The Sunny Effect

Ozone

Freshman
Premium
Got this from Rivals.

The highschool Sunny Odogwu went to St. Frances Academy in East Baltimore, actively recruits Nigeria for talent. Head coach Messay Hailemariam held a football camp out there two years ago. At that camp they found Odogwu. Also they have another kid from that he, Hailemariam sees as D-I Talent, 6-foot-3, 215-pound LB Nnamdi Egbuaba. Egbuaba is actually from the same town as Odogwu.

Out of hundreds of kids only 2-3 were taken to the US as a result of the camp.

"I loved football when I was in Africa, so when I was given the chance to come to the United States and play, I really wanted to showcase myself and show what I could do," Egbuaba said. "St. Frances allowed me to do that, and now I have a chance to take my game to the next level."

"In the United States, you just learn so much more about the game," Egbuaba said. "But I will say the talent and aggressiveness is the same in America as it is in Africa. Most kids in Africa have the talent, but they just need the chance to show it and be taught the right way."

"I actually wear No. 52 for Ray Lewis, who was my favorite player," Egbuaba said. "I loved watching him work and I picked up a lot just watching him move. I love how he plays, I love his talks to his teammates and I love his work ethic. He is an inspiration to me."

"I just talked to Sonny last week, and he's like a brother to me," Egbuaba said. "He tells me what I'm supposed to be doing and everything I need to know. He's really the only one who is in the same shoes I am and knows exactly what I'm feeling. So it's great to talk to him."

"The reason I came here was to get to the next level and help my family," Egbuaba said. "I am going to do my best to accomplish that and give my family the same opportunity I had."

There's a good chance Odogwu will help us a ton in recruiting down the road with other African athletes. Not a bad place to establish a pipeline.

Nnamdi is receiving interest from Maryland, West Virgina and others but offers will start rolling in if he has a big senior year and stays healthy. He's been in country for about 8 months.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It is good to know that all of those Sally Struthers commercials yielded a net positive.

If it weren't for my nickel a day, Sunny Odogwu would have died of the mumps at the age of 6.

Like any great southern American male in history, Golden is raiding Africa for its most physically gifted specimens to help build an empire. I'd love to see Al in action. Donning an orange and Green dashiki, walking around a campfire with his **** strung up in one of those twine harnesses, eating blood and bug soup for dinner, all to sign the next great linebacker -- Azubuike "Human Malaria" Chukwumereije. He once stalked the lion that murdered his brother for "16 moons" and returned to his village with his heart. For him, UTough is a warm up.

The only highlights I found of him are in slow motion and they are narrated by a dude with a British accent.

Advertisement
After watching Nnambi's sick highlights I would say the best thing for Him and UM would for him to go prep which will allow him to further develop just like Sunny did. Then he can come to UM as part of the 2015 Class and red shirt allowing for further development then he will be ready to play 4 yrs of ball hunting football, and will have developed the FB IQ needed to play LB.

Go Canes

Also this dude needs to come down AG's camp this summer probably 2 or 3 of them and stay with sunny. He is very raw, but atheletic as heck, and could carry another 30-40 lbs easily when put on over the next 2 years.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Like any great southern American male in history, Golden is raiding Africa for its most physically gifted specimens to help build an empire. I'd love to see Al in action. Donning an orange and Green dashiki, walking around a campfire with his **** strung up in one of those twine harnesses, eating blood and bug soup for dinner, all to sign the next great linebacker -- Azubuike "Human Malaria" Chukwumereije. He once stalked the lion that murdered his brother for "16 moons" and returned to his village with his heart. For him, UTough is a warm up.

HAAAAA!!!!HAAA!!!HAAAA!!!!HAAAA!!!!! WAIT! NO WAIT!! WAIT!!!! HAAAA!!!! HAAA!!!HAAA!!!!HAAAAA!!!! (TEARS)

LMMFAO!!!!

Advertisement
Back