This Program wont take the next step until..

caneaddict

Senior
Manny starts penalizing bonehead penalties and taking players that commit them out..
First drive of the spring game was another manny bye week display with several bonehead offsides and procedural penalties. But the players that commit them stay in with no repurcussions, this will never end until players in this program know that if you are a bonehead youre gonna sit and give the guy behind you the opportunity to take your job.. I expect another season of many penalties there is just no urgency to correct it

Advertisement
We also need the coaches to prepare the players better. Too often we come out flat, even in games we won like VT or NC State where we gave up the first TD. It’d be huge if we scored the first TD against Bama.
of course they come out flat, theres no threat to lose your job, you can commit penalties and drop passes and be a dumbasss and there zero threat of coming off the field

Manny starts penalizing bonehead penalties and taking players that commit them out..
First drive of the spring game was another manny bye week display with several bonehead offsides and procedural penalties. But the players that commit them stay in with no repurcussions, this will never end until players in this program know that if you are a bonehead youre gonna sit and give the guy behind you the opportunity to take your job.. I expect another season of many penalties there is just no urgency to correct it
It's a spring game....

There was no way that this thread title was gonna be correct unless it ended with some variation of "getting better players". LSU won their national title being penalized 107th worst in the country. The team they played(Clemson) was 28th worst. Almost opposite ends of the penalty spectrum. So no, losing playing time for committing penalties isn't anywhere near the next step. Being good enough to overcome penalties because of the talent on your roster is far more important.

The last time we won a major bowl game was the 2003 season that ended with 2004 Orange Bowl and we were 112th in penalties. I don't think there has been a great Miami team since I've been alive that wasn't awful with penalties.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There was no way that this thread title was gonna be correct unless it ended with some variation of "getting better players". LSU won their national title being penalized 107th worst in the country. The team they played(Clemson) was 28th worst. Almost opposite ends of the penalty spectrum. So no, losing playing time for committing penalties isn't anywhere near the next step. Being good enough to overcome penalties because of the talent on your roster is far more important.

The last time we won a major bowl game. The 2004 Orange Bowl we were 112th in penalties. I don't think there has been a great Miami team since I've been alive that wasn't awful with penalties.
You're asking too much.
It is much easier task to hold people accountable than being good enough to make mistake after mistake and and still win. Especially when hiring a HC with no experience who is still learning on the job.

i actually thought it was due to excitement as it calmed down as the game wore on ... that being said, we looked competent and coached ... offense showed potential, as well as defense

Lol

Advertisement
Easier to do when you have depth. If there is a big drop off maybe you tolerate the bone head plays a bit more.

484AFC5E-C964-4F04-AE47-A6189387B852.gif

Some here obviously not around for the Cotton bowl game in 1991 against Texas. Canes had about 200 yards in penalties and stilled demolished them. A lot of our better teams were heavily penalized

Advertisement
Some here obviously not around for the Cotton bowl game in 1991 against Texas. Canes had about 200 yards in penalties and stilled demolished them. A lot of our better teams were heavily penalized
But you are forgetting the most important thing though. Those teams were some of the very best in college football. They had SWAGGER.
Deserved confidence. Mediocre teams shouldn't make penalties. PERIOD.

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure that over the next few months the team will dwell on those stupid penalties even more than our "fans".

Garcia, Restrepo, And K Smith will put those concerns to rest.

Advertisement
Back