UM's CFP scenarios

TheOriginalCane

So say good night to the bad guy!
Premium
With the Northwestern loss, Miami should go to #9. We would need to pass 5 teams to make the CFP.

If we do NOT play ND or make the ACC-CG, we need to win whatever games remain on the schedule.

If we play ND, we have to win, but it could vault us over UGa and Cincy immediately.

8. UGa plays South Carolina tonight, and won't lose to Vandy next week, who didn't even score this week (thus the female kicker got exactly one play, the second half kickoff). UGa won't make the SEC-CG, thus we have to vault them on the quality of our remaining wins. Plus, it would be a hard thing for the CFP committee to give UGa the edge for the 4th spot when they have 2 losses AND did not play for the conference championship.

7. Cincy has to play a ranked Tulsa (plus a championship game?). It might be hard to vault them if they don't lose again.

6. Gaytors have to play TN and LSU, but the best chance of another loss is to Alabama in the SEC-CG.

5. Texas A&M plays LSU tonight, plus Auburn and Tennessee. We need them to lose at least one of those, as Alabama will be in the SEC-CG for the SEC-West.

4. Ohio State may not play another game, so this will really test the CFP committee as to whether 4 games is enough to make the playoffs.

3. Clemson has to play VaTech, but is also likely to play ND in the ACC-CG (unless we manage to be a spoiler).

2. Notre Dame - unlikely to lose another game before the ACC-CG, unless they play Miami.

1. Alabama - unlikely to lose even the SEC-CG

Cincy, Gaytors, and Texas A&M have the best shot of losing another regular season game. ND-Clemson and Alabama-Gaytors in championship games will lock up 2 losses. So we need 3 other teams to lose or for the CFP folks to push us ahead of teams like UGa and Cincy.

Advertisement
I can’t imagine a 2 loss UGA getting in above a one loss Miami team with the only loss being to Clemson. I don’t see Cincy losing but with there beat win being UCF, their chances of getting in are slim to none.

If we end up as a one loss team and win a bowl game that alone will be success when you were 6-7 last season

Very true.

It's still worth thinking about the possibilities, as there will absolutely be some additional losses by higher-ranked teams.

Advertisement
I can’t imagine a 2 loss UGA getting in above a one loss Miami team with the only loss being to Clemson. I don’t see Cincy losing but with there beat win being UCF, their chances of getting in are slim to none.

Would make more sense to put a 1 loss A&M team in the playoffs than a 2 loss UGA. A&M is the highest revenue CFB program (passed up Texas) and the only loss was to #1 Bama. Also Jimbo has a NC pedigree so he we will get the benefit of the doubt. I hope that 1 loss A&M will get the nod over 1 loss Notre Dame and keep both ND and UF out of the playoffs.

Advertisement
Florida beats Bama. Clemson beats ND. Retread CFP. These four teams make it.They are better than any others currently playing.

Would make more sense to put a 1 loss A&M team in the playoffs than a 2 loss UGA. A&M is the highest revenue CFB program (passed up Texas) and the only loss was to #1 Bama. Also Jimbo has a NC pedigree so he we will get the benefit of the doubt. I hope that 1 loss A&M will get the nod over 1 loss Notre Dame and keep both ND and UF out of the playoffs.

Oregon is out and Washington is probably about to lose so the PAC 12 is done. Big 12 is already done. IMO the Big 10 should be done too. Notre Dame is in as long as they don’t lose before the ACC title game. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Clemson, ND, Bama and A&M.

If Clemson loses again or A&M loses again it’ll get crazy. Bama is locked in even if they lose their title game. Only way UF sneaks in is if they beat Bama. The last two spots are gonna be interesting. I hope Michigan doesn’t play and ruins OSU’s season.

Clemson, ND, Bama and A&M.

It's basically same as when Bama missed the championship game a few years back and still made the playoffs. No chance the committee will put a 2 loss UF team in over 1 loss A&M (which beat UF). I don't see A&M losing again. So I agree with your lineup.

The big question is what happens if Miami wins out and ND loses badly to Clemson in the acc championship game. Both Miami and ND will then both have their one loss to Clemson. I think that's why it makes sense for the acc to set up ND-Miami since the schedule is in flux again (of course we know the acc isn't going to do Miami any favors so it won't happen)

Advertisement
Back