discussion to Number 14's teams. ****, what a run we had.
Often overlooked is the 2000 team. They lost to #15 Washington early in the year for their only loss. Then they beat #1 FSU, but was overlooked by BCS who picked FSU to play Oklahoma in Orange Bowl, where they lost 13-2. Most likely would have won that game with our offense at home.

Often overlooked is the 2000 team. They lost to #15 Washington early in the year for their only loss. Then they beat #1 FSU, but was overlooked by BCS who picked FSU to play Oklahoma in Orange Bowl, where they lost 13-2. Most likely would have won that game with our offense at home.
What about the 2002 team

We’ll probly be number 1 for about 10 more years after that we’ll be too far in the past ppl will forget and for many we’ll just be a story just like how I grew up hearing about the 4 horsemen , in my mind I could never say they were better than a back I’ve seen with my own eyes

I hope we start winning again soon

Advertisement
washington 91 as a 16 seed is a joke. That team might be top 6 all time.
They weren't even #1 in 1991. I remember a Nebraska player being asked who was better, Washington or Miami. He said, point blank, "Miami. Washington didn't have #98." The weekend we beat #1 FSU, they beat a team with no wins, and gained first place votes. It was a joke. If not for all the anti-Miami bias, we win both polls.

Here we go again. The 01 Canes beat the 5 ranked teams they faced by a combined score of 246-84. There were 17 first round picks off that team. No team not even the 2019 LSU team would have beaten Miami.
If you think that 91 UM team, and that Legendary Defense, coached by the GOAT Savage Sonny Lubick, would give af about any other CFB team, let alone 2001 UM....You need Psychological help....

Put that 89 team (With a healthy Erickson) and that Nasty *** DL....Up against Romberg and Company....then tell me how things went.. .Same goes for that 91 Goon Squad...It wouldn't be the cakewalk alot of people think..
It's ALL about matchups.....and if ANY team in the last 30yrs could devise a Defense to exploit the 01 team....my vote goes to Lubick....You saw what 02 Ohio St did to a pretty **** good 02 UM OL....If that was the 89 or 91 UM DL....Dorsey would've been Sacked 10+ times...and the 3 LBers would've took care of Clarett......Look Man....No one on earth Loves the 2001 squad like I do....I have an entire wall in my home dedicated to that one team....But to say that the 2001 team wouldn't have their hands full and more with the others is preposterous...

It is easy to get loss in the host of great Cane teams. 2000 team should have been first of three straight NCs but we got screwed on the bookends. For most of a 25 year period we basically either got cheated or beat ourselves with rate exception. Then again, that made it exciting.

Advertisement
Put that 89 team (With a healthy Erickson) and that Nasty *** DL....Up against Romberg and Company....then tell me how things went.. .Same goes for that 91 Goon Squad...It wouldn't be the cakewalk alot of people think..
It's ALL about matchups.....and if ANY team in the last 30yrs could devise a Defense to exploit the 01 team....my vote goes to Lubick....You saw what 02 Ohio St did to a pretty **** good 02 UM OL....If that was the 89 or 91 UM DL....Dorsey would've been Sacked 10+ times...and the 3 LBers would've took care of Clarett......Look Man....No one on earth Loves the 2001 squad like I do....I have an entire wall in my home dedicated to that one team....But to say that the 2001 team wouldn't have their hands full and more with the others is preposterous...
The 2001 team had their hands full with BC and VT, much less a talented 89 or 91 UM team. I love the 2001 team, but they were taking on the identity of Coker far too fast.

Nahhhhh, the 02' O-Line wasn't as good as the 01' O-Line, especially with McKinney gone.

Agree with you on 91' D though, easily the top 3 CFB LB corp of all time, **** you can make an argument for #1.

Advertisement
Nahhhhh, the 02' O-Line wasn't as good as the 01' O-Line, especially with McKinney gone.

Agree with you on 91' D though, easily the top 3 CFB LB corp of all time, **** you can make an argument for #1.
Where did I say it was as Good as 01??...Stop putting words in my mouth...I said "Quote"....The 02 OL was still pretty **** good...and they were....

If you think that 91 UM team, and that Legendary Defense, coached by the GOAT Savage Sonny Lubick, would give af about any other CFB team, let alone 2001 UM....You need Psychological help....
This is a good probl
The 2001 team had their hands full with BC and VT, much less a talented 89 or 91 UM team. I love the 2001 team, but they were taking on the identity of Coker far too fast.
Agree with you about Coker (get a head ache every time I think about him).

Keep in mind all great teams have let down games. The 14-2 super bowl champion 73 Dolphins lost to 4-10 Baltimore and it wasn't that close.

Advertisement
Back