updated ESPN 300

How much did you expect Scarlett to jump. All he has done was run a 40. I'm not one for the rankings because they are flawed but I don't expect a kid who is a track kid to jump significantly in the rankings off of that. Everyone has already known he runs a great 40 but it doesn't translate the same on the field. What has changed?

Advertisement
How much did you expect Scarlett to jump. All he has done was run a 40. I'm not one for the rankings because they are flawed but I don't expect a kid who is a track kid to jump significantly in the rankings off of that. Everyone has already known he runs a great 40 but it doesn't translate the same on the field. What has changed?

When the initial ESPN 300 for the class of 2015 was released back in February, Scarlett was ranked 27th overall. Five months later, after absolutely blowing up The Opening and ESPN having no valid reason to drop him, he's ranked 143rd. There is zero justification for that. Zero.

You probably believe Scarlett never should've been ranked that high to begin with, so in that regard it's a difference of opinion about a player. You don't seem to be as high on Scarlett or Williams as most others on this board, myself included. And you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Advertisement

When the initial ESPN 300 for the class of 2015 was released back in February, Scarlett was ranked 27th overall. Five months later, after absolutely blowing up The Opening and ESPN having no valid reason to drop him, he's ranked 143rd. There is zero justification for that. Zero.

You probably believe Scarlett never should've been ranked that high to begin with, so in that regard it's a difference of opinion about a player. You don't seem to be as high on Scarlett or Williams as most others on this board, myself included. And you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I may not seem as high as others but that doesnt mean I dont like them as a player. I go mainly off of game film not highlights. What a kid does at a combine, which is all The Opening is, I could care less. Take Quan Johnson for example, he is not a combine kid but go watch one of his games and you will walk away saying that kid is incredible.

I just dont believe in raising a ranking during the off season because they havent played a single game. Let the game film do the talking.

I may not seem as high as others but that doesnt mean I dont like them as a player. I go mainly off of game film not highlights. What a kid does at a combine, which is all The Opening is, I could care less. Take Quan Johnson for example, he is not a combine kid but go watch one of his games and you will walk away saying that kid is incredible.

I just dont believe in raising a ranking during the off season because they havent played a single game. Let the game film do the talking.

That's fair. And the issue I have with it is ESPN had Scarlett ranked as the 27th overall player in the ESPN 300 in February. He hasn't had a chance to play a single game since then and hasn't done anything to justify them moving him all the way down to 143rd. All he's done in that time span is destroy The Opening and commit to Miami. If recruits shouldn't be moved up based on workouts, then they certainly shouldn't be moved down over 100 spots after a phenomenal performance at The Opening.

They were clearly sky high on Scarlett based on what he'd done on the field, then plummeted him down their rankings during the offseason. Which makes absolutely no sense.

That's fair. And the issue I have with it is ESPN had Scarlett ranked as the 27th overall player in the ESPN 300 in February. He hasn't had a chance to play a single game since then and hasn't done anything to justify them moving him all the way down to 143rd. All he's done in that time span is destroy The Opening and commit to Miami. If recruits shouldn't be moved up based on workouts, then they certainly shouldn't be moved down over 100 spots after a phenomenal performance at The Opening.

They were clearly sky high on Scarlett based on what he'd done on the field, then plummeted him down their rankings during the offseason. Which makes absolutely no sense.

I hope you dont think he was dropped because he committed to Miami. He had very good freshman and sophomore years and then last year he had a bad year for the talent that he was playing against and with. If Im not mistaken the initial 300 for 2015 was last year February and thats when he was 27th overall so you have to expect a drop of some sorts as they rate other kids on top of a subpar year for him.

On the other hand Wiliams had a good year but he really turned heads at the Orlando NFTC and thats when you see his stock sky rocket. Overall its a horrible system period which is easily manipulated. Ive had college coaches tell me that they have gotten kids higher ratings by these "scouts/writers" to make a kid happy because its only the kids and fans who really care about stars.

Advertisement

I hope you dont think he was dropped because he committed to Miami. He had very good freshman and sophomore years and then last year he had a bad year for the talent that he was playing against and with. If Im not mistaken the initial 300 for 2015 was last year February and thats when he was 27th overall so you have to expect a drop of some sorts as they rate other kids on top of a subpar year for him.

On the other hand Wiliams had a good year but he really turned heads at the Orlando NFTC and thats when you see his stock sky rocket. Overall its a horrible system period which is easily manipulated. Ive had college coaches tell me that they have gotten kids higher ratings by these "scouts/writers" to make a kid happy because its only the kids and fans who really care about stars.

Of course I don't think that.

BTW, they had Scarlett ranked 27th overall in the ESPN 300 as of February 2014, which was after his junior season.

Advertisement

Of course I don't think that.

BTW, they had Scarlett ranked 27th overall in the ESPN 300 as of February 2014, which was after his junior season.

That was his ranking from the initial 300 which didn't change for some time.

just had Tom Linbill (main person responsible for rankings) about Scarlett's ranking, thought I'd share:

Luis M
Tom, Jordan Scarlett looked like the best RB at the opening, yet didn't make much movement in the updated ESPN300. any specific reason behind that

Tom Luginbill

Luis, he tested extremely well--TESTED, is the key word. Much faster than he plays on film. Excellent prospect, but also can be a bit straight-lined and rigid in his elusiveness. Love his power and lower body strength.

honestly, it makes sense to a certain extent. if he produces in his senior like many expect him to, he'll make a significant jump in the rankings IMO.

Advertisement
Back