The same situation again...

Canes_

Sophomore
The main issue in the end for Golden and Richt was a refusal to take a step back from their side of the ball and let someone else run the show. For both parties their stories here may have been completely different if they adjusted.

Here we are again now with Diaz and his defense (miss me with the Baker talk) which has been a vulnerability for some time now but has been overshadowed by some of the worst offenses in CFB. The stats may look decent to solid but time and again this defense has proven to be flawed and highly reliant on turnovers. You can't depend on it to shut down back up/first time starter QBs; can't depend on it to stop running QBs; can't depend on it during key situations; can't depend on it against a good team, etc. And then when you examine his recruiting/development, it gets even worse - look at LB! He's been in charge of that unit since he's gotten here.

So will this be a repeat from the past or does Diaz adjust and overhaul his defense?

Advertisement
So let's say the rumor is true that Manny took over the defense from Baker in the fourth and gave up 6 yards total. Is OP really saying that's the problem and not the previous three quarters when Baker couldn't stop them at all?

Advertisement
The main issue in the end for Golden and Richt was a refusal to take a step back from their side of the ball and let someone else run the show. For both parties their stories here may have been completely different if they adjusted.

Here we are again now with Diaz and his defense (miss me with the Baker talk) which has been a vulnerability for some time now but has been overshadowed by some of the worst offenses in CFB. The stats may look decent to solid but time and again this defense has proven to be flawed and highly reliant on turnovers. You can't depend on it to shut down back up/first time starter QBs; can't depend on it to stop running QBs; can't depend on it during key situations; can't depend on it against a good team, etc. And then when you examine his recruiting/development, it gets even worse - look at LB! He's been in charge of that unit since he's gotten here.

So will this be a repeat from the past or does Diaz adjust and overhaul his defense?

The defense hasn’t been an issue for “quite some time”.

The defense got worlds better after Golden left. Just a snapshot of it though is why I’m not sold on this staff. He cleaned house after one year on offense. Will he cut bait with other side is the question. If not, I can see the Air Force mobilizing soon.
Total Defense numbers are telling:
2015- 68th ( No’D)
2016- 20th (Manny)
2017- 38th
2018- 4th
2019- 13th (Baker era, and I believe Manny took over play calling at some point )
2020- 64th (right back where we started)

Imagine if offense was as bad as 2015, probably in the hundreds in rankings. Changes gotta be made.

Advertisement
Manny needs to move more of a CEO role and hire a big time DC and give him full control of the defense. This defense isn't going to win the ACC. Firing Baker isn't going to solve the real problem. This defense is too flawed and too easily beaten by well coached teams.

Manny needs to move more of a CEO role and hire a big time DC and give him full control of the defense. This defense isn't going to win the ACC. Firing Baker isn't going to solve the real problem. This defense is too flawed and too easily beaten by well coached teams.
Manny's defenses are susceptible to the run. This has always been the case going back to his days at Texas.

Advertisement
The defense got worlds better after Golden left. Just a snapshot of it though is why I’m not sold on this staff. He cleaned house after one year on offense. Will he cut bait with other side is the question. If not, I can see the Air Force mobilizing soon.
Total Defense numbers are telling:
2015- 68th ( No’D)
2016- 20th (Manny)
2017- 38th
2018- 4th
2019- 13th (Baker era, and I believe Manny took over play calling at some point )
2020- 64th (right back where we started)

Imagine if offense was as bad as 2015, probably in the hundreds in rankings. Changes gotta be made.
Huge eyeopener huge

Assuming this happens, how are you sure firing Baker is not going to solve the problem if you don’t even have a clue who he would hire as a DC? Makes absolutely no sense.

trickshot.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back