UM-Louisville 2019 vs 2020

Advertisement
QB and kicker are what make this team better. Plain and simple

The OP was asking specifically about Louisville 2019 vs 2020. JW looked like a combination of John Elway, Joe Montana and Tom Brady in their respective primes against Louisville last year. Kicker was better this year. I'll give you that.

Everybody here senses it, that it just feels different and that can be hard to quantify. King is a veteran who seems to already have full command and respect of the locker room. We have an offensive coordinator who has proven that he knows how to adapt to game situations and strike on something he sees the other team doing. Our kicker can kick the ball through the uprights.

The most encouraging thing is that instead of this being week #11 or whatever it was last year...this is week #2. We are only scratching the surface of what this offense can be. That is the most exciting thing I think. There is so much that we haven't even seen yet.

As for the defense...hmm. Phillips is a freak. Ummm...Nesta seems to be coming into his own... Bolden is playing at a high level... OK obviously I'm just trying to put lipstick on a pig there.

2020 - easy scores. The offensive system put players in position to score "easily." 2019 - Jarren Williams had an out of his mind game dropping dimes to receivers perfectly. Enos system didn't work without perfect execution. Everything offensively came together for one game.

Defense was a push.

Advertisement
Okay, so I think most of us are happy and excited with what we saw vs Louisville on Saturday.

What I'm curious about is what were some things that make you feel like we've turned the corner vs last year?
Remember, last year we went 6-7 but beat Louisville 52-27, and Jarren "headcase" Williams had a Heisman like performance. So our 47-34 win doesn't "look" as good on paper. We allowed 500+ yards in this game.

All of that, yet it seems like we were always in control or could always turn it up another gear or something. Strange. I watched the game 2x but am still having trouble pointing a finger at exactly what makes this team night and day better. I guess It was only game 2 and there's (potentially) a lot of football left to play. Obviously the kicking game is 1,000x better. OL play appears better, but may just be due to scheme (irrelevant really). But what is it? Am I just homer-ing? This year just feels different.

yadda yadda, yeah we need to watch the rest of the season unfold first, but I'm still curious. Thoughts?
There is a very real possibility that UAB, UL and now FSU are all very very bad teams. I liked what I saw from the offense on Saturday, but there is still work to be done on the O-line and the D as a whole. Plus, still too many dropped passes. I hope Lashlee can wake these kids up, and wake Diaz up to what a competent coach looks like.

It’s not the Louisville game by itself that has us excited. It is where we are based on what happened at the end of last year and the offseason.

What we did in the Louisville game last year was closer to our true Identity than La Tech was. Our plan fit our opponent and we throttled them. Jarren’s immaturity compounded the collapse caused by Enos’ stubbornness and lack of feel for the game. Enos’ system requires a veteran pocket passer to run effectively. Without that, you are dead in the water.

Opposing defensive coordinators figured out Enos was a two trick pony and that we couldn’t block well enough to throw deep. His reliance on plodding play action plays and rpo left us in shambles once teams took away the slant route.

Lashelee’s system is much more varied and flexible, but the real difference is his actuall feel for in game situation and what to call against various looks in real time.

This team was picked by MANY to be 0-2 based on the disastrous end to last season. We could have easily lost to UAB or at least looked awful like the Central Michigan game. That did not happen. Instead we ran for over 300 yards.

This team is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT because of Lashlee, King, and Borregales. Having competence in those positions is allowing us to see the true potential of this team many of us knew was there all along.

Advertisement
Back