Thoughts so far...

Both Beverly and Wong have shown the ability at times of making jump shots. I agree that needs to earn them minutes.

Walker, again, didn't play at all. Is he ill/injured? Or, should we expect his transfer out any day now.

Advertisement
Both Beverly and Wong have shown the ability at times of making jump shots. I agree that needs to earn them minutes.

Walker, again, didn't play at all. Is he ill/injured? Or, should we expect his transfer out any day now.

Walker is my guess to transfer.

1. I admit that Walker isn’t a fully polished player and is still raw. But he is a freshman who started playing in HS. If he was told that he was going to redshirt his freshman year, it would be very different and expectations would be known in advance.

2. There is no report of an injury.

3. I believe Walker is in Coach’s doghouse, I am unclear why, but I believe he is there.

4. There is no dominant player in our front court and there are plenty of minutes there. It isn’t like he can’t play 5-10 MPG based on who we have. If there were two good players and a decent bench, that would be very different.

I apologize for saying "Walker sighting" on Tuesday. I rewatched it was actually Kam coming back in.

Yes, real puzzlement why Walker doesn't play; especially when the starters struggle and Beverly and Wong don't look too spiffy in relief.

Maybe back to the issue of reporters asking Coach L some better questions at pressers and elsewhere. If they are reading these threads please consider asking what the situation with Walker PT is about.

I think Stone has been far from great, but compared to Rodney I guess it's relative. When I saw Chris make a great pass to Rodney under the basket and he just looked shocked and passed the ball away instead of (smoothly?) going up, I think I have given up on him forever now.

Advertisement
Hopefully when Miami needs a new coach after Larranaga retires or whatever, we actually do a national search instead of just promoting an assistant. However, if BJ is still here, I wouldn't hold my breath.

OK, so our next 4 games:

@ NC State - they are 2-3 in conference. Lost to 3-3 ACC GaTech at home (early season) and on the road to 2-3 ACC Clemson (who we beat) and 3-2 ACC VaTech recently. Not the same as losing to undefeated ACC Duke (twice) and 1-loss ACC Louisville. We will need better play in the frontcourt and for Lykes to stay out of stupid foul trouble, but this is a game that we MIGHT be able to win.

F$U in Coral Gables - not gonna lie, this is a tall order. They are 4-1 with only an early season road loss to 2-3 ACC Pitt (who we beat). However, the game is in Coral Gables and this is a great chance to steal a game.

@ Duke - come on, as long as Vernon Carey Jr. plays, this is a loss.

@ North Carolina - early in the season, I had this one as a loss. But UNC is 1-4 ACC. And if we were only talking about a road loss to 3-2 UVa, that would be one thing. But they have THREE recent home losses to 3-3 ACC GaTech, 2-3 ACC Pitt (who we beat), and 2-3 Clemson (who we beat). This game is looking surprisingly winnable for Miami.

I'd be happy to go 2-2 on this swing (which would put us on track to be 10-10 in conference, as I predicted), but if Coach L can pull out of this with 3 wins, then porsters need to stop acting as if this season is "as bad as" last season.

The irony the Coach L wants to teach the freshman accountability when he will not hold himself accountable for not using all 13 scholarships for the 7th year in a row is quite interesting.

My thoughts and opinion about this season has not changed one bit. In order for this team to be successful, the freshman have to play and contribute. I expected the freshman to be more involved in the rotation by January but I failed to realize how stubborn Coach L can be. Coach L needs to loosen up and let the freshman learn from their mistakes and play through their mistakes. It is so outdated to sit a kid for the entire game over one mistake.

If Miami is serious about having a winning season and making the NCAA tournament, all three freshman has to play and contribute.

The irony the Coach L wants to teach the freshman accountability when he will not hold himself accountable for not using all 13 scholarships for the 7th year in a row is quite interesting.

My thoughts and opinion about this season has not changed one bit. In order for this team to be successful, the freshman have to play and contribute. I expected the freshman to be more involved in the rotation by January but I failed to realize how stubborn Coach L can be. Coach L needs to loosen up and let the freshman learn from their mistakes and play through their mistakes. It is so outdated to sit a kid for the entire game over one mistake.

If Miami is serious about having a winning season and making the NCAA tournament, all three freshman has to play and contribute.

I love when message board posters think they know more about how to develop players than the coach who took a mid major to the final four and won the ACC regular season and tourney title at Miami (in addition to two sweet 16’s).

And you have no idea what Coach L does or doesn’t hold himself accountable for... or do you think he should call you personally to apologize?

Good lord, you “fans” don’t even deserve the fun next year will be... but lucky for you you’re gonna get it anyway.

Advertisement
I love when message board posters think they know more about how to develop players than the coach who took a mid major to the final four and won the ACC regular season and tourney title at Miami (in addition to two sweet 16’s).

And you have no idea what Coach L does or doesn’t hold himself accountable for... or do you think he should call you personally to apologize?

Good lord, you “fans” don’t even deserve the fun next year will be... but lucky for you you’re gonna get it anyway.
I won't say "what has he done lately" but I will point out at least 2 highly capable assistants that helped are now successful head coaches elsewhere. Maybe Flake James won't give him the funds to get equal (or better) staff but the proof is largely in the current(lack of) results. And the roster management mess speaks for itself although maybe it's one beaten overly dead horse too many in this forum.

You're of course free to bash (other posters) away, but if a fan forum isn't an appropriate place to criticize, largely constructively, an under-performing coach perhaps past his prime, then things have really gone south. And I don't mean Coral Gables.

I won't say "what has he done lately" but I will point out at least 2 highly capable assistants that helped are now successful head coaches elsewhere. Maybe Flake James won't give him the funds to get equal (or better) staff but the proof is largely in the current(lack of) results. And the roster management mess speaks for itself although maybe it's one beaten overly dead horse too many in this forum.

You're of course free to bash (other posters) away, but if a fan forum isn't an appropriate place to criticize, largely constructively, an under-performing coach perhaps past his prime, then things have really gone south. And I don't mean Coral Gables.

Yes. For sure. People are free to offer dumb takes (“criticism”). And other people are free to identify the dumb takes as dumb.

Thinking for even a moment that you might know more about player development than Coach L is really impressively ignorant.

Criticism over roster management is one thing (mostly misguided due to a lack of knowledge/understanding by fans)... but rabbit holes abound on this board.

We're going to win 6 or 7 ACC games this season.

1583466231410.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back