Those blaming the GT lose on the offense

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=400547790

This is the drive charts of the GT/Miami each team ony had 7 possessions because the D could not get GT off the field

Miami 7 drives
3 scores (2 TDs 1 very short chip shot FG)
2 Turnovers (one inside the redzone the other after the O gained 48 yards)
2 Punts

So out of 7 possesions the offense had 4 drives of over 70 yards then got the ball inside GT 15 yard line. We also averaged 7.6 yards per play which is really good.

GT 7 drives
4 scores all TD
2 time consuming effective non scoring drives detailed below
-a 10 play 5:30 minutes drive they resulted in a punt with about 30 seconds left in the 1st half. This is important cause GT got the ball first in the second half
-a 9 play drive that took the game down from 9 minutes to 3:30 minutes in a two possession game 28-17 at the time
1 first QTR punt after 2 first towns

so if review 6 out of 7 of GT's drives were highly successful

they had a minimum of two first downs EVERY drive, every possession took at least 5 minutes except its first TD which was 8 plays 62 yards and only took 4:31

So Miami offense was 3 plays away from a perfect game yet its not the defensive fault for getting its **** pushed in for 70 striaght plays and only one tackle for a loss??????

If a normal amount of possesions would have occured the game would have been 42-31 just like the Nebraska game. In fact the games drives MIRROR each other except for the fact their was less of them cause GT slowed down the pace of the game.

Last edited:
Advertisement

This is the drive charts of the GT/Miami each team ony had 7 possessions because the D could not get GT off the field

Miami 7 drives
2 Punts

So out of 7 possesions the offense had 4 drives of over 70 yards then got the ball inside GT 15 yard line. We also averaged 7.6 yards per play which is really good.

GT 7 drives
4 scores all TD
-a 10 play 5:30 minutes drive they resulted in a punt with about 30 seconds left in the 1st half. This is important cause GT got the ball first in the second half
-a 9 play drive that took the game down from 9 minutes to 3:30 minutes in a two possession game 28-17 at the time

they had a minimum of two first downs EVERY drive, every possession took at least 5 minutes except its first TD which was 8 plays 62 yards and only took 4:31

So Miami offense was 3 plays away from a perfect game yet its not the defensive fault for getting its **** pushed in for 70 striaght plays and only one tackle for a loss??????

If a normal amount of possesions would have occured the game would have been 42-31 just like the Nebraska game. In fact the games drives MIRROR each other except for the fact their was less of them cause GT slowed down the pace of the game.

Amen brother, the O is the least of the problems.

Absolutely, the offense is rocking. The defense has good enough athletes to slow down teams like GT.

Miami 7 drives
2 Punts

GT 7 drives
4 scores all TD

I literally believe you're speaking to no one.

I mean seriously, several defenses can provide seven possessions in the first quarter against a run only team.

Absolutely, the offense is rocking. The defense has good enough athletes to slow down teams like GT.

22% on third downs. Worst in the country. This thread is a fail, even though I don't solely blame the offense for the loss to GT. Force me to assign random/arbitrary percentages, I'd say 55% on the defense, 35% on the offense, 10% on special teams...and 100% on Al Golden. There's blame to go around for everyone.

Besides, by the logic of this thread, if the defense stops them on 2 of those 3rd downs and doesn't get burned by the fake punt, then 3 plays would've made a big difference there, too. The logic is flawed. The whole team sucked, and the coaches didn't do their job, across the board.

Last edited:
Advertisement

22% on third downs. Worst in the country. This thread is a fail, even though I don't solely blame the offense for the loss to GT. Force me to assign random/arbitrary percentages, I'd say 55% on the defense, 35% on the offense, 10% on special teams...and 100% on Al Golden. There's blame to go around for everyone.

Besides, by the logic of this thread, if the defense stops them on 2 of those 3rd downs and doesn't get burned by the fake punt, then 3 plays would've made a big difference there, too. The logic is flawed. The whole team sucked, and the coaches didn't do their job, across the board.

I agree with your assessment. To me the ideal solution is to fire Golden but if BOT refuse to let him go. If they force him to let staff go I prefer them to makes changes on the defensive side over the offense side.

I agree with your assessment. To me the ideal solution is to fire Golden but if BOT refuse to let him go. If they force him to let staff go I prefer them to makes changes on the defensive side over the offense side.

Scapegoating D'Onofrio for running Golden's defense doesn't do any good. If this thing doesn't work, they all need to go. I'll give Golden credit for sticking by his guy (assuming he continues to do so in the future). Too often, incompetent head coaches ditch assistants to save their own asses (Coker). If Golden goes down with D'Onofrio, I'd respect him for that at least.

Scapegoating D'Onofrio for running Golden's defense doesn't do any good. If this thing doesn't work, they all need to go. I'll give Golden credit for sticking by his guy (assuming he continues to do so in the future). Too often, incompetent head coaches ditch assistants to save their own asses (Coker). If Golden goes down with D'Onofrio, I'd respect him for that at least.

Your preaching to the choir. However I have no clue if the higher up of UM think or feel the same way.

Quick question would you have preferred Golden to ditch D'Onofrio after the 2012 season when we field our worst D ever and we would be in year 2 of a new system?

Last edited:
Anyone who blames the offense for the defense being horrible is a fool.

Anyone who thinks the offense is not a problem of it's own is equally a fool.

Advertisement

The third down conversation rate has been horrible. And can't be excused.

Difference is the offense other then UL game the O has been good on first and second down since then. Where the D against GT and NEB was bad on all 3 downs. The reason why defense can't stop teams on 3rd down is cause so many of them are third and short. Even good defenses yield many first downs when its less then 3 yards to go.

Maybe I just have lower expectations of the offense with a true freshman QB and 2nd year OC then a defense with many returning starters and 9th year DC. One seems to be improving and the other does not. Also I just hate always blaming the offense cause of his love of affair with his best friend.

Your preaching to the choir. However I have no clue if the higher up of UM think or feel the same way.

Quick question would you have preferred Golden to ditch D'Onofrio after the 2012 season when we field our worst D ever and we would be in year 2 of a new system?

In hindsight, yeah, probably. At the time though, and I still believe this to some extent, there was a severe lack of talent, depth, and experience on that defense. I don't think any coach could've turned that group into a decent defense. That explanation doesn't fly now, and we're left with coaching failure.

The third down conversation rate has been horrible. And can't be excused.

Difference is the offense other then UL game the O has been good on first and second down since then. Where the D against GT and NEB was bad on all 3 downs. The reason why defense can't stop teams on 3rd down is cause so many of them are third and short. Even good defenses yield many first downs when its less then 3 yards to go.

Maybe I just have lower expectations of the offense with a true freshman QB and 2nd year OC then a defense with many returning starters and 9th year DC. One seems to be improving and the other does not. Also I just hate always blaming the offense cause of his love of affair with his best friend.

The offense is not improving. It's getting worse...and has a lot of experience and talent. Kaaya is going to be awesome, but Coley did him and the team a huge disservice by not pounding the rock against GT and taking a lot of the pressure off Kaaya.

One hand washes the other that's how it all works the offense should've ran the ball a lot more and beat GT in its own game the time of possession destroyed our defense they were so gassed it was hard to watch I remember the commentators talking about Paul Johnson goes about the game like a game of chess so I believe his whole game plan was Miami is going to score fast and we'll just keep running the ball on them and tire them out and place the pressure on the Miami offense to score on every drive since there defense won't ever stop our offense.... The fault falls solely on Al golden and his staff for being brutes

Advertisement

Coley at least has tried deferent things on offense. The O has changed from week 1. I am not comparing Coley to Bill Walsh but the DC is an abomination and special teams have been terrible. The OL was a sieve in game 1 and it has gotten better. The DC is sinking the whole team.

Coley at least has tried deferent things on offense. The O has changed from week 1. I am not comparing Coley to Bill Walsh but the DC is an abomination and special teams have been terrible. The OL was a sieve in game 1 and it has gotten better. The DC is sinking the whole team.

No, failure in all 3 phases is sinking the team. D'Onofrio sucking doesn't have anything to do with lousy special teams and the country's worst 3rd down conversion rate. We all know that the DC sucks, but you're giving him far too much blame for the failures of the entire coaching staff, including Coley. Besides, D'Onofrio is running the defense that Golden wants him to run.

Advertisement
Back