This was easily Miami's worst season since the 70's

Miami Nights

Junior
After considering 1997 and 2007, 2 of the three season in which Miami has suffer'd a losing season, I came to the conclusion that the 2014 season is miami worst season since the 70's.

Miami was in year 4 of an experinced coach, did a pretty decent job of accumulating talent relative to the teams faced yet failed to win its division. Miami not only didn't win the division they finished last. This despite having 10 players with draftable grades..second only to I state rival and defending champ fsu.

Last place finsih in very weak coastal despite having

macky finalist
Butkus runner up
All time leading rusher in school history
Acc frosh qb of the year who led the acc in td's and comp% iirc
Top 14 defense ( lmao)
Wr who led the nation in ypc
Out recruiting fellow division teams ( as determined by recruit rankings) by a decent margin

Imo this staff has produced....

The two worst defenses in school history
The worst season since the 70's
The worst loss in school history. ( Boston college 2011)

Advertisement
I agree with you on almost all of that, but why do you say that the BC loss in 2011 was worse than the last game in the Orange Bowl?

The win/loss total in relation to the talent on the team is startling.

Most disappointing season in a very long time.

Advertisement
It's the worst season relative to what the expectations were and how good the talent on the team was. But I'm not sure about it being worse than 2007 overall. The 48-0 UVa loss was possibly the worst loss in UM history. We also got demolished by Oklahoma and Virginia Tech that year.

I agree. as one who attended most of the games in the early and mid seventies, I would have to say as incompetent as the offensive talent and coaching was, those teams played with more heart, especially on the defensive side. I'd take any of those defenses back then compared to the garbage I've seen over the last few years.

I agree with you on almost all of that, but why do you say that the BC loss in 2011 was worse than the last game in the Orange Bowl?

Boston college is miami worst loss in modern history. Not only was Boston college 3-8 coming into the game they had amassed so many Injuries during the season that they actually loss more starts due to Injury/ suspension than miami did. Not only did miami lose to a 3-8 team, they lost to a handicapped 3-8 team.

Miami had already announced it was giving up its bowl game that season so this was suppose to be Miami's bowl game. Miami was also at full strength. All the players who were suspended were back. Miami had a lot of players who made NFL teams on this roster ( tommy streeter, Laron Byrd, Travis Benjamin, allen Hurns, Armstrong, spence, forston, Ojomo, McGee, miller, James , Olivier Vernon , brandon Linder etc). Vs a handicapped Boston college team with frosh filling in for injured guys (db manny asprilla dt Dominic appiah, ss spencer rostinano((true)) etc etc.). It's 2014 who are these guys?

It's looks worse than it did then now. Go back and look at some of the players Boston college jad to play. I don't think they're even on the team any longer. Btw, bc sucked worse the next year so you k ow those back ups weren't any good. The dam starters sucked minus Luke Kuechly and a couple other guys that were solid.

Bad loss to a handicapped 3-8 team.

Advertisement
It's the worst season relative to what the expectations were and how good the talent on the team was. But I'm not sure about it being worse than 2007 overall. The 48-0 UVa loss was possibly the worst loss in UM history. We also got demolished by Oklahoma and Virginia Tech that year.

The 2007 team had a punter practicing at wr in the spring game and started a 245 dt. On top of that they had a coach who had no bizness being a coach. I actually expected worse...and no I don't agree that the Orange bowl loss was the worse. The team sucked and had zero expectations. Just so happen they decided to tear the Orange bowl down that year.

If you play not to lose, you lose in the end deservedly so. Maybe someone can explain this to Mr. Deserve Victiory.

Advertisement
You know it's strange times in Canes-land when you find yourself "liking" all of MiamiNights' posts

Agreed 100% with the OP.

The 2007 team had a punter practicing at wr in the spring game and started a 245 dt. On top of that they had a coach who had no bizness being a coach. I actually expected worse...and no I don't agree that the Orange bowl loss was the worse. The team sucked and had zero expectations. Just so happen they decided to tear the Orange bowl down that year.

That's my point, Nites. And why I said 2014 was the worst season relative to the expectations and talent that we had. It's easily a more disappointing and unexcusable season than 2007, but that doesn't mean the 2007 team didn't produce worse results. In 2007, we lost by 48 (worst home shutout loss in UM history), 38, and 30. Three 30+ point losses. Including the worst home shutout loss in UM history. Since that year, we've only lost by more than 30 twice (both in 2012).

That's my point, Nites. And why I said 2014 was the worst season relative to the expectations and talent that we had. It's easily a more disappointing and unexcusable season than 2007, but that doesn't mean the 2007 team didn't produce worse results. In 2007, we lost by 48 (worst home shutout loss in UM history), 38, and 30. Three 30+ point losses. Including the worst home shutout loss in UM history. Since that year, we've only lost by more than 30 twice (both in 2012).

they produced worse results in a couple games on the scoreboard but it was expected. The team sucked. **** they had a punter player wr in Spring for crying out loud. just so happened they decided to **** down the Orange bowl that year. I don"t put much stock into the fact that the last game in the Orange bowl had a sorry *** miami team playing in it.

This team should have easily won a pathetic coastal division but finished dead last losing 4 straight to end the year. This is goldens 4th year and he's losing to 6 loss teams, or teams .500 or worse despite having ample talent. This is far worse than 2007 who had a wr playing punter.

Last edited:
Advertisement

they produced worse results in a couple games on the scoreboard but it was expected. The team sucked. **** they had a punter player wr in Spring for crying out loud. just so happened they decided to **** down the Orange bowl that year. I don"t put much stock into the fact that the last game in the Orange bowl had a sorry *** miami team playing in it.

This team should have easily won a pathetic coastal division but finished dead last losing 4 straight to end the year. This is goldens 4th year and he's losing to 6 loss teams, or teams .500 or worse despite having ample talent. This is far worse than 2007 who had a wr playing punter.

What are you even trying to argue at this point?

Advertisement
Back