Transfer candidates for next year

Advertisement
Seth Towns would be a perfect pickup for this team for next year. Doubt we get him but it would be a great fit

Any transfers are a bad idea for a roster with 5 seniors already on the roster.
Two grad transfers would put 7 seniors on the roster. This creates a roster management issue for the following season.
Two sit out transfers along with Deng Gak returning from knee surgery on both knees means Miami only has 10 available scholarship players for practice and games next season.
Miami needs to use the last two scholarships on freshman bigs and have 13 scholarship players on the roster for next season. That will guve them 12 players for practice and games next season. Unfortunately, I don't expect much from Deng Gak next season.

Advertisement
It depends on the specific transfer (position and age). Not all transfers are the same. We should spread out the scholarships regardless of them being transfers of HS Seniors.

You make a valid point and I agree with you. I am speaking in specific to the next two years.

This is the 2020-21 scholarship breakdown:
5 Seniors, 1 Redshirt Junior, 3 Sophomores, 2 Freshman and 2 available scholarships.

Positional scholarship breakdown :
1 PG, 2 CG, 1 SG, 2 SF, 3 PF, 2 C and 2 available scholarships.

Once you realize Deng, Sam, Rodney and Nysier are the upperclassmen bigs, it becomes easy to see why the last two scholarships should be used on 2 freshman bigs. That would be most beneficial for roster management.

OP, thnx for the link. Some intriguing possibilities. Btw, Akinjo already signed with Arizona and LeBlanc with LSU.

Once you realize Deng, Sam, Rodney and Nysier are the upperclassmen bigs, it becomes easy to see why the last two scholarships should be used on 2 freshman bigs. That would be most beneficial for roster management.

I think it was @hotshot who brought up the Mitchell twins from Maryland. Both true freshman, both transferring. Assuming they're not "cancers", given our track record, it makes a lot of sense.

1. We have Brooks available next season, along with Sam, Walker, Gak and maybe Rodney (if we renew his ship). It would be fine to bring in some bigs that have to sit out and/or redshirt.

2. These two have the ability to learn the system and develop as they sit out.

3. They still have 3 years of eligibility after they transfer.

4. Given our track record of filling the class and getting transfers after the season, it may make the most sense to take them now. Get them enrolled. Focus on getting the best 2020 HS Senior available and/or transfer, and call it day.

Advertisement
I think it was @hotshot who brought up the Mitchell twins from Maryland. Both true freshman, both transferring. Assuming they're not "cancers", given our track record, it makes a lot of sense.

1. We have Brooks available next season, along with Sam, Walker, Gak and maybe Rodney (if we renew his ship). It would be fine to bring in some bigs that have to sit out and/or redshirt.

2. These two have the ability to learn the system and develop as they sit out.

3. They still have 3 years of eligibility after they transfer.

4. Given our track record of filling the class and getting transfers after the season, it may make the most sense to take them now. Get them enrolled. Focus on getting the best 2020 HS Senior available and/or transfer, and call it day.

I am not completely sold nor against the idea of adding the Mitchell twins. I do think it is a red flag when players transfer mid semester. Especially when you consider they would probably start at Maryland for the next three years if they would have stayed. Leaving mid semester means they would be eligible to play mid semester next year. Deep background checks are definitely needed with those two players. Transferring to Miami would essentially be the same situation they are leaving at Maryland.
At this point, they would be 4th and 5th options for me as I do not think they are better players than Cliff Omoruyi, Dylan Cardwell or Daniel Batcho.
Miami really needs to avoid sit out transfers as they have 11 scholarship players next season but only 10 are healthy. Miami should not count on Deng Gak next season. Given the injury history of the roster over the past two years, Miami needs 12 healthy players to start next season.

I am not completely sold nor against the idea of adding the Mitchell twins. I do think it is a red flag when players transfer mid semester. Especially when you consider they would probably start at Maryland for the next three years if they would have stayed. Leaving mid semester means they would be eligible to play mid semester next year. Deep background checks are definitely needed with those two players. Transferring to Miami would essentially be the same situation they are leaving at Maryland.
At this point, they would be 4th and 5th options for me as I do not think they are better players than Cliff Omoruyi, Dylan Cardwell or Daniel Batcho.
Miami really needs to avoid sit out transfers as they have 11 scholarship players next season but only 10 are healthy. Miami should not count on Deng Gak next season. Given the injury history of the roster over the past two years, Miami needs 12 healthy players to start next season.

1. Our track record of using ALL of our scholarships is awful. In fact, we're not good at using 12 of them either. We're pretty good at starting the season using 11 total scholarships. This is an easy way to use ALL of the scholarships and create spacing (the spacing of the scholarships).

2. As things stand TODAY, we don't need much eligible help in our front court next year. Even if Rodney is still here, after this season, we have Brooks, Sam, Walker, Gak and Rodney. So regardless of whether they're freshman or transfers who must sit out, these players will be needed for 2020-21. I am not against bringing in a 2020 HS Senior, I am just not optimistic of bringing in one.

3. I am not a fan of them leaving school so early but...provided they're not "cancers" and aren't douchebags, who cares? Have they ever been in trouble before? Perhaps they hate Maryland or competing or something else, they're "kids".

4. Deep background checks? Seriously?

5. Finally, the reason I like a transfer who must sit out is because it creates no issues for burn immediately. Whether they're eligible mid-season or not, you tell them that this is what you have to do and these are your expectations. If you don't like sitting out all of next year, this doesn't work. This isn't my number one option, this is just a good option given our track record.

1. Our track record of using ALL of our scholarships is awful. In fact, we're not good at using 12 of them either. We're pretty good at starting the season using 11 total scholarships. This is an easy way to use ALL of the scholarships and create spacing (the spacing of the scholarships).

2. As things stand TODAY, we don't need much eligible help in our front court next year. Even if Rodney is still here, after this season, we have Brooks, Sam, Walker, Gak and Rodney. So regardless of whether they're freshman or transfers who must sit out, these players will be needed for 2020-21. I am not against bringing in a 2020 HS Senior, I am just not optimistic of bringing in one.

3. I am not a fan of them leaving school so early but...provided they're not "cancers" and aren't douchebags, who cares? Have they ever been in trouble before? Perhaps they hate Maryland or competing or something else, they're "kids".

4. Deep background checks? Seriously?

5. Finally, the reason I like a transfer who must sit out is because it creates no issues for burn immediately. Whether they're eligible mid-season or not, you tell them that this is what you have to do and these are your expectations. If you don't like sitting out all of next year, this doesn't work. This isn't my number one option, this is just a good option given our track record.

I agree with you.

Yes, deep background checks as I want to know why they left Maryland so it does not happen at Miami.

On paper, our 10 look good for next season until they fail to produce or injuries occur or Coach L gets on his "playing time has to be earned rant."
Rodney Miller has sure earned his minutes.

Miami really and I mean it is a must Coach L uses all 13 scholarships because if what has happened the last two years happens next season then he should be fired. You cannot allow anyone to make the same mistake over and over again.

I want Coach L to be successful but he needs to convince himself to use all of his scholarships to give himself a chance at winning.

More from 247 on the Mitchells.

"The mother of former Maryland basketball players Makhi Mitchell and Makhel Mitchell criticized Terps coach Mark Turgeon Sunday on Twitter, saying her sons -- twin brothers who announced Friday they were entering the NCAA's transfer portal -- were "railroaded."

"So u railroad my guys who committed to the school in 2016 because u wanted to free up some time for Chol [Marial] to play. Read between the lines fans So u made up some nonsense that didn't make since [sic] at all," Maria Mitchell wrote. "And on top of that u tell me as a parent that loves her children that u would Only except one of the twins. It was no mutual agreement. We was forced out. Mark Turgeon is untrustworthy. Do not trust Mark Turgeon."

Sources told IMS that Turgeon was prepared to hand out a suspension to one or both twins on Friday, but after meeting with them and their mother, the decision was instead made for them to leave the program. The 7-foot-2 Marial, their fellow freshman, was cleared to play recently and made his debut today in Maryland's 84-70 win over Bryant, hence Maria Mitchell's reference to him."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wouldn't surprised to see the twins stay local. Maybe GW?

Last edited:
Advertisement
More from 247 on the Mitchells.

"The mother of former Maryland basketball players Makhi Mitchell and Makhel Mitchell criticized Terps coach Mark Turgeon Sunday on Twitter, saying her sons -- twin brothers who announced Friday they were entering the NCAA's transfer portal -- were "railroaded."

"So u railroad my guys who committed to the school in 2016 because u wanted to free up some time for Chol [Marial] to play. Read between the lines fans So u made up some nonsense that didn't make since [sic] at all," Maria Mitchell wrote. "And on top of that u tell me as a parent that loves her children that u would Only except one of the twins. It was no mutual agreement. We was forced out. Mark Turgeon is untrustworthy. Do not trust Mark Turgeon."

Sources told IMS that Turgeon was prepared to hand out a suspension to one or both twins on Friday, but after meeting with them and their mother, the decision was instead made for them to leave the program. The 7-foot-2 Marial, their fellow freshman, was cleared to play recently and made his debut today in Maryland's 84-70 win over Bryant, hence Maria Mitchell's reference to him."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wouldn't surprised to see the twins stay local. Maybe GW?

Thank you for posting this information.

I agree. Reading between the lines, it sounds like one twin is clearly better than the other but the mother does not want them to separated for any reason.

GW is probably a perfect fit or UMBC or maybe even Towson.Wherever both can play and start.

I am not surprised by Mark Turgeon as most college coaches lie to get players to commit.

Think Georgetown and GW were the local suitors, along with Maryland, when they were in HS. I rule out Georgetown now only because of all the roster turnover Pat Ewing has had recently. I doubt he's looking for more problems. I think the twins will end up at a better program than UMBC or Towson. Pitt is always attractive to DC kids.

The 7'2 kid the mom references, Chol Marial, looks like a beast.

Just read Turgeon's response to the twins' mom: "When asked about the accusation postgame, Turgeon responded, “No comment, no comment,” then muttered “Jesus” under his breath."

Think Georgetown and GW were the local suitors, along with Maryland, when they were in HS. I rule out Georgetown now only because of all the roster turnover Pat Ewing has had recently. I doubt he's looking for more problems. I think the twins will end up at a better program than UMBC or Towson. Pitt is always attractive to DC kids.

The 7'2 kid the mom references, Chol Marial, looks like a beast.

Just read Turgeon's response to the twins' mom: "When asked about the accusation postgame, Turgeon responded, “No comment, no comment,” then muttered “Jesus” under his breath."

Thank you again. This is the type of background information you need before you accept any transfer. Given this information, I have lost interest in the Mitchell Twins.

Advertisement
Being a HC is no bed of roses. The mom sounds like a coach's worst nightmare. When you accept a commitment with the kid having 2 years left in HS, you're often asking for trouble. Much can change, as it did for the twins and the Terps.

I’d take Kahlil Whitney. He is transferring.

I’d take him and O’Neal and call it a day. Be prepared to take a grad transfer, should someone leave.

Advertisement
Back