Updated (Five-Star prospect Jalil Bethea has announced a commitment to Miami)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Bethea will undoubtedly be a one and done, but I do wonder if his body will change enough over the next year for an NBA team to take him in the top 5 range. He’s slighter than I thought.

I didnt get to watch, but ive seen many express his build concerns. Not sure it’s a guarantee he is one and done. 3 points in AA game.
I’m not really worried about the 3 points, it’s just a glorified AAU game, but he did look small out there. If he shoots it well this year it won’t matter, but unless he fills out a bit I’d think he’s more mid/late lottery than top 5 range.

Advertisement
Agreed on Bethea's frame. He definitely needs to put on some good weight - hopefully getting into our S&C program will help with that. That's why while I think skill-wise he's definitely good enough to start for us next year at the 2, we can't absolutely count on him being ready to be a star contributor day one. Could take him some time to get into the flow and adjust to the college game.

I’m not really worried about the 3 points, it’s just a glorified AAU game, but he did look small out there. If he shoots it well this year it won’t matter, but unless he fills out a bit I’d think he’s more mid/late lottery than top 5 range.
If his floor is mid-late lottery than he will have met/exceeded all expectations next year. That said, with Pack, Kidd and now Johnson on board, we have a veteran lineup with guys that can give us consistent double figure scoring. Really great situation for Bethea to step into where he's not being asked to do too much.

If his floor is mid-late lottery than he will have met/exceeded all expectations next year. That said, with Pack, Kidd and now Johnson on board, we have a veteran lineup with guys that can give us consistent double figure scoring. Really great situation for Bethea to step into where he's not being asked to do too much.
I think I’m more saying if he doesn’t fill out a bit mid/late lottery is more the ceiling than the floor. But that’s just my opinion, I watch way more NBA than college ball so that’s just what my eye tells me.

But yeah this will be an amazing situation for him to not have to be forced into something his body may not be ready for yet.

Advertisement

Performed well all week according to this recap but didn't do much in the game itself:

Jalil Bethea’s reputation is as a scorer. And he showcased that, especially during the scrimmage portion of Sunday’s practice. Bethea has a quick release, catches the ball shot-ready, and has little to no shot load off the catch.

Bethea was impressive with his feel for open areas on the floor. What he showed that I had not consistently seen here was his ability to initiate some offense. For a good portion of the second practice and the closed scrimmage, Bethea had the ball in his hands bringing it into the front court. He took care of his possessions and got the ball where it needed to go.

Bethea, a Miami signee, is a 6-foot-5 guard. He has taken a huge step over the last year. On3 was the first to move Bethea into the top 15, in June of 2023. Even since then, he has continued to grow his game and continue to move his way forward.

Performed well all week according to this recap but didn't do much in the game itself:

Jalil Bethea’s reputation is as a scorer. And he showcased that, especially during the scrimmage portion of Sunday’s practice. Bethea has a quick release, catches the ball shot-ready, and has little to no shot load off the catch.

Bethea was impressive with his feel for open areas on the floor. What he showed that I had not consistently seen here was his ability to initiate some offense. For a good portion of the second practice and the closed scrimmage, Bethea had the ball in his hands bringing it into the front court. He took care of his possessions and got the ball where it needed to go.

Bethea, a Miami signee, is a 6-foot-5 guard. He has taken a huge step over the last year. On3 was the first to move Bethea into the top 15, in June of 2023. Even since then, he has continued to grow his game and continue to move his way forward.

Bethea as PG with Pack off ball would do wonders for both. NBA draft people are wrongly mislabeling George as a potential PG, but Bethea actually has much more three level scoring to be an offensive engine for this team and could also boost his stock into the top 5 playing as a primary creator for this team.

Zay was never the biggest guy either and turned out just fine. There are some maturity issues that need to get cleaned up which is why I like surrounding him with proven, veteran guys.

Advertisement
Agreed on Bethea's frame. He definitely needs to put on some good weight - hopefully getting into our S&C program will help with that. That's why while I think skill-wise he's definitely good enough to start for us next year at the 2, we can't absolutely count on him being ready to be a star contributor day one. Could take him some time to get into the flow and adjust to the college game.
I mean.. if George is 1 and done.

Advertisement
Back