Upon Further Review- Cheez-It Bowl

View as article
Bad throw. Well underthrown here. If he makes a good toss out there on the fake screen with a Go route, it’s another TD. Settle for FG.
View attachment 139935

Wiggins drop. Hits him right in the hands. Had a guy on his back, but the allergy to contested catches continues for our WR’s.
View attachment 139937

Walk-in TD if Wiggins just catches the ball. Back-to-back plays from Wiggins.
View attachment 139938

All three plays Miami couldn’t ask for more. This is wide-open for a TD and Perry throws it out-of-bounds. Oklahoma State was essentially begging us to score a TD and we decided not to. One of the great things about Smash concept is that the corner route gives so much freedom for the receiver to adjust to wherever the QB throws the ball. Just not if you throw it out-of-bounds. In a game Miami loses by 3, those 4 points sure would’ve helped.
View attachment 139939

Nesta splits the RG/C block as OSU tries to run horizontal. Harvey does a great job of forklifting his OT and Steed does a nice job. Jennings is a step late, but the C got over his ski’s and fell down, so he couldn’t get to Jennings. TFL.
View attachment 139940

One of the adjustments the defense made in this game is they started to attack the A gaps with double pressure and play man-1 behind (man coverage with one deep safety). Jennings comes from as the C declares for Steed and the RB tries to take Steed as well. Sanders panicked with pressure up-the-middle.
View attachment 139941

Attack. The. Football. I would teach my receivers to stick their inside leg in the ground, use the force to spin your hips and get your chest to face the football, go up with two hands and attack the ball in the air. Letting the ball come to the receivers has really cost them in this game. This was a perfect throw to Harley, who has it in his hands and drops it. Tough catch, but tries to cradle it like a baby and allows the defender to punch it out.
View attachment 139942

I really like this play, as they motioned Harley across and into the backfield, while using Cam to lead. It’s an RPO, where if that defender doesn’t go with Cam, QB can pull it and throw it to the RB. Using a WR as a RB messes up leverage on the defense and they tend to get lost.
View attachment 139943

Split zone action, pull Brevin around the edge and it’s blocked perfectly. Jordan has the edge follow him because they have dumped it off to him on this little crosser a few times. It opens up a running lane for a house call.
View attachment 139944

How they overturned the 2-pt. conversion that was deemed successful I will not understand. The angle at the goal line is not straight down the line, so you can’t just assume that look. It was a bad call in a second half filled with them. (Not pictured)

Ivey really has his arms straight down like a dead ****roach on this tackle attempt. Obviously poor attempt here. Hidden yards on plays like this. He picks up 11 yards after this. We get a fortuitous call on a block-in-the-back.
View attachment 139945

Couch gets called for pass interference, on a ticky-tack call. Would’ve been a huge game-changing interception. Bad thing is he had perfect coverage and didn’t need to grab him, but he panicked with the ball in the air. Additionally, McCloud tipped the ball, and it should’ve been waved off due to being tipped. These officials would be rated a 1 on the 1-10 scale for their performance. (Not pictured)

This is your edge player. Does McCloud think he’s playing LB again? You simply cannot get this far out of position when you have backside contain. Woof.
View attachment 139946

Frierson plays this wrong. Attack the inside shoulder of this blocker, make QB take it to sideline and have to bubble. You’ve got a corner out there to defend sideline. QB cuts back here and gets big yardage on 2nd & 19. So many plays in this game that added up to an ugly loss. OSU gets a FG on this drive, when if Frierson makes this simple play, they’re punting from deep in their own territory.
View attachment 139947

Miami runs the same action where Harley comes across in motion, only it’s a fake. When they don’t give it him, no one covers him and he’s wide open in the flats. Big yards from that play. (Not pictured)

Perry tries to run read with Chaney and Chaney wants to take it, Perry wants to keep it. Ball is on the ground. It looks like a mistake by Perry, who should’ve given the ball on the read. This mistake is another one that if it doesn’t happen, I think Miami wins. They were already to midfield, had short yardage, things were going well towards points. OSU gets a TD out of it. A horrendous pass interference call on Couch on a ball clearly not catchable aided them greatly, when they probably don’t get any points otherwise. (Not pictured)

We run that fake QB draw, throw it Mallory play that really was golden for the Canes this year on 4th down and Miami gets a TD right back. (Not pictured)

The big drop by Pope, I’ll just let my Tweet explain it.

Overall

Miami gave this game away. There is no sugarcoating it, there is no excuse making to explain it away. Miami compounded mistake after mistake in this one. Here are the highlights of the mistakes:

• Coaching decision to go away from everything the defense has done this year and ask the defense to play a soft zone defense that made everything easy for the QB. It wasn’t disguised zones to confuse a QB on who is coming from where and who is defending whom, it was simply soft zone coverage to force the offense to execute down the field and they easily did. It was 21-0 right off-the-bat and the defensive coaching gameplan led to much of it.
  • Couch drops an interception on the first drive that they later scored a TD on.
  • Pass interference by Gurvan Hall on 2nd & goal from the 10 where he panicked on the ball in the air. Don’t commit that penalty and it’s 3rd & goal from 10 and you probably hold to a FG.
  • Holding penalty on Jakai where he had bad technique and it cost us 4 points. It didn’t cost us King, that was simply bad luck. It did cost us 4 points though.
  • Harley fumble cost us great field position.
  • Inability to keep a fumble right in the arms of Frierson.
  • Wiggins drops a perfect deep pass from Perry that was at worst a FG, a TD if he just plays it correctly.
  • Pope drops a perfect deep pass that would’ve put Miami inside 10.
  • Wiggins drops a slip screen where he would’ve walked into the end zone. Costs 4 points.
  • Perry misses Keyshawn open on a corner route. (these last three plays all happened on the same drive as Miami refused to score a TD)
  • 2nd & 19 from OSU 11, Frierson gets out of his gap and allows a cutback for a big gain. OSU gets a FG on the drive, rather than punting from deep in own territory.
  • Miami fumbles on 2nd & 3 from nearly midfield when Miami had momentum. OSU gets a TD on the drive thanks to a bad pass interference call and grab by Couch.
  • 3rd & 10 and Brevin drops a pass that would’ve kept drive alive with more time.
  • Pope drops a perfect deep pass that puts us in red zone at worst.
  • Miami gave OSU four first downs via pass interference penalty, had two block-in-the-back calls on returns, had a horse collar tackle on 3rd down, and a holding call that was unnecessary knock out a TD.

Ugggh. Man the memory of how bad we played and how many mistakes we made had faded, and then to relive it again....I'm sick to my stomach. Wish I hadn't read this feature for once.

And you catch it all. It amazes me how many people can watch a game and not catch almost any of these things.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back