The Run Pass Option

OldhamA

Senior
I have a question for the football minded people on the board.

When did Richt fall in love with this concept? Were his Georgia teams destroyed by it during his time there?

The commentators (NC game) were saying that he was drawing up some RPO plays on a grease-board for them this week and talking animatedly about the possibilities this concept opens up.

As far as I'm aware Richt is famous for his Fast Break offence. He doesn't appear to have run much of that this year - although I haven't studied the tape I'm not seeing the simple passing concepts that I've seen him detail in YT videos.

I know that Richt is on record as saying he was surprised at our lack of speed. Is that why he's not calling much Fast Break offence? It would certainly seem to fit more with our QBs skillset than what he's currently running (not that I think the QB has to be a running threat to run the RPO, more that I think Kaaya is incredibly indecisive and needs easy reads).

Advertisement
I think the RPO is a .good concept..I think Kaaya is food QB...i just feel they are not good together. Brad needs to be in a spread 7 yds deep with 5 recievers down field... a RPO offense need a QB that can read the run then be quick to launch and if not can tuck and run like UNC's QB

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Kaaya is not a running dual threat QB. Look at the top teams today all can make something happen with their legs. You notice that fake handoff play action Richt runs often well take 50% out because no defense is afraid of Kaaya running for the 1st! Kaaya can't run period . Now he has a bad shoulder and 1 less tooth. I believe the personnel are not a fit for what Richt wants to do. If Kaaya is injured then get him healthy but who in the **** do you play?

I think the RPO is a .good concept..I think Kaaya is food QB...i just feel they are not good together. Brad needs to be in a spread 7 yds deep with 5 recievers down field... a RPO offense need a QB that can read the run then be quick to launch and if not can tuck and run like UNC's QB

[MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION] how is the team taking this loss cause even their body language was different yesterday, do you see a team that will let the losses affect them and almost give up or a team that will go harder and play with passion. We've seen it time and time again after losing to fsu we basically fold as a team, hopefully adjustments are made and this team can show that the future is bright.

You don't have to a running QB to make it successful but you do need a o line that can open holes from time to time.

Advertisement
Again, i agree with @UKOWWHAT, kaaya has to keep 1 out of every 5 and get at least 2 or 3 yards to keep the DL honest....

A stacked box, man defense and a QB who WONT run are the downfall

That's because teams have figured out that Kaaya is never gonna run so it's not really a RPO. If he doesn't hand it off he's just gonna throw it. This has to be the easiest offense to defend! Ole Bud Foster has to be chuckling as he is game planning for us!

It wasnt the same [MENTION=1740]brock[/MENTION] , they'reridingbthevfake Wwwwwaaaaay longer

Kaaya just looks scared to me

Advertisement
That's because teams have figured out that Kaaya is never gonna run so it's not really a RPO. If he doesn't hand it off he's just gonna throw it. This has to be the easiest offense to defend! Ole Bud Foster has to be chuckling as he is game planning for us!

Kaaya doing the fake run has nothing to do with it. The run part in this rpo refers to the running back not kaaya, the pass part is when kaaya throws.

It wasnt the same [MENTION=1740]brock[/MENTION] , they'reridingbthevfake Wwwwwaaaaay longer

Kaaya just looks scared to me

Yeah he has no confidence in this offensive line, missing throws and richt is failing horrible as an offensive coordinator to put it nicely

You don't have to a running QB to make it successful but you do need a o line that can open holes from time to time.

Again look at your top teams in college football. OSU, Clemson, Louisville even FSU when they had Jameis. Now Bama has done it but that is Bama and Mich seems to have the transitional pro set. Even new Bama QB is a dual threat this year.

Kaaya has no mobility at all zero! How did we let Lamar Jackson leave Boynton Beach? Maybe the same guy Ariz says we miss Coley who didn't recruit him.

Again look at your top teams in college football. OSU, Clemson, Louisville even FSU when they had Jameis. Now Bama has done it but that is Bama and Mich seems to have the transitional pro set. Even new Bama QB is a dual threat this year.

Kaaya has no mobility at all zero! How did we let Lamar Jackson leave Boynton Beach? Maybe the same guy Ariz we miss Coley who didn't recruit him.
Coley wanted him, golden didn't

Advertisement

No argument from me. But even in an Air Raid type of spread you have to have a quarterback with some mobility. Brad is a prototypical pocket passer. His weakness is he just doesn't have the pocket presence to overcome his lack of athleticism. He struggles finding throwing lanes.

Last edited:

100% agree post of the day! College football had changed not saying you need a Lamar Jackson. But you need an athletic QB that can make plays with his legs at times. Kaaya can't he doesn't have the athleticism.

Miami doesn't actually use the RPO, it's more of a RRPO. That's Running back Run/Pass Option.

Advertisement

This. People keep talking about not having the qb to run it when the bigger issue is we don't have the oline to run it.

This. People keep talking about not having the qb to run it when the bigger issue is we don't have the oline to run it.

Agreed we have 2 glaring problems the OLine is terrible and a QB that the defense dares to scramble. Amazing that some QBs can make a bad OLine look like studs. But the OLine is near historic putrid levels

Advertisement
Back