UM vs Nebraska: Canes wide receivers have edge vs. NU CBs

Cane2

Band
Banned
The first time he faced Nebraska, Brad Kaaya gave the Huskers’ secondary fits.

Last Sept. 19, in his fourth game as a college quarterback, Kaaya threw for 359 yards — a UM freshman record — and three touchdowns. He also threw a pair of interceptions.

Though his group of wideouts and tight ends has changed, and he has a much different offensive line, Kaaya could again feast on Nebraska’s pass coverage when the Huskers visit Saturday (3:30 p.m., either ABC or ESPN2)

Nebraska (1-1), which lost its season-opener on a last-second, 42-yard Hail Mary, didn’t quite follow that with a lockdown performance against lowly South Alabama.

The Huskers gave up a paltry 19 rushing yards (45 not including sacks) in a 48-9 win on Saturday, but its secondary allowed 12 receptions of 11 yards or more, including two of longer than 37 yards. It struggled to stop Josh Magee, a 5-11, 170-pound former two-star recruit, who caught six passes for 147 yards and broke a 55-yarder. He had a 56-yarder called back on a penalty.

Defensive coordinator Mark Banker told reporters in Lincoln that his secondary must “finish” better to stop the Hurricanes (2-0).

“I know Brad Kaaya personally,” Banker said, according to Scout.com. “I recruited him coming out of high school. He’s a **** of an athlete. I watched the game [Friday]. The receivers have speed. They know how to run routes. [Against South Alabama] we were facing just a flat-out vertical — it wasn’t like it was a double-move or anything. We need to improve and need to improve in a hurry on that.”

In last year’s game, all eight Hurricanes who caught a pass had a reception of 15 yards or longer. Though the top three receivers from that game — Duke Johnson, Clive Walford and Phillip Dorsett — are gone, five others return. Better yet for the Hurricanes, coach Al Golden said he expects Stacy Coley (left hamstring) and Braxton Berrios (left knee) to return to practice Tuesday. Both missed last week’s win at Florida Atlantic because of injuries suffered the previous week. Coley was “close” to returning last week, Golden said. Berrios was not; his status for Saturday seems to be in greater doubt.

Miami has had a 100-yard receiver in each of its first two games. Against Bethune-Cookman, senior Rashawn Scott caught six passes for 100 yards and a touchdown. At FAU, senior Herb Waters caught five for 102. Running back Joe Yearby, who finished with 243 all-purpose yards, caught three passes for 97 yards and a touchdown.

UM’s inconsistent offensive line needs to be able to protect Kaaya (460 yards, three touchdowns on 62.7 percent passing in 2015) against a large, mean Nebraska front. The Huskers have imposing talent, like defensive tackles Maliek Collins, a preseason All-Big Ten selection, and Vincent Valentine. However, the D-line took its share of plays off last year — witness the eye-popping 581 rushing yards it allowed Wisconsin last year — and loses first-round draft pick Randy Gregory.

Like Miami, who lost starter Darrion Owens for the season, Nebraska has depth issues at linebacker. Last week, the Huskers were without starters Josh Banderas and Dedrick Young. They were boosted by the return of Michael Rose-Ivey, who missed last year due to an ACL injury. He set a school freshman record for tackles as a freshman in 2013, and made a team-best 10 against South Alabama.

VIEW COMMENTS 0

Advertisement
lmao. our wrs couldnt even seperate from faus dbs. how are they going to do that against nebraska.

Huskers are going practice a heavy run game, with an occasional deep bomb to keep Dorito concentrating (using that term loosely) on the pass. They'll control the clock, keeping Kaaya and our WRs off the field. Huskers win 24-10. ToP 40-20

How can u drop 6 passes if u do not separare from the man in coverage. Same morons repeating crap they hear, mental midgets.

Advertisement
There's no area or position that Miami has a clear advantage.

When it comes to D1 opponents, Miami has one of the worst third down conversion rates on the planet. Coley has had difficulty developing an offense that is capable of consistently sustaining drives. He's shown the inability to develop a reliable running game vs quality opponents. Overall, this phase cannot be classified as an advantage.

Miami's primary weakness lies with its defense. The current defensive system is one of the worst in program history. This phase of the game provides no advantage whatsoever.

Special teams, under Golden, have been consistently mediocre and has never developed a pattern of winning field position battles vs quality competition. I recall a game winning Field Goal vs USF, as this units one shining moment vs avg competition.

Golden has guided Miami behind the woodshed far too often for any advantage to be found.

Their secondary has the most problems in the intermediate areas of the field. That means we must get the ball to the TE's and RBs that go up the field as much as possible. They will be open all day.

Swing passes to the backs and wrs won't work. They have a decent front 7.

Advertisement
BTW let's get one thing straight. Nebraska blows. It just the culmination of how we ourselves suck under Golden where this is even a debate of the outcome at home. It should be 45-10. Yet it will be like 31-21 cornsuckers

Yeah I really don't see why Coley would take his fascination with throwing the ball behind the line of scrimmage into this game. We need to beat them vertically. I don't think I've seen a reciever running open more than 20 yards downfield once yet this season. Hopefully is saving those big gain plays for more important games, like this one.

Yeah I really don't see why Coley would take his fascination with throwing the ball behind the line of scrimmage into this game. We need to beat them vertically. I don't think I've seen a reciever running open more than 20 yards downfield once yet this season. Hopefully is saving those big gain plays for more important games, like this one.

Al, D'No, and Coley just aren't that bright or effective at what they do. Al's a .500 lifetime coach, he's not saving anything except his own ****, and depending on the stupidity of the people making that decision, if ever, may or may not be successful at it.

Advertisement
There's no area or position that Miami has a clear advantage.

When it comes to D1 opponents, Miami has one of the worst third down conversion rates on the planet. Coley has had difficulty developing an offense that is capable of consistently sustaining drives. He's shown the inability to develop a reliable running game vs quality opponents. Overall, this phase cannot be classified as an advantage.

Miami's primary weakness lies with its defense. The current defensive system is one of the worst in program history. This phase of the game provides no advantage whatsoever.

Special teams, under Golden, have been consistently mediocre and has never developed a pattern of winning field position battles vs quality competition. I recall a game winning Field Goal vs USF, as this units one shining moment vs avg competition.

Golden has guided Miami behind the woodshed far too often for any advantage to be found.

Enough said

Advertisement
Back