Top 25 Skill Position (Offense ) Players of the last 5 years

Stedman Bailey?

Mentioned in the original post that he'd obviously be there on a hindsight list. Despite some guys talking him up a bit, I didn't know enough about him when he was a HS prospect.

Advertisement
Stedman Bailey was one of your boys finest calls.

Me and that dude gogeta hit that one out of the **** park.

Lamar Miller 1700 yds in Dade County senior season
Willie Downs .. thought he was the next big thing, what Fred Rouse should've been or could've been an awesome safety too

Willia Downs is the truth. Just couldn't get out of his own way.

Thought of Downs as a defensive player.

Never would have worked out. He was never big on contact.

Google search --> Here's what his JC coach said: "I think he's a better defensive player. More like a strong safety type. He roams the center field pretty good when we played him on defense."

I thought of him as a Safety coming out. Same way I thought Jamal Reid would be a Safety. LOL @ what actually happens.

He didn't even play safety for us his senior. Great at playing the center field role, but his heart wasn't on that side, didn't enjoy playing it and he was supposed to go to the CFL to play WR (but he had a visa issue)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Willia Downs is the truth. Just couldn't get out of his own way.

Thought of Downs as a defensive player.

Never would have worked out. He was never big on contact.

Google search --> Here's what his JC coach said: "I think he's a better defensive player. More like a strong safety type. He roams the center field pretty good when we played him on defense."

I thought of him as a Safety coming out. Same way I thought Jamal Reid would be a Safety. LOL @ what actually happens.

He didn't even play safety for us his senior. Great at playing the center field role, but his heart wasn't on that side, didn't enjoy playing it and he was supposed to go to the CFL to play WR (but he had a visa issue)

Shame. He could have been a good Safety, it seemed.

Fair bit harder than the defensive rankings.

1. Duke Johnson
2. Teddy Bridgewater
3. Sammy Watkins
4. Ivan McCartney
5. Kelvin Taylor
6. Alex Collins
7. Andre Debose
8. Orson Charles
9. Nick O'Leary
10. James Wilder Jr
11. Dee Hart
12. Amari Cooper
13. Mike Bellamy
14. Aaron Murray
15. Derrick Henry

I wasn't that into non-canes recruiting in 09 so I really didn't look at Trent much then, so I didn't even bother putting him in there. Agholor probably should be on there but he's another guy I just didn't see much of. Really don't feel good about those rankings, hard to do anything good when comparing guys over multiple years and at different positions.

The lack of Canes on these lists is quite sad. Hopefully in a few years we can look back and see this list with Duke, Sony, Cook and Lane all towards the top playing for Miami.

driskel should not be on anybody's list, even at 20. the dude sucks and he never produced in hs either, his best year was something like 1600 yds. passing or somewhere around there, pathetic. he was rated highly because he has all the measurable and then some, all he ever did was run around.

Advertisement
Just South Florida players...obviously, guys like Trent Richardson were universally acclaimed in-state...but I don't focus a whole bunch on football outside of South Florida unless its a guy Miami has the full court press on or has a commitment from...

Guys I really liked from South Florida.

Duke Johnson
Teddy Bridgewater
Geno Smith
Stedman Bailey
Sticks McCartney
Sammy Watkins
Nick O'Leary
Lamar Miller
Denard Robinson

Just South Florida players...obviously, guys like Trent Richardson were universally acclaimed in-state...but I don't focus a whole bunch on football outside of South Florida unless its a guy Miami has the full court press on or has a commitment from...

Duke Johnson
Teddy Bridgewater
Geno Smith
Stedman Bailey
Sticks McCartney
Sammy Watkins
Nick O'Leary
Lamar Miller
Denard Robinson

If I'm not mistaken, you were on the Denard Robinson to WR train.

Duke Johnson
Teddy Bridgewater
Geno Smith
Stedman Bailey
Sticks McCartney
Sammy Watkins
Nick O'Leary
Lamar Miller
Denard Robinson

In the same vein as Winky Flowers...just get him the **** in here. But yeah, I thought he'd be a WR here...even though we were recruiting him as a DB. I will always be on the train of the SoFla athlete. Figure out position later.

I saw him nearly beat Miami Northwestern and from there, I knew kid was real deal as an athlete. You don't let them kids out of your sight.

driskel should not be on anybody's list, even at 20. the dude sucks and he never produced in hs either, his best year was something like 1600 yds. passing or somewhere around there, pathetic. he was rated highly because he has all the measurable and then some, all he ever did was run around.

Never seen a guy with as little feel for being a QB as Driskel. Dude makes Gabbert look like Brady in the pocket.

Advertisement

Duke Johnson
Teddy Bridgewater
Geno Smith
Stedman Bailey
Sticks McCartney
Sammy Watkins
Nick O'Leary
Lamar Miller
Denard Robinson

In the same vein as Winky Flowers...just get him the **** in here. But yeah, I thought he'd be a WR here...even though we were recruiting him as a DB. I will always be on the train of the SoFla athlete. Figure out position later.

I saw him nearly beat Miami Northwestern and from there, I knew kid was real deal as an athlete. You don't let them kids out of your sight.

And he didnt almost beat any NW, He almost beat the senior undefeated 08 class in the OB. They had to have a Spence 4th down stop at the 1, then Jacory had to drive NW 99 yards with under a minute left... What a game.

Duke Johnson
Teddy Bridgewater
Geno Smith
Stedman Bailey
Sticks McCartney
Sammy Watkins
Nick O'Leary
Lamar Miller
Denard Robinson

And he didnt almost beat any NW, He almost beat the senior undefeated 08 class in the OB. They had to have a Spence 4th down stop at the 1, then Jacory had to drive NW 99 yards with under a minute left... What a game.

Was a legitimate great game.

Still have the DVD of it laying around.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back