Timing of the Hire

HurricaneUWW

Savvy Vet
Makes the most sense to me to hire the new coach, if possible, immediately following the regular season (during that week). Let the new guy get in and start implementing the new schemes. Anyone else feel there is a better time?

Also, do you feel that would be realistic given the potential candidates?

Advertisement
Yea we have to start gaining momentum especially if we win these next games. If we even finish the season 9-4 with the bowl win the new coach can use that in his favor to recruit. These next weeks are critical for the program's future. Win out and we are a 10 win team that's big in college football

if the players defeat UNC they may well run the table for 2 more wins. With UNC as suspect as they are (since their schedule have been soft), they can very well lose to either Vtech or NCState. This would propel UM to the ACC Title game, and a premier bowl game as ACC Title game participant, even as the 2nd best ACC team if they lose the ACC Title game, it would warrant the best bowl game in over 10 years,

I understand that a coaching hire may be a distracter ... but the recruits are getting restless ... there is only like 50 days until the EE s are an campus ... somewhere

Having said that, it'd be unlikely for UM Admin & BoT to announce/pick a new coach while the players are balling and on this run. As a fan, you want UM players to beat all their opponents yet defeating teams and being on a run to the ACC Title game is a condition that what won't cause this decision to be hastened, but make decision delayed. The flip side: No Haste is that UM players run the table. I know that with the players run the table, they would get a better shot at getting consideration from any available coach. And from the handful of top elite coaches (anywhere, any level) that may not have taken the UM position seriously or given it a second look, these players' successful body of work [by then] would surely secure these players and their team an actual consideration from these top coaches to coach our players.

Coaches measure an upcoming team and college by lots of factors, but chief factor amongst many factors by the truly elite coaches that have choices is the actual team of players that'd strapping up for Spring and the upcoming Fall season. The U will be loaded for 2016, and a coach considering all the teams with vacancy can see that the U has the top team returning in 2016 and thus UM players give the respected top elite coach the best chance of being successful right off the bat, bar none.

I see a whole other huge intangible benefit (tangible to me) that if the team run the table, then the incoming Coach won't have to think (and lower expectation) and sell that he is coming as a savior of this sinking ship, and needs time. And thus, he has to rebuild and keep more water from coming in, so he is all in on stopping and stabilizing the hemorrhaging (bleeding) before he could tackle the task at hand....then the whole cycle of rebuilding is being re-run all over again. [***** that!]

A winning current UM team blunts that crap, and the incoming Coach, Butch or whomever most elite Coach, would recognize they need to start playing for Titles right away in the Spring campaign through the Fall campaign, and ***** that rebuilding crap. Rather, they'd all in to win and re-load ! What should a parent want? Get a coach under ideal timing, not just as soon as possible. Yet, if our players get blown out by UNC this Saturday, the new coach will be announced shortly. Having patience to let this all play out brings the best karma for UM Football and your son's future team.

Advertisement
Back