UF Tape & Mullet Interview Observations

Advertisement
Bruh GT was averaging like 330 rush yards per game you really think it’s plausible to hold them to 75 ?

I think we gave up like 230 to them which is still 100 yards below their average

Right, 230yds or 100 below their average. Did we give up some big runs versus LSU and Wisky? Yes. But as others have said they had Top 5 OL’s and equally great RB’s. Floriduh is replacing 4 out of their 5 offensive linemen, and weren’t a Top 5 rushing attack last season. With Bethel, Ford, Nnoruka, and Miller clogging up the middle and Garvin, Rousseau, Hill, Patchan, and Harvey stretching plays out on the edge, coupled with Senior leadership at every LB/Striker spot - I just don’t see how the Gayturd is going to get anything consistently on the ground toting the rock. I think Mullen’s ego is such that he will start off thinking he can chunk it up with his WR group gashing our secondary players, all who will be new starters sans Bandy. With our pass rush he’s going to quickly realize that he might not have his starting QB for the following week’s game if/when he does decide to do so. I don’t see this will be a high scoring affair, but I like our chances to rush the ball against their weaker DL and LB’s when compared to ours. That, and getting some throws over the top via play action because we will run the ball better than the Gayturd, mark it.

The only game where the run defense was poor was Boston College. Wisconsin ran the ball well but the defense literally gave up that game so I'm not as concerned about that. LSU had half their yards on one long run. Georgia Tech was held 100 yards below their average. Nobody else did anything. The run defense was in the top 25 in the nation. Replace GT (the nation's top rushing team) with pretty much any other team and they'd be even higher.

Florida IS going to come out looking to run because Mullet's offense is run first. He puts a higher premium on having a big QB who can run over passing ability. Manny isn't an idiot. He's not afraid to make poor throwing QBs beat him with their arm. Frank's is going to have to make plays for them to win. They're not going to be able to just zone read and bubble screen us up and down the field. If Frank's goes out there and lights it up (lol) they'll probably win. I'm not counting on that happening though.

Whether you want to hear it or not, he played well against teams he should have. More than anyone can say about our QBs last season.

My original point still remains! You're talking as if he can't get better over the offseason! I have examples of players who made jumps later in their careers vs early. But you dont want to hear it & I dont want to hear the excuses.

Your argument that he could improve from last year to this year is certainly valid...but I don't understand why you keep bringing Perry and Rosier into the argument. Franks plays in a system that is proven to make QBs look good. Our QBs last year were playing darts with an oven mitt.

I take issue with the idea that because Franks played well against the some of the worst defenses in the country in 2018, we should be worried. Our defense may take a step back this season, but I'm willing to bet it won't be as bad as more than two thirds of what Franks faced last season. He did not play well against defenses ranked in the top 60, as evidenced by his 6:4 TD:INT ratio in those games.

Advertisement
Your argument that he could improve from last year to this year is certainly valid...but I don't understand why you keep bringing Perry and Rosier into the argument. Franks plays in a system that is proven to make QBs look good. Our QBs last year were playing darts with an oven mitt.

I take issue with the idea that because Franks played well against the some of the worst defenses in the country in 2018, we should be worried. Our defense may take a step back this season, but I'm willing to bet it won't be as bad as more than two thirds of what Franks faced last season. He did not play well against defenses ranked in the top 60, as evidenced by his 6:4 TD:INT ratio in those games.

I keep bringing them up because it's relevant to the topic & the situations of both are somewhat similar. I don't believe in babying adults. At the end of the day, Richt's system was outdated, bit other QBs have flourished in it. Therefore, it was possible for our guys to flourish in it, but they didn't. Our system was outdated, teams knew the plays & we still had dudes open, that our QBs failed to hit.

2001 hurricanes didnt have elite coaching & schemes. They simply beat the guy across from them more often than not. Our guys, under Richt, failed to do that more often than not.

So many dropped passes! That's the QB's fault?

He played well against bad defenses as he was supposed to. We should have as well, but we didn't. You just made my point. Our defense likely takes a step back this season right? We both agree to that. Frank's play likely increases this season. Mullen is a good offensive coach & Franks should improve after another year in the system & more experience. So, if our defense takes a step back + Franks's play increasing = some cause for concern. At least, enough concern to not be over looked. My whole argument is that everyone expects our QBs to get better, but talk like other QBs around the country won't. Florida & Franks is a threat on that premise alone

Advertisement
Back