The importance of the TE in CFB

Larry

All-American
I'm a huge proponent of the importance of the tight end in football, and never moreso in college football.

This year, there were 11 BCS schools that had wide receivers in the Top 200 nationally in receiving and had that TE as one of their top two leading receivers...they went 97-33 this year and all are going bowling.

Expand that to all of FBS and allow to cover to the Top 250 receivers, and you will find only two teams with a top targeted tight end failed to go to a bowl game this year (Eastern Michigan and UMass) out of the 20+ total teams that used their TE to this extent.

Tight End = Important.

Advertisement
I'm a huge proponent of the importance of the tight end in football, and never moreso in college football.

This year, there were 11 BCS schools that had wide receivers in the Top 200 nationally in receiving and had that TE as one of their top two leading receivers...they went 97-33 this year and all are going bowling.

Expand that to all of FBS and allow to cover to the Top 250 receivers, and you will find only two teams with a top targeted tight end failed to go to a bowl game this year (Eastern Michigan and UMass) out of the 20+ total teams that used their TE to this extent.

Tight End = Important.

Some of these 'Tight Ends' never block. That kid at Cal, who it considered a pretty good pro prospect, rarely lines up at the end of the OLine; he's always in the slot. Spread Offense TEs are not asked to do what Miami TEs are; we run a more demanding offense for that position because of the pro-style balance in I form, shotgun, etc.

Tight End = Important.

Some of these 'Tight Ends' never block. That kid at Cal, who it considered a pretty good pro prospect, rarely lines up at the end of the OLine; he's always in the slot. Spread Offense TEs are not asked to do what Miami TEs are; we run a more demanding offense for that position because of the pro-style balance in I form, shotgun, etc.

You'd be shocked to know, that most of the top TEs play a lot in-line. They may not be great blockers, but the teams that utilize them have'em lineup in-line a lot.

The importance of the TE accentuates the importance of our QB's ability to make proper reads and progressions. TEs aren't typically guys running free or, if so, the ball needs to fit within zone windows. This is not a current strength of Morris and, while some people were saying "hey, Walford suddenly developed at the end of the season," I saw just about the same ability from him. The primary factor in our TE production is our QB.

Kevin Olsen will become good friends with these guys in the up coming years

standish.jpg

travis.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back