UM lands in top 8 for OL Rosas

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Sierra Vista (CA) 3-star OL Anthony Rosas released his top 8 schools yesterday, and included in that list was the Miami Hurricanes, who have been on Rosas since early January.

Along with UM, the other seven programs that made Rosas’ top group includes Penn State, Auburn, Colorado, Arizona State, Maryland, Kansas, and UNLV.

“I feel like it was needed, due to the circumstances of this quarantine and not being able to go to all the colleges,” Rosas said about why he cut his options down. “So I felt like I could cut things down and just go to those eight and be recruited heavy by them. But then again, anything can change at any moment. I felt like those were eight as of now that I would take an official to sometime in the future if nothing else changes.”

Rosas was originally offered under former OL coach Butch Barry back in early January, but has spent almost his entire Miami recruitment getting to know UM’s new OL coach Garin Justice, who was hired by the Canes in mid-January. Rosas cited his connection with Justice, among a few other factors, when speaking on why he felt comfortable putting Miami in his top group.

“I love the relationship I’m building with [Justice], it’s been a really good thing,” Rosas said. “I love that part of the country, who wouldn’t want to live in Miami? It’s a really cool experience and I have family out there, so it fits right into what we’re trying to do with me and my family and what we’ve talked about. I want to have a good college experience and play ball at a school that has a good reputation and is known for football. I love Miami at the moment.”

The 6-4 295 pound prospect mainly plays right tackle at Sierra Vista, but Justice sees Rosas as a guard at the next level.

“[Justice] tells me that if I go there, I’d probably be moved to guard and be road grading people,” Rosas said. “It’s a good scheme for me. I love to put people on their back, and if he can give that to me, I feel comfortable doing that type of stuff. I can do pass protection, but I prefer run blocking, it’s just amazing. He told me that they’re going to be doing a lot of run plays, and it’s a good fit for me.”

Colorado was one of the other schools that landed in Rosas’ top group, and the Buffaloes were his most recent visit back in late January.

“It was alright, I liked it,” Rosas said of the trip. “They were really family-friendly and they were telling me how I fit into their scheme. It just felt very family-oriented and it was small, so everything was right around there. It was a good place.”

By the summer time, Rosas expects to narrow down his list yet again to the 5 schools that he will take his official visits to, and the Sierra Vista star hopes to be able to go on all those trips before his senior season starts.

“I’d like to take my visits this summer, but if quarantine gets extended into next school year, I’m going to have to commit late, like in December,” Rosas said. “But if I do take my visits during the summer, I’d like to commit during the season.”

Advertisement
From what I've heard, although UM likes him as a player, they have others ahead of him on their board and haven’t spent a ton of time on him. Will take a few misses for him to have a chance to end up in this class

Advertisement
Back