Off-Topic The Ed Sullivan Show

TheOriginalCane

So say good night to the bad guy!
Premium
I realize this is way off-topic, but with the 60th Anniversary of the Beatles appearance, it's fun to reminisce about the old shows (which I TiVo off of one of the "oldies" channels on Xfinity).

So to start off...Tina ******* Turner...good lord, she was a smoke show. I can't stand Ike anymore, but before he destroyed the whole act, they were amazing.

That vamp lead-in to Proud Mary...Tina and three backup dancers just going nuts...THAT DRUMMER'S HAIR...fantastic! Someone in the music world needs to bring back that hairstyle. But NOT Ike's hairstyle, that one should stay in the 1960s...and not one, but TWO token white boys...love it!

Flip Wilson...loved that guy when I was a kid...he had a similar style to EARLY Richard Pryor, telling funny life stories, using voices, good stuff.

Tiny Tim...people forget what a HUGE celebrity that guy was...by the time he went on Howard Stern, he was largely washed up, but he used to be on The Tonight Show all the time in the 1970s and 80s. While not as well known, when he does "Earth Angel", it's one of his first songs where he does the "low-voice/high-voice" combo.

Gwen Virdon - I never liked dance. Imagine how much money this country could have saved on elaborate costumes for worthless dance numbers.

That should get us started. Discuss.

Advertisement
I’m more of a Carson guy (still love watching reruns). Just watched this interview with logician Raymond Smullyan the other day. I loved Carson’s ability to make memorable interviews with eclectic (and eccentric) guests.

Advertisement
Back