UF Game 3

Advertisement
It sure was - even strong supporters of the program and this coaching staff might have thrown in the towel if we lost again today.

The pitching talent of UF's is still at another level compared to ours; no disrespect to McKendry who pitched an unreal game. Where does UF get all these power arms? I thought their starter was as good as Singer and he was painting the black in the low 90's. And their true freshmen middle relievers look close to Friday night guys already. Are any of these kids S Fl kids?

Oh well; hopefully McMahon gets healthy quickly and the team and young players use this win today to build some confidence.

Great performance by McKendry. It's looking like the 4th inning last week was the aberration. His other 9 innings so far this season have been outstanding. Also nice to Escala getting going at the plate during the last game and a half. This was a big win to stay in touch with .500 especially with a road midweek game at FAU on Wednesday. If we'd lost today it very well may have been six straight losses.

Hopefully, Reyes' hand isn't too badly injured and he'll be back in the lineup soon. Really need Bartow back for next weekend with a four game series. I'm guessing Federman will start the extra game with none of the other relievers (outside Cabezas and Hammond) showing much sign of throwing strikes at the moment.

Advertisement
the hitting still needs some work, can't stand our guys looking at pitches, yea i know been saying that for 5+ years

Drives me nuts watching them take pitches. Makes no **** sense. Taking hittable pitches for strike 2, then either swinging at crap balls taking called
3rd strikes. Too many guys not even lifting the bat off their shoulder.

Also, they need to hit the ball to the opposite field. A lot of guys keep trying to pull outside off speed pitches. They gotta see that watching film. I know the opposing teams do. Every team keeps pitching them the same way. Throw strikes early, then paint the outside corner late cause the Canes won't swing.

Hopefully these guys are quick learners. They really need to be more aggressive early in the count and think oppo late in the count.

Drives me nuts watching them take pitches. Makes no **** sense. Taking hittable pitches for strike 2, then either swinging at crap balls taking called

Also, they need to hit the ball to the opposite field. A lot of guys keep trying to pull outside off speed pitches. They gotta see that watching film. I know the opposing teams do. Every team keeps pitching them the same way. Throw strikes early, then paint the outside corner late cause the Canes won't swing.

Hopefully these guys are quick learners. They really need to be more aggressive early in the count and think oppo late in the count.

And DiMare is the hitting coach. This is what we have to look forward to after Morris retires. (n)

Advertisement
Give credit where it is due. Congrats to the team. Held UF to 3 hits in a 0-2 win.
Credit definitely given - loved to see the win. Great outing by McKendry. I'm not sure we can expect that out of him everytime, but it was impressive to see. Other than that big inning Rutgers had that ran him out of the game last weekend, McKendry has been a beast. Cabezas had 3 walks and a wild pitch, but he effectively shut the door by only giving up 1 hit and getting 5 strikeouts...good 3 innings to shut it down.

However, from the big picture view, losing multiple series against the Gators year over year isn't good. Yesterday's win doesn't erase the other losses. We still lost the series 2-1, and if you take in the whole week...we were outscored by UF/Mizzou by a combined 24-7 score, going 1-3 on the week. That tells the story - that's where the program is at...needing a Herculean effort by McKendry on a Sunday at home to steal a rubber game win against UF. The outcome of the other 2 games and the series weren't really ever in doubt. IF the program was where it should be, we should be competing for 3 games and standing toe-to-toe with UF. We tried for an inning or 2 in each of the first 2 games...but it wasn't enough.

I love this team and this program...it just sucks to see where we've fallen to, and makes it tougher to enjoy a win like this knowing the big picture still isn't up to our standards.

I'll go on record right now as saying I think we will make the postseason. I think this team is better than last year's, and should be in a Regional. We won't host, and the argument will be are we a 2 seed or a 3 seed. That's improvement over last year, but it still isn't up to program standards.

anything we do this year is going to hinge on the developmental curve of our Freshman. Trying to get the same production jump that Romy and C. Chester had from year 1 to 2 in half of that time. The thing that scares me the most is how Romy looks at the plate and i worry about getting a repeat of a Johnny Ruiz (i know he wasn't healthy) type drop. Alot of complaining on here swirls around the recruiting but for me its the development that defines how a coaching staff is doing and for us its been hit or miss. Some have trended up (Abreau, Kennedy, Lopez, Collins, and Cabezas) and others have had too much up and down (Chester, Ruiz, Mid-town, and Bartow). To me this is the deficiency with our coaches.

I feel like I've been saying this for over a decade or more. Our hitters are passing up fatter pitches earlier in the count, then attempting to crush the pitcher's best out pitches down 2 strikes. All you have to do to beat this team is throw strikes early. As an opposing pitcher, you're *never* going to have to pay for grooving one right down the middle on a 1-0 count.

It's like our whole offensive philosophy is to take as many pitches as possible and just hope the opposing pitcher makes mistakes. I can't get behind that approach at the plate. First of all, it never puts any pressure on the pitcher. Second, it's truly a boring approach to watch. It makes watching Canes baseball boring, because it looks like we are a light-hitting team hoping for walks.

There's no doubt that UF always has some good pitchers, but this team has for years been making even average to mediocre pitchers look like Cy Young winners. The approach at the plate has to change, and my fear is that DiMare certainly isn't going to be the one to do it.

Advertisement
I feel like I've been saying this for over a decade or more. Our hitters are passing up fatter pitches earlier in the count, then attempting to crush the pitcher's best out pitches down 2 strikes. All you have to do to beat this team is throw strikes early. As an opposing pitcher, you're *never* going to have to pay for grooving one right down the middle on a 1-0 count.

It's like our whole offensive philosophy is to take as many pitches as possible and just hope the opposing pitcher makes mistakes. I can't get behind that approach at the plate. First of all, it never puts any pressure on the pitcher. Second, it's truly a boring approach to watch. It makes watching Canes baseball boring, because it looks like we are a light-hitting team hoping for walks.

There's no doubt that UF always has some good pitchers, but this team has for years been making even average to mediocre pitchers look like Cy Young winners. The approach at the plate has to change, and my fear is that DiMare certainly isn't going to be the one to do it.
Case in point: Mizzou #4 starter looked like freaking Kershaw Wed. night!!! Plate approach has to change. Of all of them i think Jenkins approach is the best and hes just a baby. And for f**** sake Toral they are gonna throw down and away until you figure out how to make em pay for it

I used to like DiMare's teaching approach of being patient, but I agree that isn't as effective anymore. First of all, college pitching is much better and deeper these days than years past and staffs like UF aren't going to give you free passes - they come right at you. The ACC won't be much different.

And Toral and Romy are going to have to get used to going the opposite way (like Romy seemed to do his last couple of at bats)
because good teams aren't coming inside on them until they show they can hit the outside pitch.

I've actually been more disappointed in the pitching staff that was supposed to be our strength. McKendry was excellent Sunday, but everyone else's control leaves a lot to be desired. An average of a walk per inning and way too many 3 ball counts is not going to get it done, even against mediocre teams.

The double play combo is exciting and those two have a chance to be the best in the country at some point.

good opertunity for Cloonan , Allen and one of our bkup C to play this weekend. I have NO desire to watch Tackett play AT ALL. Probably gonna see Maury pitch a bunch too and i think hes pretty good.

Really looking forward to getting on the right side of .500 and hopefully keep gettin better

Advertisement

I agree 100%.

And DiMare is the hitting coach. This is what we have to look forward to after Morris retires. (n)
We'll, maybe. It might be Morris' philosophy. He's the head coach. It's either Morris' philosophy or Morris agrees with DiMare. As a guy who likes to hit (former D-1 1st baseman) I'd hope DiMare would be more aggressive as a hitting coach.

I tend to think it is the Morris philosophy since he's the one who had the guys bunt so much last year (Not so much this year).

FYI, Louisville's hitting coach was my college teammate. Now, I'm showing my age.😉

Advertisement
Back