Two Miami recruits in Capital Classic

TheMatador

All-ACC
I don't follow basketball recruiting very much, but I happened to notice that two Miami commits are playing in the Capital Classic All Star game this evening which features the best players in D.C. versus national all-stars. From what I know, the best in D.C. can be pretty elite themselves.

James Palmer from St. John's High in D.C. is playing for the D.C. all-stars; Ja'Quan Newton of Pennsylvania is playing for the national all stars.

http://www.thecapitalclassic.com/#!rosters2014/cerk

I wish I could find a stream--looked around didn't see one.

As an aside, the Washington Post article yesterday said this was the nation's oldest all star game. I was surprised, because I remembered the highly celebrated Dapper Dan Classic in Pittsburgh in the '60's. In fact, a kid from my HS in Miami was selected.

I knew the Dapper Dan tournament moved to Detroit. The wikipedia said that the game moved around the country, adopted different names, and ended its once illustrious history about seven years ago. Like the famous Big 33 Football Game played every summer in Hershey, PA, I think the Dapper Dan was once the leading HS basketball all star game. I don't think the Big 33 enjoys its once great status. There were years Pennsylvania All-Stars played all stars from the then best states (Texas, Ohio). That was a different era.

Advertisement
The Capital Classic has gone downhill in recent years - which used to be played in the big pro and college arenas in the area, and has now been reduced to a high school gym - and certainly doesn't have the prestige it once did. That being said, it's probably still one of the big games, other than the true giants - McDonald's, Jordan Brand Classic, etc. - and both guys should be proud of making it.

The Capital Classic has gone downhill in recent years - which used to be played in the big pro and college arenas in the area, and has now been reduced to a high school gym - and certainly doesn't have the prestige it once did. That being said, it's probably still one of the big games, other than the true giants - McDonald's, Jordan Brand Classic, etc. - and both guys should be proud of making it.

Yeah, I don't follow this stuff, but I remember when it was played in the Capitol Center and was kind of surprised it's now in a HS gym. The Dapper Dan Classic might have been the first, but it spiraled down and flamed out after many years and in different cities. Kind of sad, given its history.

Advertisement
Back