this Oline will always limit this offense...

k9cane

Senior
but shotgun spread, passing on early downs( quick stuff) and passing to eventually set up the run, should be it's base philosophy/system

Again, it's not perfect but it's the best(and perhaps only) shot they really have

Kaaya was really good today and I think he got the message he has to make plays with his feet at certain points

Advertisement
Run just enough. On one play at 3 yard line when he handed off he could have walked in on his hands if he kept the ball

OL can not open up running lanes to save their lives. It's a below average group...period.

OL can not open up running lanes to save their lives. It's a below average group...period.
Noticed that as well. Good thing we didn't keep trying to do something that wasn't going to work all game

Advertisement
Kaaya appears to be a guy that needs to throw and throw to get the rhythm and accuracy down. You can't run a run play then a pass play then a run play and so on and expect him to be at his best.

And on power running he has tried to challenge this OL but they keep failing the tests. We ran power twice on the goal line and got stuffed twice then had to admit defeat and go for an alley oop pass for a TD. He can't have any confidence in this OL to get 1 yard against a quality DL.

It's maddening but I think Richt has finally tailored his desires for what he wants to do to what this O is capable of doing and is maxing out our O talent.

Plus, he's identified guys he wants to feature and is going to them over and voer: Richards and Njouku in particular. Good stuff.

I wish this had happened four games ago but I am glad to see it now.

On the one hand it speaks well of Richt to have done it but not well in that it took this long.

Well it is what it is at this point. The offense looked good yesterday in a spread look and we used our play makers effectively. Because of the line issues we have to pass to set up the run. It's not ideal but we can at least keep teams honest we'll be fine. Also helps Kaaya played his best game of the season by far.

What's troublesome about the run game though is in the redzone and short yardage situations. It's so much easier to score td's when you can run the ball. Better defenses will not give up the passing plays Pitt did in the redone. It's a nice step in the right direction overall but still let's see how the rest of the games play out.

This is why I give Richt a pass. He's a coach who desperately wants to run the ball, and this unit is god awful at creating lanes.

I give hi credit for finally adjusting his play calling. I think it started at halftime of ND. Richt has ditched trying to establish a run game.

The running game is abysmal. The only time we generate positive yards is when Yearby or Walton have a nice cut and make a guy miss. The lineman never get to the second level which allows the opposing teams linebackers to eat them alive. This incoming recruiting class is crucial for this team, we need to sign 3-4 absolute studs who can compete for early playing time or else next year will be similar in results. In regards to the passing game, when Kaaya holds the ball for more than 3 seconds then he's doomed. I think he finally realized yesterday that he needs to get rid of the ball quickly or throw it away if he doesn't see anybody open.

Advertisement
I think that we all agree the OL has been terrible. I think everyone has hoped that bringing in several studs would fix the problem next season. It won't fix it completely. It will certainly help, maybe a lot. We have several bodies on the OL. Bottom line is we cant flip them all. Coaching and strength and conditioning will be required. We HAVE to develop a few kids that we think are garbage right now. Maybe in some fantasy reality five brand new starters emerge and dominate. Not in reality though. I really hope that between 3-5 signees, the Lsuntransfer Brown, a position change on the OL, and developing kids we can minimize the weakness we have at OL.

Was a breathe of fresh air seeing us spread pitt out and let kaaya get the ball out early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The alarming thing is that this realization came to Richt so long into the season. And this is a style he helped pioneer in the early-to-mid 90's at FSU. It's not like this style of offense is foreign to him

Advertisement
The alarming thing is that this realization came to Richt so long into the season. And this is a style he helped pioneer in the early-to-mid 90's at FSU. It's not like this style of offense is foreign to him

Richts been a coach for a long time and I'm sure wanted to stick with his system, but he finally realized that "trusting the process" wasn't going to fix things this year. At least he showed a willingness to change after four disappointing performances (and yet still were in position to win three or those four) . The other guy refused to change for four years.

Advertisement
Back