Tin Foil Hat Series: Groot & Phillips at Defensive Tackle

RangerGranger

Gnome Sayin'?
1583529951796.png

Last year, Groot played defensive tackle quite a bit. While at DT, he had 5 sacks and multiple TFLs and pressures. Kudos to Blake Baker for thinking outside of the box in an effort to get the most talent on the field. Joseph Jackson did this, Groot, and now I think we can play another: Jaelan Phillips. Last I heard he was 265? But it goes back to the fact that Groot and Phillips can just flat out run around opposing guards. I encourage you to watch this video to see the blueprint set by Groot. Also, in today's college football world, keeping the quarterback in the pocket is paramount to stopping your opponent on 3rd down. Last year we ranked 42nd in this category.

1583531204747.png

IF Jaelan Phillips can play DT on passing downs, then we have the most athletic front 4 in the country.

DE: Quincy Roche
DT: Groot
DT: Phillips
DE: JahFari Harvey

Couple this front 4 with effective press coverage and we should rank in the top 20 in the category next year, at the very least.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why do this when he can get by 95% of the tackles out there. If we had tackles that can can consistently get in the back field (Willis, RJ) we wouldn’t be having this hypothetical.
But I see where your going with it.
I would absolutely try it. Having 4 very fast dudes in there would create a problem. Very few olines have all four dudes that can deal with that quick first step from the entire defensive front. On top of that we are going to have sped at linebacker and safety.

3rd down package

DE: Quincy Roche RUSH THE QB
DT: Groot RUSH THE QB
DT: Silvera/Miller/Ford PUSH THE POCKET/RUSH THE QB
DE: Phillips RUSH THE QB

Seems bat**** crazy to put a lottery pick in Groot at DT but we're miami fans right?

When you say we need 1 DT to push the pocket, do you really just mean we need one person to draw the double team? In my proposed package, I admit, Groot would draw the double team. That leaves 3 others with 1 on 1 matchups.

Plus, do you really want to push the pocket on 3rd? I get why you'd want to, but I'd rather have more of a spy role because it is absolutely back-breaking to see a QB rush for a 1st on 3rd and long and to see one of our tubbies trying to catch him.

There could be multiple lethal combos. Baker should be licking his chops thinking of the possibilities.

Advertisement
When you say we need 1 DT to push the pocket, do you really just mean we need one person to draw the double team? In my proposed package, I admit, Groot would draw the double team. That leaves 3 others with 1 on 1 matchups.

Plus, do you really want to push the pocket on 3rd? I get why you'd want to, but I'd rather have more of a spy role because it is absolutely back-breaking to see a QB rush for a 1st on 3rd and long and to see one of our tubbies trying to catch him.

I like having the ability to make the defense choose who to double in Nesta/Groot. Nestas bull rush can command a double team so that's what i meant by push the pocket. Both lineups are great though. Embarrassment of riches

Love that we have so many different combinations we can throw out there for 3rd down, considering distance for a 1st. All 4 DE’s in at once would absolutely make OC’s cringe in trying to scheme against that. Especially like you said we play press man and utilize our new found speed at LB spot.

3rd and California

DE Harvey Dent
DT Groot
DT Wilson Phillips
DE Roche Motel

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back