Tonye's development

Problem2

All-American
Premium
Let's talk about how he is turning into a good/very good player

Larranaga the gawd

Advertisement
I understand Duke has a legit starting NBA center, but man he got man handled on the boards.

Dudes playing great D though, I think Larranaga is the only one who saw the potential in him his freshman year.

Having a 7 footer plug up the middle is huge, and itll be the twin towers once Cruz Uceda is up to speed.

I think he is getting much better and the development is obvious. Remember he is only 20 years old and has been playing basketball for less than 5 years. He is getting close to a double double guy. My concern is can he play more intense/physical.

Perhaps Coach L wants him playing this way because we need him to log minutes and he can't foul out. There are times (like last night) when he needs to slam the ball instead of that finesse crap.

Jekiri has learned not to leave his feet on defense. He is just standing there putting his hands up and it is altering our opponents shot's each game. There were a few times when Duke players had perfect position in the low post on Jekiri and still missed the lay up because he took away the angle. In a perfect world, it would be great for Jekiri to finish that pass up when he was next to the rim and also play more physical. But I think his improvement has been drastic. He catches basically everything his hands touch and does have a soft touch. He's also starting to be effective when he gets the ball more than 3 ft from the basket. Our guards are constantly penetrating and this leaves Jekiri with the ball moving towards the basket. The last two years he would turn it over or miss a shot. Yesterday he had a great finish and then another time took one dribble and passed to someone for a dunk.

Advertisement
Back