TOP same ****

jackedaround

Junior
One game, fau we've won the top. Doesn't matter right? I'd like to know how many teams who can't execute on offense win the game when losing the top battle.

They made an effort to win top against unc and we still didn't win it. Much more runs much less throws. Obviously they are trying new things. But I'd want to know why we threw less. Coaches prob didn't want our defense on the field for 11 more minutes like fsu or hey 20 more minutes like ga tech.

Advertisement
Chip Kelly revolutionized this argument and has been proven correct. Its NOT about time of possession, its about how many plays you actually run.

I'd be curious to see how UM rates with regard to total number of offensive plays run versus their opponents and/or FBS in general.

Advertisement
One game, fau we've won the top. Doesn't matter right? I'd like to know how many teams who can't execute on offense win the game when losing the top battle.

They made an effort to win top against unc and we still didn't win it. Much more runs much less throws. Obviously they are trying new things. But I'd want to know why we threw less. Coaches prob didn't want our defense on the field for 11 more minutes like fsu or hey 20 more minutes like ga tech.
TOP doesn't mean anything. The part in bold is where you should have stopped.

I don't think winning or losing the TOP is as important as using the time that you have efficiently. Three and outs hurt us....A LOT, especially with us running tempo. If we ran tempo and scored, then TOP is a distant though.

But since we are struggling to score...convert third downs, then yes...losing TOP is a major coaching oversight. Moreso, against good offensives, we should WANT to hold the ball longer to keep them off the field and give our young defense a rest...but of course, that's just not something we're doing. :-/

I don't think winning or losing the TOP is as important as using the time that you have efficiently. Three and outs hurt us....A LOT, especially with us running tempo. If we ran tempo and scored, then TOP is a distant though.

But since we are struggling to score...convert third downs, then yes...losing TOP is a major coaching oversight. Moreso, against good offensives, we should WANT to hold the ball longer to keep them off the field and give our young defense a rest...but of course, that's just not something we're doing. :-/

38 percent on 3rd downs. 85 teams convert it better.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back