The Way I See Things....... 09-03

xballer52

Recruit
FAU ANALYSIS
The FAU game did little to provide a measurement for this year's Canes team. Miami could have won by 50, and I would still be reluctant to provide any in depth analysis of the game or offer any insight into what I believe will be the strengths and weakneses of this Canes team. From my perspective, there were two goals that Miami had to accomplish against FAU:
1.Win, 2.Stay Healthy. Thankfully, we accomplished both. Without breaking down receiving routes, defensive schemes, and offensive line footwork, I will provide a few general observations and thoughts:

My primary criticism of last year's team appears to be the most improved aspect of this year's team, the defensive line. I was criticized on here for saying that many of the defensive lineman on the team last year had no business putting on a helmet with the "U" on it. At the time I cited an observable lack of "explosion" from many of the lineman that we fielded, and was told that I was being unfair to some of the underclassman. I was vindicated as two of the ones I spoke of left the team this off-season. In my opinion, have the muscle fibers that allow one to fire out of a stance is more important than strength, weight, etc. It's what allowed a 265lb Matt Walters to start on the 2001 National Championship team, and why the strongest person on our defensive line will never make one impact play in a meaningful game in his career. Anyway, for the most part our defensive line got push at the line of scrimmmage, and looked much quicker and athletic then they did at any time last year. I would expect our linebackers and defensive backs to look much improved as a result.

It appeared that our alignment confusion than there was last year.

The same can be said for our defense; although FAU didn't really show multiple sets like Florida will.

We will continue to see the quick throws out to the WR's. This was a staple of FSU's offense the last few years and I fully anticipate it becoming a play we become extremely familiar with, particularly if Morris has been given the ability to option to it depending upon defensive alignment.

Very Butch Davis like starting the game off with a Delay of Game penalty.

A capable 2nd back HAS to emerge. Was not impressed with what I saw against FAU; however, withholding judgement.

UF Game

Sucks that this is a 12:00 noon game; however, that what happens after years of mediocrity. We have to EARN the right to play in prime-time. The over/under on the number of people who pass out prior to the game and never make it to into the stadium is 500. Hopefully, since the gates open at 6:00 a.m., those who have passed out due to drinking will do so early, and have time to come to prior to the start game.

In previous years, the TE position has been a staple of the UF offense. With Tre Burton and Jordan Reed manning the position the last few of years, they had a real threat. There is no playmaker of that caliber on this year's team; however, we've had a history of making pedestrian TE's look like All-Americans. I fully expect out players to be coached up on the the misdirection pass/throw options and respond accordingly. The couple of times FAU tried it, we reacted well to the play-fake, staying home and not overcommitting to the running back.

Kacy Rogers at safety still scares the heck out of me. Yes, he had a caused fumble on a big hit on the QB; however, if I will withold judgement until I see that his instincts in the passing game have improved. I saw him in the off-season, and he has bulked up tremendously, which will help him in the running game. I still have a difficult time ridding myself of the image of him mistiming his jump, misplaying the ball, and basically looking like a retarded kid playing dodge ball against FSU last year.

I anticipate seeing Duke Johnson like up at multiple positions against UF. Something I don't think we showed against FAU.

I no longer go into these games EXPECTING TO WIN. I've been let down too many times the last several years to fall into that trap again. The best I can do is say that I think it will be a good game, with the game being decided in the 4th quarter; hopefully in our favor.

Good try with the "White Out" theme; however, that only works when entire stadium is filled with fans from the home team. Not the same effect when 30-40% of the stadium are decked out in gear of the opponent. Been to a few games where there was an "Orange Out" of 35,000 to 40,000; however, those were the empty orange seats.

Random Thoughts

Thank goodness it's football season, and my TV is no longer polluted with the WNBA or Women's College World Series. I can't take the constant shrill yelling throughout game play by the chicks. Why women feel it neccessary to shout incessesantly during games is beyond me, but ruins whatever small viewing pleasure there would be in watching dykes play sports.

South Carolina is going to be the most annoying team in football to watch this year, with the Clowney Cam. Not since Tim Tebow has ESPN spent so much time talking about one player. Hopefully when they realize he has no interest in playing this year and is just trying to avoid injury, the ESPN hype machine will cease. They they move on to the FSU QB.

I know people want to abolish the NCAA, and being a UM fan, it is understandeable; however, for those who want to abolish the NCAA for the purposes of allowing players to be paid or financaily benefit from their name or likeness are misguided. All this would do would further increase the recruiting and talent disparity between the Alabama's, Ohio State's, Michigans, Florida's (basically the entire SEC save for Vanderbilt and Kentucky) and the schools with smaller fan bases that are already trying to play catch-up. The NCAA can't pay football players, because the NCAA wouldn't be limited to just football, they would have to pay players from all sports, including women's sports, which amount to some 400,000 NCAA athletes. At $1,000 per player, that amounts to $400 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR! If you limit the payment of players to what they can generate from jersey sales, again advantage SEC. They could sell 25,000 jerseys of every player on the team and GUARANTEE high school recruits that they'll sell their jerseys in the book store. You better believe, there are boosters who would buy 10,000 jerseys of the back-up offensive tackle to ensure they were being paid.

My problem with the NCAA is not the rules; but the perceived selective enforcement of established rules. For the NCAA to in state that they were "closing the book" on the Johnny Manziel case after a 2 week investigation should **** off every insitution that has been the subject of a NCAA investigation.

What the solution is, I don't know........put paying players or allowing them to captilize on their name is not the solution. Doing so only leads to futher inequality amongst the institutions.

Oh What the Heck.....Miami 27 Florida 24

Advertisement
Always enjoy reading your posts X, my only disagreement is that I see a very low scoring game.

FAU ANALYSIS
The FAU game did little to provide a measurement for this year's Canes team. Miami could have won by 50, and I would still be reluctant to provide any in depth analysis of the game or offer any insight into what I believe will be the strengths and weakneses of this Canes team. From my perspective, there were two goals that Miami had to accomplish against FAU:
1.Win, 2.Stay Healthy. Thankfully, we accomplished both. Without breaking down receiving routes, defensive schemes, and offensive line footwork, I will provide a few general observations and thoughts:

My primary criticism of last year's team appears to be the most improved aspect of this year's team, the defensive line. I was criticized on here for saying that many of the defensive lineman on the team last year had no business putting on a helmet with the "U" on it. At the time I cited an observable lack of "explosion" from many of the lineman that we fielded, and was told that I was being unfair to some of the underclassman. I was vindicated as two of the ones I spoke of left the team this off-season. In my opinion, have the muscle fibers that allow one to fire out of a stance is more important than strength, weight, etc. It's what allowed a 265lb Matt Walters to start on the 2001 National Championship team, and why the strongest person on our defensive line will never make one impact play in a meaningful game in his career. Anyway, for the most part our defensive line got push at the line of scrimmmage, and looked much quicker and athletic then they did at any time last year. I would expect our linebackers and defensive backs to look much improved as a result.

It appeared that our alignment confusion than there was last year.

The same can be said for our defense; although FAU didn't really show multiple sets like Florida will.

We will continue to see the quick throws out to the WR's. This was a staple of FSU's offense the last few years and I fully anticipate it becoming a play we become extremely familiar with, particularly if Morris has been given the ability to option to it depending upon defensive alignment.

Very Butch Davis like starting the game off with a Delay of Game penalty.

A capable 2nd back HAS to emerge. Was not impressed with what I saw against FAU; however, withholding judgement.

UF Game

Sucks that this is a 12:00 noon game; however, that what happens after years of mediocrity. We have to EARN the right to play in prime-time. The over/under on the number of people who pass out prior to the game and never make it to into the stadium is 500. Hopefully, since the gates open at 6:00 a.m., those who have passed out due to drinking will do so early, and have time to come to prior to the start game.

In previous years, the TE position has been a staple of the UF offense. With Tre Burton and Jordan Reed manning the position the last few of years, they had a real threat. There is no playmaker of that caliber on this year's team; however, we've had a history of making pedestrian TE's look like All-Americans. I fully expect out players to be coached up on the the misdirection pass/throw options and respond accordingly. The couple of times FAU tried it, we reacted well to the play-fake, staying home and not overcommitting to the running back.

Kacy Rogers at safety still scares the heck out of me. Yes, he had a caused fumble on a big hit on the QB; however, if I will withold judgement until I see that his instincts in the passing game have improved. I saw him in the off-season, and he has bulked up tremendously, which will help him in the running game. I still have a difficult time ridding myself of the image of him mistiming his jump, misplaying the ball, and basically looking like a retarded kid playing dodge ball against FSU last year.

I anticipate seeing Duke Johnson like up at multiple positions against UF. Something I don't think we showed against FAU.

I no longer go into these games EXPECTING TO WIN. I've been let down too many times the last several years to fall into that trap again. The best I can do is say that I think it will be a good game, with the game being decided in the 4th quarter; hopefully in our favor.

Good try with the "White Out" theme; however, that only works when entire stadium is filled with fans from the home team. Not the same effect when 30-40% of the stadium are decked out in gear of the opponent. Been to a few games where there was an "Orange Out" of 35,000 to 40,000; however, those were the empty orange seats.

Random Thoughts

Thank goodness it's football season, and my TV is no longer polluted with the WNBA or Women's College World Series. I can't take the constant shrill yelling throughout game play by the chicks. Why women feel it neccessary to shout incessesantly during games is beyond me, but ruins whatever small viewing pleasure there would be in watching dykes play sports.

South Carolina is going to be the most annoying team in football to watch this year, with the Clowney Cam. Not since Tim Tebow has ESPN spent so much time talking about one player. Hopefully when they realize he has no interest in playing this year and is just trying to avoid injury, the ESPN hype machine will cease. They they move on to the FSU QB.

I know people want to abolish the NCAA, and being a UM fan, it is understandeable; however, for those who want to abolish the NCAA for the purposes of allowing players to be paid or financaily benefit from their name or likeness are misguided. All this would do would further increase the recruiting and talent disparity between the Alabama's, Ohio State's, Michigans, Florida's (basically the entire SEC save for Vanderbilt and Kentucky) and the schools with smaller fan bases that are already trying to play catch-up. The NCAA can't pay football players, because the NCAA wouldn't be limited to just football, they would have to pay players from all sports, including women's sports, which amount to some 400,000 NCAA athletes. At $1,000 per player, that amounts to $400 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR! If you limit the payment of players to what they can generate from jersey sales, again advantage SEC. They could sell 25,000 jerseys of every player on the team and GUARANTEE high school recruits that they'll sell their jerseys in the book store. You better believe, there are boosters who would buy 10,000 jerseys of the back-up offensive tackle to ensure they were being paid.

My problem with the NCAA is not the rules; but the perceived selective enforcement of established rules. For the NCAA to in state that they were "closing the book" on the Johnny Manziel case after a 2 week investigation should **** off every insitution that has been the subject of a NCAA investigation.

What the solution is, I don't know........put paying players or allowing them to captilize on their name is not the solution. Doing so only leads to futher inequality amongst the institutions.

Oh What the Heck.....Miami 27 Florida 24

Johnny football, maybe?!? All things $ec, maybe?!?

All I know is stacy coley owes Morris 14pts. We'll take them this Saturday...

Advertisement
Spike: It would not shock me to see a low scoring game; however, I expect each team to make some big plays. I believe our offense is better than theirs; however, I also think their defense is better.

Your concern with Rogers in the passing game doesn't concern me in this game. My reasoning is ****sickle can't throw the deep ball, doesn't read D's well and won't have time to go through his progressions. What will concern me is if our LBs and corners play soft and miss the quick hit passes and check downs

This section of your post bothers me. It seems your only concern is how paying players would affect the team i.e. Miami you cheer for and not the actual players themselves. It's as if you are saying "***** the players getting compensated if it will somehow make Miami less competitive in football." I think that is misguided. The concern should be that college players are not being compensated for the use of their images, etc... and are instead being pimped out by the NCAA as the players do the work and the NCAA pockets the money. It is totally un-American to not allow a person to benefit from the use of their own image, signature or whatever it may be.

I understand that you feel allowing athletes to profit would create inequality and thus somehow hurt Miami but the real concern should be with the well being of the athlete no matter what and not allowing them to be pimped out by a corrupt, parasite organization.

And those schools you listed in the SEC are already doing what you fear. They and their boosters are already paying players whatever it takes to get them to their respective school and will continue to do so no matter if players get compensated for jersey sales or not, for example.

You should have a BIG problem with the NCAA rules as well as the selective enforcement. There are so many pointless and terrible rules in the NCAA rulebook. I was just reading about a case where a football player couldn't get a game ball he was awarded until after he graduated because it might be considered and impermissible benefit. Absolutely ridiculous.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure what the correct answer is but I do know that the NCAA is a corrupt parasite on college athletics that is rife with terrible rules and needs to be blown up and re-done because they WILL NOT reform themselves. I don't know if paying players is the right answer or not but something more needs to be done for all the labor they put in that generates millions of dollars for universities. Perhaps the best way is to increase the stipends these players receive once on campus from the pittance they receive now. Anyway, just my two cents and I really enjoyed your post xballer.

UF Game

I hear right here X. The osu's, ok's, ksu's, & some fsu's of the recent era have de-sensitized me. I think we really really need a big win. This could be it. It really does have a '99 fsu/um feel. But I hate being let down over and over.

Advertisement
Agree with you about not being impressed with our 2nd running back after Duke. Alex Collins would have been huge if we could have gotten him.

"Very Butch Davis like starting the game off with a Delay of Game penalty."

Watch it again. That was a **** up by the refs.

This section of your post bothers me. It seems your only concern is how paying players would affect the team i.e. Miami you cheer for and not the actual players themselves. It's as if you are saying "***** the players getting compensated if it will somehow make Miami less competitive in football." I think that is misguided. The concern should be that college players are not being compensated for the use of their images, etc... and are instead being pimped out by the NCAA as the players do the work and the NCAA pockets the money. It is totally un-American to not allow a person to benefit from the use of their own image, signature or whatever it may be.

I understand that you feel allowing athletes to profit would create inequality and thus somehow hurt Miami but the real concern should be with the well being of the athlete no matter what and not allowing them to be pimped out by a corrupt, parasite organization.

And those schools you listed in the SEC are already doing what you fear. They and their boosters are already paying players whatever it takes to get them to their respective school and will continue to do so no matter if players get compensated for jersey sales or not, for example.

You should have a BIG problem with the NCAA rules as well as the selective enforcement. There are so many pointless and terrible rules in the NCAA rulebook. I was just reading about a case where a football player couldn't get a game ball he was awarded until after he graduated because it might be considered and impermissible benefit. Absolutely ridiculous.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure what the correct answer is but I do know that the NCAA is a corrupt parasite on college athletics that is rife with terrible rules and needs to be blown up and re-done because they WILL NOT reform themselves. I don't know if paying players is the right answer or not but something more needs to be done for all the labor they put in that generates millions of dollars for universities. Perhaps the best way is to increase the stipends these players receive once on campus from the pittance they receive now. Anyway, just my two cents and I really enjoyed your post xballer.

I understand what your saying about fairness. My fiancee was a D1 athlete and because a volunteer in her college program at church donated to athletics she couldn't even buy her lunch on a Sunday when she purchased it for the other college kids. That being said as a Miami man we would not be able to compete with the money other schools would pay. Boosters would pay $500,000 for an autograph just to get a kid to a school. THe athletes are paid in tuition, housing and meals and that is enough,

Advertisement
Excellent points all around. I think the issue of paying athletes and the NCAA exploiting their likeness are two separate but related issues. From reading what's been posted so far I think there is a consensus that the NCAA exploits athletes - they have profited off of their likeness for years to the tune of millions of dollars while athletes have NOT been able to profit off of their image/brand. The NCAA recently announced it is getting out of the pimping business.

As far as compensating athletes, I think that could be dealt with separately, and if there was a motivation on the part of all the primary stakeholders (media networks, NCAA, conferences, institutions, and athletes) it could get done in a way that did not penalize schools with smaller alumni bases like UM. However, there is ZERO motivation on the part of the NCAA or other stakeholders who are not athletes to overturn what has been a windfall for them. Short of pressure from Congress, which I don't see coming, or by some miracle explaining how the other stakeholders would get more pie from the new arrangement I just don't see this happening.

I understand what your saying about fairness. My fiancee was a D1 athlete and because a volunteer in her college program at church donated to athletics she couldn't even buy her lunch on a Sunday when she purchased it for the other college kids. That being said as a Miami man we would not be able to compete with the money other schools would pay. Boosters would pay $500,000 for an autograph just to get a kid to a school. THe athletes are paid in tuition, housing and meals and that is enough,

Great write up my man. Duke did line up in multiple spots for the FAU game. However I think we will even see him split out at WR instead of only in the slot for UF.

Advertisement
Back