Um vs VaTech prediction

42-38. They killed us with misdirections last year and we are worse defending that this year, I don't think our QB will gift them 3 picks in Q1, so I think it will be a close game in the first half, Miami opens up in Q3 and they make it closer when we are in killing the clock mode

Advertisement
24-17 Good guys
Play more Brooks - Play Flagg. I dogged Flagg when he was recruited because of his speed. I think I was wrong - He's still slow but methinks he's smart and has the instincts to play MLB.
Play Carter and Bolden - Looking for Carter to light up Hooker. I'd bet that Carter will lay the wood with the same type of hit he put on Lawrence but wont get flagged when he does the same to Hooker.
DBs shed the WR blocks and set the edge on the sweeps and bubble screens
Play more Couch. Play more Frierson.
Zach get your masters degree
All 3 RBs each have over 75 yards and combine for 2+ tds

24-17 Good guys
Play more Brooks - Play Flagg. I dogged Flagg when he was recruited because of his speed. I think I was wrong - He's still slow but methinks he's smart and has the instincts to play MLB.
Play Carter and Bolden - Looking for Carter to light up Hooker. I'd bet that Carter will lay the wood with the same type of hit he put on Lawrence but wont get flagged when he does the same to Hooker.
DBs shed the WR blocks and set the edge on the sweeps and bubble screens
Play more Couch. Play more Frierson.
Zach get your masters degree
All 3 RBs each have over 75 yards and combine for 2+ tds
You'd be surprised how fast high IQ LBs look. Zach Thomas is a perfect example of this.

Road game and we'll all be ****ed about 5 mins in. Although I think the D will settle in and try and prove a point after so many 'analysts' are picking against us.

47-24 Canes.

Advertisement
Gotta stuff their run. Can't let them control the clock and limit King's opportunities to score points. D can't let them have those long time consuming drives like GT used to where you might get one possession a quarter. I like Miami if it's a shootout. I think their D is worse than ours and that will be their undoing. Our defense is better than most of the defenses they've seen this year. Their schedule is end loaded with the good (lol) ACC defenses.

Wiggins, Harley, Pope and Mallory all over 100 and King goes for over 100 yards rushing. UM 56 VaTech 21. Big game coming this weekend from Blades and Silvera. 7-1 here we come
I love what King has done for our team. I'm a huge fan of King as a player and a leader. However I'm skeptical not of King but of the rest of the offense being able to continually rise to his level. On paper I would expect our offense to have many opportunities to make plays both rushing and passing but we will see. VT is coming off of a particularly embarrassing loss to Liberty and while a loss like that has the potential to ignite locker room tension, infighting and a loss of morale, I would expect and be prepared for them to be in a foul mood and be ready to play. VT will not need any extra motivation to play their best against us so I would expect for them to be sky high for this game at home in front of whatever number of fans are allowed to attend.

However most of what concerns me is on the defensive side of the ball. The hokies are the perfect example offensively of what our defense struggles against the most. They have an excellent RB who averages an insane # of yards per carry to go along with Hooker the QB who not only can hurt us on the ground but in the air as well. Our defense has made much lesser QBs look like the 2019 edition of Joe Burrow. I believe Hooker averages over 6 yards per carry in addition to his ability as a passer which may not be elite but is certainly more than adequate. In addition to this, VT has a formidable Offensive Line and their offense is built around a rushing attack that employs a great deal of misdirection with jet sweeps, reverses, counters, bootleg action, and draws. In short, everything our defense struggles against the most. Is our defense better than what we showed last Friday night? Yes I believe it is but I don't have much if any confidence in Blake Baker's ability to produce a game plan geared at using our strengths to shut it down or at least limit it to the best of our ability.

None of this is to say that I don't like our 2020 squad or that I'm not happy with what we have been able to accomplish thus far being 6-1. What I am saying is that until this team begins to show game to game consistency on offense in addition to showing a consistent identity on defense through the best use of personnel and scheme that every game remaining on our schedule will demand high levels of focus and preparation which to be quite frank I have not yet seen. The potential is there to go 10-1 in the regular season but we are not good enough to chalk any game up as a win much less an "easy win.". This is a very dangerous game and VT is favored by 2 for a reason. Vegas in general has always been very insightful in terms of talent level, intangibles and how those dynamics could play out in reality.

I can see us winning this game because I believe that Miami has a better team top to bottom. 56 points is not out of the question given what this offense has shown it to be capable of but I am inclined to think that a score like 56 to anywhere between 38 and 52 would be much more likely given what we have seen defensively so far. I think it is safe to assume that our defense will at some point want to make a statement about how good they are capable of playing. Personally, I would suggest that they attemp to make that statement this afternoon.

Advertisement
I love what King has done for our team. I'm a huge fan of King as a player and a leader. However I'm skeptical not of King but of the rest of the offense being able to continually rise to his level. On paper I would expect our offense to have many opportunities to make plays both rushing and passing but we will see. VT is coming off of a particularly embarrassing loss to Liberty and while a loss like that has the potential to ignite locker room tension, infighting and a loss of morale, I would expect and be prepared for them to be in a foul mood and be ready to play. VT will not need any extra motivation to play their best against us so I would expect for them to be sky high for this game at home in front of whatever number of fans are allowed to attend.

However most of what concerns me is on the defensive side of the ball. The hokies are the perfect example offensively of what our defense struggles against the most. They have an excellent RB who averages an insane # of yards per carry to go along with Hooker the QB who not only can hurt us on the ground but in the air as well. Our defense has made much lesser QBs look like the 2019 edition of Joe Burrow. I believe Hooker averages over 6 yards per carry in addition to his ability as a passer which may not be elite but is certainly more than adequate. In addition to this, VT has a formidable Offensive Line and their offense is built around a rushing attack that employs a great deal of misdirection with jet sweeps, reverses, counters, bootleg action, and draws. In short, everything our defense struggles against the most. Is our defense better than what we showed last Friday night? Yes I believe it is but I don't have much if any confidence in Blake Baker's ability to produce a game plan geared at using our strengths to shut it down or at least limit it to the best of our ability.

None of this is to say that I don't like our 2020 squad or that I'm not happy with what we have been able to accomplish thus far being 6-1. What I am saying is that until this team begins to show game to game consistency on offense in addition to showing a consistent identity on defense through the best use of personnel and scheme that every game remaining on our schedule will demand high levels of focus and preparation which to be quite frank I have not yet seen. The potential is there to go 10-1 in the regular season but we are not good enough to chalk any game up as a win much less an "easy win.". This is a very dangerous game and VT is favored by 2 for a reason. Vegas in general has always been very insightful in terms of talent level, intangibles and how those dynamics could play out in reality.

I can see us winning this game because I believe that Miami has a better team top to bottom. 56 points is not out of the question given what this offense has shown it to be capable of but I am inclined to think that a score like 56 to anywhere between 38 and 52 would be much more likely given what we have seen defensively so far. I think it is safe to assume that our defense will at some point want to make a statement about how good they are capable of playing. Personally, I would suggest that they attemp to make that statement this afternoon.

This is a good team we're not a great team. We will become great when we have legit depth at every position. We will be ready on offense. The receivers are hot and they have confidence. The defense will be fine. Teams are doing everything they can to take away the running game so we will have alot of great matchups. Mallory is going to feast and Harley might windup going over 200. We about to kick they ***. 7-1 here we come

Last edited:
This a good team we're not a great team. We will become great when we have legit depth at every position. We will be ready on offense. The receivers are hot and they have confidence. The defense will be fine. Teams are doing everything they can to take away the running game so we will have alot of great matchups. Mallory is going to feast tomm and Harley windup going over 200. We about to kick they ***. 7-1 here we come
I don't disagree with any of that in terms of our potential to do it. What concerns me is our ability to be consistent. Being consistent requires focus and discipline both mentally and physically. As much as I like this team they have proven that they are not disciplined. Making the same mental errors over and over again in addition to repeatedly commiting the same type of foolish and selfish penalties on a weekly basis literally screams lack of discipline and an alarming lack of attention to detail. These are clearly coaching issues. They can be addressed and in time the staff may prove capable of resolving them. For the purposes of this season however these are the types of issues that put a superior team in danger of losing to an inferior team.

When I analyze this team I'm speaking about what we are capable of in our current state and that applies to our current situation concerning depth. We can sign all the player we want in order to have depth at every position but if we remain an undisciplined team with very poor attention to detail it likely will not matter.

Having said all that, I love my Canes and am very excited about watching us play this afternoon @ Virginia Tech. I would like few things more than to go into Lame Stadium and administer an absolutely savage and emasculating beat down. Very much looking forward to seeing King and the offense continue to play at a high level and I am extremely curious as to how our defense will respond coming off last week's performance.

Canes win with (2) 50 yard plus field goals plus a few chip shots 30-40 yarders. We finally hit afterburners here Canes O playbook clicks .Popes speed hits a King play action fly pattern first series.

Canes D just a plain BEAST here (5) plus sacks VT total collapse Coastal Carolina took there heart now Canes puts VT out of there misery.

HUGE statement game here for Canes 🙌.

National TV road win 56-12 CANES

GOCANES

Advertisement
This 3 game stretch (NCst,VT,GT) is where I predicted the wheels would fall off. Expected to go 1-2. Hope Manny proves me wrong.

48-41 VT

Shootout. And I've come to accept that whoever we play is going right down the field for a touchdown on their first possession.

I have to for my TV's life...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back