Upon Further Review- Bethune-Cookman

View as article
I haven’t seen poor LB play honestly. But maybe I don’t know what to look for.

KJ isn’t the best blocker by a loooong shot but he sticks his nose in there everytime and is a **** of a WR. Eventually he’ll break one of those tackles and we’ll get to see him open up.

Good write up.

Advertisement
Like Lance, I was done with Enos midway into the 2nd quarter. And while the offense FINALLY got cranked up why the **** does it take so long to get this thing going? Once we start playing real teams that **** aint gonna fly because the defense isn't as good as past years. They cant hold for 2.5 quarters until Enos finally gets it going. That is what scares me up to this point.

Posters are saying they finally see the offense ramping up and I am cautious on that as we were playing an FCS team. Lets see them do it against VT first, then I will get optimistic.

This team will develop over the season. I saw improvements from game 1 to 2 to 3. I'm encouraged. We seem to have a problem starting fast which is a concern but can be fixed. Also the fact that we have true FR doing work on the OL, tells you coaching is a bigger deal with that position than even talent. Zion is really good at LT. He straight stoned people v UNC and BCC. Ima give them a pass v UF. First game, really good DL and road game basically.

Advertisement
I was encouraged by how well Williams started distributing the ball once he got in a rhythm mid-second quarter. Get it into the hands of our playmakers and they'll make plays.

OL definitely improving with the new lineup (how is it that everyone on CIS knew Scaife should be one of our tackles, and the coaches were too stubborn to make the change until we're 0-2?!). I was super impressed with both true freshmen. Shamed to admit I didn't like the late Nelson offer at all, though most of that was my anger over losing Neal and Tarquin (and the next 5-10 guys on our board after them). We look to have scored with him and Clark.

Donaldson needs to lose weight again. He's lost a step because he's carry too much baggage. The sky's not the limit for him and Reed, it's the food court. They're too talented to let their bellies get in the way.

More concerned with the defense than the offense at this point

That 4th and 17 sure didn't help my confidence. Willis collapsing the pocket and Quan/Red providing cover made everything easier last year. Coaches need to know their personnel better and make some adjustments. We can't keep rushing 5-6 guys at the QB on 3rd and long, and hope they'll get to him in time. We haven't had that disruptive force emerge yet to throw the dice all the time. Who's that disrupter going to be? We need him for Viginia Tech and Virginia!

Looking forward to seeing more of Hill, Brooks and Bolden. I liked seeing Williams in there at CB. ... Need more athleticism.

Carter scares me back there he has no hip action very stiff but he can knock your lights out .... I'm eager to see what Bolden can do whom I hear can tackle and play the pass.

I agree. Stiffness is the one thing you can't have at safety. I have no idea why they recruit that type in the first place.

In contrast, I've been watching the Buckeye tapes and they have one ideal athlete and body type after another, for the specific position. I remember Lance posting that Ohio State led the nation in SPARQ percentages. That is really obvious when observing that team

Bethune Cookman ran such a ridiculously condensed offense that I have no idea how anybody could evaluate one thing about our defense based on that game. I kept thinking at least get a MAC team out there so we can see semi-competent offense, even if it's a soft opponent overall. Dormady of Central Michigan is stiff and merely a moderate MAC quarterback. At least he's a massive step above Bethune Cookman and likewise the joke quarterbacking Central Michigan had last season...tied for last in the nation at 4.5 YPA. Very difficult to average 4.5 YPA over an entire season but 2018 Central Michigan accomplished it. Bye bye head coach, given numbers like that.

If Manny's really the savage he appeared to be in the offseason, he'll squeeze responsibility away from Baker if the defense continues to suck and be predictable, right?

No. Manny will not take ANY responsibility from Baker--troubling sign of failure.

Manny should either coach up Baker to get it right or get another DC.

No. Manny will not take ANY responsibility from Baker--troubling sign of failure.

Manny should either coach up Baker to get it right or get another DC.

I felt Manny did something similar his first year as DC and improved markedly the second year. He introduced the Striker and reduced blitzes and added more shell coverages on 3rd and long.

It’s quite likely we see a similar evolution with Baker as he finds the sweet spot for this particular personnel set.

Advertisement
SS and nickel CB are the two most important positions on this style of defense (along with a 3-Tech DT) because of the responsibilities they have and how much they are asked to stop big plays.

Jaquan was perfect for the role. We haven’t found that guy this year.

I felt Manny did something similar his first year as DC and improved markedly the second year. He introduced the Striker and reduced blitzes and added more shell coverages on 3rd and long.

It’s quite likely we see a similar evolution with Baker as he finds the sweet spot for this particular personnel set.

what is frustrating is Baker has an open "continuity book" right in front of him. In theory, he shouldn't have to grow/evolve into better down/distance/gme context.

he should already have made adjustments in light of the 4-17 disaster.

My question is why we do we need to wait 2-3 years for Baker to repeat and relearn everything Diaz already figured out in the same time frame? I thought that was literally the whole point of bringing him on, their close history together.

Advertisement
Please stop with that one blitz, it’s not getting home and continually calling it makes it easy for OC’s to pick up on it. This defense just seems to lack the punch this year. Like we are playing on our heels instead of downhill.
They were playing Bethune. It's not uncommon for defensive coaches to go into a game with only a handful of plays when playing an inferior opponent. Also, he kept calling it against Bethune because he knew he could get away with it. He called that play only 2 times against UNC. We paid for it on the 4th & 17.

The offense didn't really show new plays either.

My question is why we do we need to wait 2-3 years for Baker to repeat and relearn everything Diaz already figured out in the same time frame? I thought that was literally the whole point of bringing him on, their close history together.
Exaaaaaaactly!!!!! Why da fuq would Manny allow this crap to happen when he knows the outcome???? Makes no sense.

Advertisement
Back