2. Alabama 61-36
3. Ohio State 45-56
4. Notre Dame 55-44
5. Oklahoma State 44-55
6. Iowa 50-50
7. Florida 49-49
8. Houston 38-61
9. Oklahoma 45-53

Interesting stat for the pro-Herman crowd (Goldenesque type stat) Not comparing him to Golden by any means.

Advertisement
Herman's schedule is a joke, but I think what excites most people is the fact that his roster isn't that much better than the teams he has faced and that he isn't just skating by on talent. He legitimately is beating everyone in the x's and o's department. And his team looks to be pretty well coached for year one.

There's still plenty of risk in hiring him, but he has a ridiculously high ceiling from what he has shown to this point and a lot of things that were red flags with Golden are not present with Herman right now. Mainly that he's still beating the teams that have winning records when he faces them and is winning schematically.

Herman has won every game this year. You can't fault him for the strength of schedule.

I was surprised to see that Houston pulled out the game over Memphis...

He sounds like a solid coach in the making...

I just think he's a bit low on experience at the HC level...

If he had a few years of HC experience, I'd probably pay closer attention to how he's doing (for the Miami job)...

1. Clemson 45-35
2. Alabama 61-36
3. Ohio State 45-56
4. Notre Dame 55-44
5. Oklahoma State 44-55
6. Iowa 50-50
7. Florida 49-49
8. Houston 38-61
9. Oklahoma 45-53

Interesting stat for the pro-Herman crowd (Goldenesque type stat) Not comparing him to Golden by any means.

1. Clemson 45-35
2. Alabama 61-36
3. Ohio State 45-56
4. Notre Dame 55-44
5. Oklahoma State 44-55
6. Iowa 50-50
7. Florida 49-49
8. Houston 38-61
9. Oklahoma 45-53

First, I'm confused how Bama's opponents have played 17 more games than Clemson's.
Second, you can't fault Herman for his schedule but you should also remember that Houston is on the level with the teams it has played. They were a five loss team last year with that schedule.

Advertisement
Houston ends the season with .500 UConn, a 10-win Navy, and a conference title game if they beat Navy. That opposition record stat will look much better in a few weeks. It will probably look like a Big 12 schedule.

1. Clemson 45-35
2. Alabama 61-36
3. Ohio State 45-56
4. Notre Dame 55-44
5. Oklahoma State 44-55
6. Iowa 50-50
7. Florida 49-49
8. Houston 38-61
9. Oklahoma 45-53

his team came back from down 20 and down 17 to win the game against a memphis team that would beat everyone we have played but clemson. enough said.

How can you cite something as "Goldenesque" and then say you aren't comparing the two?

Highly doubt Golden would have come close to winning 10 games in his first year at Houston, regardless of the schedule. Golden couldn't even manage to have a winning record with 7 NFL players on his roster

Edit: also, check Golden's SOS in his best year at Temple. I think it was almost dead last and he could only manage 9-4.

Last edited:
Herman's schedule is a joke, but I think what excites most people is the fact that his roster isn't that much better than the teams he has faced and that he isn't just skating by on talent. He legitimately is beating everyone in the x's and o's department. And his team looks to be pretty well coached for year one.

There's still plenty of risk in hiring him, but he has a ridiculously high ceiling from what he has shown to this point and a lot of things that were red flags with Golden are not present with Herman right now. Mainly that he's still beating the teams that have winning records when he faces them and is winning schematically.

His roster is much better

Advertisement

People act like Herman walked into SMU and started winning.

People act like Herman walked into SMU and started winning.

No one is acting like that. Hyperbole isn't going to help your argument either. Houston wasn't terrible when he came in. They were 8-5 last year which isn't bad at all, but he's winning games by out coaching everyone he's facing. He's not winning because of talent and talent alone like Alfred did so many times here. Herman's team is at least playing good football on both sides of the ball from an x's and o's standpoint and is why they've gone from 8-5 to 9-0 already. It doesn't mean he's the next Urban Meyer, but he definitely is having a good season. There is still plenty of risk in hiring the man.

Advertisement
Back