DT Pierre - Moten
DT Heurtelou - Jenkins
DE Chickillo - Thomas

SLB Armbrister - McCord
MLB Perryman - Young
WLB Kirby - Grace

CB Gunter/Elder/Howard/Burns/Crawford

S Bush/Crawford/Carter/Fentress

I'm sure we'll continue to see 5, maybe 6 men in the box while Duke continually stuffs the ball down our throat and out through our ******.

Advertisement
been a bit disappointed in bush, he made some stellar plays his freshman year, hasn't looked the same since that surgery

Advertisement
We'll see more of this kind of "goal line" defense...

auxje9.jpg

The disrespect u give A CRAWFORD is unreal if anything him and elder along with Dallas and Bush the other DB's need to get they **** right before thinking of touching the field

The disrespect u give A CRAWFORD is unreal if anything him and elder along with Dallas and Bush the other DB's need to get they **** right before thinking of touching the field

Doesn't really matter who they throw out there at CB. They're not asked to do anything besides backpedal out of the stadium and play like their hands are tied behind their back.

Advertisement
Duke against Miami in 2013:

52 rushes, 358 yards

24 passes, 185 yards

this should be the depth chart:

WLB- no deeper than 3 yds off the line
MLB- 3 yds
SLB- 3 yds
SS-5-7
FS-5-7
CB's-1-3 yds

Advertisement
Depth Chart is irrelevant. It's how they are used or aren't used that matters and that's where we fail over and over

DE Kamalu - Harris
DT Pierre - Moten
DT Heurtelou - Jenkins
DE Chickillo - Thomas

SLB Armbrister - McCord
MLB Perryman - Young
WLB Kirby - Grace

CB Gunter/Elder/Howard/Burns/Crawford

S Bush/Crawford/Carter/Fentress

I'm sure we'll continue to see 5, maybe 6 men in the box while Duke continually stuffs the ball down our throat and out through our ******.

I would love to see that. The 3-man front makes me sick. Too many natural cavities against a running team, particularly when the ends aren't hybrid bulls who can shove the tackle backwards and disengage. When I watched the Chiefs on Sunday it was laughable to see Allen Bailey's frame compared to the guys we are using on the edge.

Kamulu has enough size and skill to play end in either a 3 or 4 man front. Not a special player but he's active and athletic with a mean streak. Frankly, I think the coaching staff is a little bit scared of using him full time because he tends to freelance more than the other guys. From late third quarter against Nebraska he was on the field quite a bit, in fact playing end on both sides. Instead of arm wrestling Kamulu often likes to slant and shed. He ran himself out of one play. As soon as I saw that I chuckled and said now I know why he's not a starter. D'Onofrio prefers all his passive dominoes in place.

McCord should be an attacking outside linebacker in a 4 man front. In the 4th quarter last week it was comical when we asked him to put his hand on the ground more often than typical and pretend to be a true defensive end. Nebraska is not a powerhouse but they still have big tough linemen and a coaching staff that will exploit manpower advantage. We deserved our fate.

Duke ran the ball more than 50 times against us last season. That's not their norm at all. They've only had one other game in more than 6 seasons with 50+ rushes. Recently they are a 40 rush per game team. That's where we should be, IMO. At 40 rushes you establish a physical presence with opportunity to adjust upward if the rush defense is vulnerable, but also enough balance to keep the opponent guessing and all of your receivers energized and involved. Last season Duke didn't sense the kill until late third quarter and into the fourth. They ran it at us relentlessly. At home and with more rugged defensive tackles, I doubt we'll be as pathetic against the run this time. Bottom line a home game against Duke is not remotely the negative line of scrimmage spot as a roader against Nebraska.

That being said, I still don't fully understand the 7 point favoritism. There is actually still a push on the Canes at -7. Many major joints have moved the juice to -7 -115 or -120 instead of the typical -110. That means money on Miami at -7 but the joints are hesitant to move to -7.5.

Advertisement
been a bit disappointed in bush, he made some stellar plays his freshman year, hasn't looked the same since that surgery

He is starting too close to the line of scrimmage, needs to start further back to recapture his game.

Advertisement
Back