Thompson

Ibisuponatime

Freshman
Premium
Pulled off an impressive feat today....

Miami-Dade County Athlete of the Year....for the 3rd time.... First kid to do that.

Advertisement
Congrats to Thompson...This is a sign that Golden is a good talent evaluator. When Golden was taking commitments from guys like Thompson, Davis, Dortch, Terry etc early in the recruiting process a lot of folks were like they not "miami caliber", "their not 4 and 5*". Now at the end of the season their All-County players, many first team in the respective classification. The man know what he's doing.

Congrats to Thompson...This is a sign that Golden is a good talent evaluator. When Golden was taking commitments from guys like Thompson, Davis, Dortch, Terry etc early in the recruiting process a lot of folks were like they not "miami caliber", "their not 4 and 5*". Now at the end of the season their All-County players, many first team in the respective classification. The man know what he's doing.

Lol...I don't think it's very hard to find the sophomore Miami-Dade athlete of the year.

I'm not saying Golden isn't good, but Thompson is an awful example. He was a 2 time athlete of the year when he committed.

Thanks, sub. Just keep that positive reinforcement coming. It's refreshing, it's uplifting, and surprisingly intuitive.

And if you think of anything else, we're all anxious to hear it.

Advertisement

Lol...I don't think it's very hard to find the sophomore Miami-Dade athlete of the year.

I'm not saying Golden isn't good, but Thompson is an awful example. He was a 2 time athlete of the year when he committed.

Hey Sub, the Herald doesn't hand out an award for each grade in high school. Thompson beat out seniors when he was a sophomore.

Hey Sub, the Herald doesn't hand out an award for each grade in high school. Thompson beat out seniors when he was a sophomore.

I think that's his point. The guy was athlete of the year as a sophomore. He's going to be on everyone's radar even if they don't end up thinking he'll be great. Add in that he won as a JR too and he's not a find. Everyone is checking him out at that point.

Thompson has a real good arm,good footwork,somewhat quick release(quicker than jacory),and can run the football too.Great kid,congrats to a future Cane!

Yeah...nobody in the state had heard of Thompson when he committed to Miami.

:ohlord:

Advertisement
I don't think his potential and talent ever really came into question. Height concerns? Yes. The real talk was about whether or not this kid would even suit up for UM. Glad to see he's more than likely coming and enrolling.

I think that's his point. The guy was athlete of the year as a sophomore. He's going to be on everyone's radar even if they don't end up thinking he'll be great. Add in that he won as a JR too and he's not a find. Everyone is checking him out at that point.

Exactly.

So...which one of U slappers have any inside info as to what his plan is in terms of just not enrolling here, but time/years he wants to spend @ the U?

Advertisement
So...which one of U slappers have any inside info as to what his plan is in terms of just not enrolling here, but time/years he wants to spend @ the U?
if enrolls......he cant go to MLB for at least 3 years

Really? Is that an agreement that MLB has with the NCAA or something?
if kids get drafted out of HS and dont sign......they arent eligible for the draft again until they complete their junior year or turn 21

so if he enrolls......hes here for at least 3 years

Last edited:
Advertisement

if kids get drafted out of HS and dont sign......they arent eligible for the draft again until they complete their junior year or turn 21

I understand the rule, just trying to figure out the logic behind it. I know that the NBA and NFL have time limited eligibility, but that is not conditioned on whether you enroll in college or not. It seems odd to me that one 19 year old kid can enter the draft b/c he chose not to go to college whereas another one can't b/c he did go to college. Or that one year you can be draft eligible, but then enroll in college and not be draft eligible for the next 3 years. If they are doing this to protect colleges, why not make the rule 4 years or have graduated?

I understand the rule, just trying to figure out the logic behind it. I know that the NBA and NFL have time limited eligibility, but that is not conditioned on whether you enroll in college or not. It seems odd to me that one 19 year old kid can enter the draft b/c he chose not to go to college whereas another one can't b/c he did go to college. Or that one year you can be draft eligible, but then enroll in college and not be draft eligible for the next 3 years. If they are doing this to protect colleges, why not make the rule 4 years or have graduated?
thats no different than the NFLs 3 years out of HS rule

i dont know why they made that the eligibility rule......but they did

One reason might be that unlike basketball and football, baseball has a well developed minor league system with a very long history of developing players. Basically, baseball gives a kid out of high school the choice of developing in the minors or in college. And, yes, the restriction after he chooses to go to college protects the colleges.

Advertisement
Back