Three boring years

rayray

Sophomore
Thinking about Manny's tenure, I want to put the general mediocrity aside for a second. The thing I hate the most about this era is how boring, unmemorable, and unexciting his teams have been. He coaches an (alleged) aggressive style on defense, and hired an (alleged) up tempo, spread offensive coordinator... but his teams have been consistently dreadful to watch, sucking all the fun out of Miami football. They've just existed there on the field, barely giving you any reason to tune in.

Randy Shannon was a mediocre coach, at best. But Jacory Harris, for all his faults, was a fun, memorable player. Travis Benjamin was a fun player. Graig Cooper, Damien Berry. Leonard Hankerson even.

Al Golden was a mediocre coach, at best. But Lamar Miller was a fun player. Duke Johnson was one of the most exciting players in school history. Stephen Morris was a fun QB. Phillip Dorsett, Stacy Coley were big play receivers.

Few if any of these teams were good -- in fact most were crushing disappointments, a familiar feeling. But I still have fond memories of watching these players despite the mediocrity and bad losses. The worst thing I can say about Manny's teams is I have no idea what I'm even supposed to remember as being exciting or what gave (gives) me any reason to watch his teams play. D'Eriq King against NC State and Greg Rousseau against FSU is about the best I can come up with. It's really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Watching this team vs App State, Michigan State, UVA... the slow realization that another UM team is going to be 7-5 felt familiar. But feeling like nothing exciting is ever going to happen on the field -- that part I'm not used to, and I'm not even talking about Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Devin Hester, etc. Where is the juice? Where are the playmakers? Where is the fun?

You can be a mediocre or bad college football team, there's lots of them, especially in this day and age with so much of the top talent funneling to 5 schools. We're used to it. But, in my eyes, Manny has spent three years committing a worse sin, and that's putting a consistently boring and vapid product on the field. Good riddance, and I hope the next guy at least fixes this issue. Wins will almost feel like a bonus.

Advertisement
the only thing preventing me from agreeing with you is how badly we've beaten fsu over the last few years, last year especially. yes, they are absolute trash, but better than getting steamrolled or blowing leads to them like al and randy did. it's honestly the only game i really care about year in and year out since we've become a middling team.

i feel you on that... it's about all he's got. his win in tallahassee was pretty cool. last year's almost feels like it didn't even happen to me tho, prob bcuz of covid

Thinking about Manny's tenure, I want to put the general mediocrity aside for a second. The thing I hate the most about this era is how boring, unmemorable, and unexciting his teams have been. He coaches an (alleged) aggressive style on defense, and hired an (alleged) up tempo, spread offensive coordinator... but his teams have been consistently dreadful to watch, sucking all the fun out of Miami football. They've just existed there on the field, barely giving you any reason to tune in.

Randy Shannon was a mediocre coach, at best. But Jacory Harris, for all his faults, was a fun, memorable player. Travis Benjamin was a fun player. Graig Cooper, Damien Berry. Leonard Hankerson even.

Al Golden was a mediocre coach, at best. But Lamar Miller was a fun player. Duke Johnson was one of the most exciting players in school history. Stephen Morris was a fun QB. Phillip Dorsett, Stacy Coley were big play receivers.

Few if any of these teams were good -- in fact most were crushing disappointments, a familiar feeling. But I still have fond memories of watching these players despite the mediocrity and bad losses. The worst thing I can say about Manny's teams is I have no idea what I'm even supposed to remember as being exciting or what gave (gives) me any reason to watch his teams play. D'Eriq King against NC State and Greg Rousseau against FSU is about the best I can come up with. It's really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Watching this team vs App State, Michigan State, UVA... the slow realization that another UM team is going to be 7-5 felt familiar. But feeling like nothing exciting is ever going to happen on the field -- that part I'm not used to, and I'm not even talking about Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Devin Hester, etc. Where is the juice? Where are the playmakers? Where is the fun?

You can be a mediocre or bad college football team, there's lots of them, especially in this day and age with so much of the top talent funneling to 5 schools. We're used to it. But, in my eyes, Manny has spent three years committing a worse sin, and that's putting a consistently boring and vapid product on the field. Good riddance, and I hope the next guy at least fixes this issue. Wins will almost feel like a bonus.
Was just talking to some friends the other day about this exact same thing. For as maddening and awful as the Golden era was there were some really fun, entertaining games and players. Now we’re bad and boring. I can’t believe how bored I am watching games the last 3 years, with very few exceptions. I have literally fallen asleep during 3 out of 5 games in 2021.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I knew the chains and rings gimmick was getting old fast… and when Diaz became head coach I knew it was only going to get worse Because he was going to double down…

I just hate seeing the kids flat out not interested in it having to pose and put the stuff on because I’m guessing it’s contracted to do so

Was just talking to some friends the other day about this exact same thing. For as maddening and awful as the Golden era was there were some really fun, entertaining games and players. Now we’re bad and boring. I can’t believe how bored I am watching games the last 3 years, with very few exceptions. I have fallen literally fallen asleep during 3 out of 5 games in 2021.
To be honest with you, a big part of the problem is the targeting rule. That **** rule alone has brought the level of intensity down a ton. College football itself just isn't the same, at all. Also, too **** many touchbacks now. There is NO SENSE in even having kickoffs anymore.

That coupled with our complete ineptitude has made the sport absolutely suck. Oh, and the chains, rings, sideline photos, dance moves, you name it. This game is just not what it was 20 years ago. Oh, and the portal BS. I'm really close to walking away from it, after being a Cane fan for 40 years.

To be honest with you, a big part of the problem is the targeting rule. That **** rule alone has brought the level of intensity down a ton. College football itself just isn't the same, at all. Also, too **** many touchbacks now. There is NO SENSE in even having kickoffs anymore.

That coupled with our complete ineptitude has made the sport absolutely suck. Oh, and the chains, rings, sideline photos, dance moves, you name it. This game is just not what it was 20 years ago. Oh, and the portal BS. I'm really close to walking away from it, after being a Cane fan for 40 years.
Agree on college football overall being a much worse product than it was 10-20-30 years ago but that has nothing to do with how uniquely boring the Miami Hurricanes have become become to watch under Diaz

Advertisement
Agree on college football overall being a much worse product than it was 10-20-30 years ago but that has nothing to do with how uniquely boring the Miami Hurricanes have become become to watch under Diaz
I know, but the timing couldn't have been worse for Diaz, because they do coincide. All this crap started around the time he was hired. All of it.

Advertisement
Back