The lost down after King's injury ?

1CN

Sophomore
When King was injury there was a penalty on the play (Holding against Ok St. )
But The Canes was not award a First Down .

What am I missing . Defense holding not first down vs the Canes.

Example : In college football, when defensive holding occurs on a pass play from scrimmage, the penalty results in an automatic first down. When defensive holding occurs on a running play, the penalty does not carry an automatic first down.
My problem is the play was a passing play but King scramble out the pocket because of the holding call.

This rule need to be change.

(354) Miami QB D'Eriq King Suffers Serious Knee Injury vs Oklahoma State | 2020 College Footbll - YouTube

We was robbed a down..

Advertisement
I don’t know if defensive holding is an automatic 1st down in college like it is in the NFL.

I was perplex on that series. I thought they were awarded the 1st down, but on the feed I was watching they only ran two plays before it was 4th down? I was thinking there must have been a drop in one of the plays in the espn feed as I didn't see anyone screaming....????

NCAA Rule 9-3-4​

In the 2009-10 edition of the NCAA Football Rulebook, Rule 9 covers “Conduct of Players and Others Subject to the Rules.” Section 3 covers “Blocking, Use of Hands or Arms” and Section 4 is directed at defensive players. Section 3, Article 4 of Rule 9 states that a “defensive player may use hands and arms to push, pull, ward off or lift offensive players when attempting to reach the runner.” But they may not use hands and arms to tackle, hold or otherwise illegally obstruct an opponent other than a ball carrier. This is, by definition, defensive holding and carries a 10-yard penalty that is awarded to the offense as well as an automatic first down.

It was a passing play until King scrambled and ran. The play then became a running play.

Look at it this way. If a lineman runs too far downfield on a pass they call illegal man downfield. But if the QB pulls the ball and runs there is no penalty.

Advertisement
There is already a thread on this.

Advertisement
Back