UM's Erickson...baseball

NWFLCane

Little man in the boat!
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...son-enjoying-time-enemy-turf?odyssey=nav|head

Eric Erickson knows Florida State baseball fans might not want to believe it – or even hear such blasphemy – but the University of Miami pitcher believes he will have the advantage when the Hurricanes visit **** Howser Stadium in late April.

Erickson, a 2007 freshman All-American who has returned to the mound following two major elbow surgeries, now lives in Tallahassee with his parents and grandmother. He also completed the arduous rehabilitation of his left throwing elbow at Tallahassee Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy (TOSPT).

And as strange as it might sound, he insists he is enjoying his time in enemy territory.

"I've made a lot of friends here in Tallahassee and a lot of people are really looking forward to our series here and that's really great," Erickson said of the April 20-22 Atlantic Coast Conference showdown.

"This might not sit well with a lot of Seminole fans, but I feel like I have the home-field advantage. This is where I live, my family is here, and I have a lot of friends here. It's going to be a blast. I love pitching in Howser Stadium; it's one of my favorite places I've ever pitched in."

The fact Erickson has returned to pitch at UM reflects remarkable perseverance.

Erickson, who turns 24 next month, sat out the 2009 and 2011 seasons following ligament replacements (Tommy John surgeries) and had to petition the NCAA to receive a sixth year of eligibility. His petition included more than 200 medical documents, surgical notes and an eight-page letter from Erickson that explained his journey.

It was only days before the start of last semester that Erickson received his waiver, a welcomed gift following a year's worth of sweat, work and prayer.

"Eric's work ethic was outstanding, and he probably put more time into rehab than I've ever seen in a college player," said Jim Watson, director of sports medicine at TOSPT. "I believe the reason was because he saw the light at the end of the tunnel. He understood the more he put into his rehab, the more he would get out of it."

Erickson, who emerged as UM's ace during his freshman season and has 23 career victories, threw well and pain-free in fall practice and may enter the season again in that role of No. 1 pitcher.

The Hurricanes, who return 18 lettermen and are ranked 14th in Collegiate Baseball's preseason poll, will open at home against Rutgers on Feb. 17.

"I didn't expect anything but my best during fall practice," said Erickson, a two-time all-state selection from Sarasota High who is known for his pinpoint control, fluttering change-up and fierce competitiveness.

"I was working very hard and felt strong and healthy. At the end of practice, the coaches talked to me about starting on Friday nights in the spring. I was the ace my freshman year. I want to finish as the ace. I've been working very, very hard, and that's my goal."

Erickson had his first elbow surgery in 2008 following a sophomore season that saw him rank second on the UM staff with nine wins, third in games started (13) and innings pitched (78), and fourth in strikeouts (68).

Erickson sat out the 2009 season and attempted to return in 2010. However, he cut that season short because he said his elbow hurt worse than it did prior to surgery.

"Physically, I just couldn't take it anymore," said Erickson, who threw nearly 54 innings that year.

Erickson's second procedure was performed by renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. Erickson said Andrews recommended TOSPT for his rehabilitation, and the location couldn't have worked out any better. Erickson's parents had moved to Tallahassee a year earlier.

No wonder Erickson says he can't wait for his April "homecoming" after sitting out last season with a medical hardship waiver.

He certainly has fond memories of Howser Stadium. He scattered six hits over a six-inning start to help UM beat the top-ranked Seminoles, 6-1, in April 2007.

"I wanted to go back to school, be healthy, have a strong year and go out with a bang," said Erickson, a graduate in science and education who now is pursuing a master's degree.

"I think this is the best team I've been on at UM. Even that 2008 team that was so good and went to the CWS (College World Series). This team has better chemistry, and everyone is on the same page. I can't wait for the season to start."

Advertisement
Is he still on pain meds from the surgery?

"I think this is the best team I've been on at UM. Even that 2008 team that was so good and went to the CWS (College World Series). This team has better chemistry, and everyone is on the same page. I can't wait for the season to start."[/QUOTE]

I'm so happy for him that he gets to play again. He's a great guy. I had him in one of my classes and he's very down to earth and not ****y in the least bit. Hopefully he stays healthy and balls out this season.

"I think this is the best team I've been on at UM. Even that 2008 team that was so good and went to the CWS (College World Series). This team has better chemistry, and everyone is on the same page."

I read that and said "wow"!! I hope so!!!

Advertisement
Back