the College Athlete Protection Act

DerpaDerp

Herring, I need some

• California Democratic Assemblyman Chris Holden, who represents Pasadena, has introduced legislation that he is calling the College Athlete Protection Act, which would gut all non-revenue raising college athletics and cripple the ability of any California school to compete in football on the national stage.
  • Under Holden’s bill, all Division I schools would be forced to pay all of their scholarship athletes their “fair market value.” What is each athlete’s fair market value, you ask? According to Holden, each student athlete is worth an equal share of half their team’s annual revenue, minus the cost of their scholarships.
  • So let’s say Trojan football earned $100 million and the Trojan football team had 50 scholarship players. That would mean every player, from Heisman Trophy winning Caleb Williams to the backup punter, would each get $1 million. That’s their “fair market value,” according to Holden.
Good luck getting those results past Title IX regulators.

Oh, but it gets even better. College athletics are not like for-profit businesses. Excess profits don’t go into the owners' pockets. There are no owners. Football and basketball revenues go to pay coaches' salaries and subsidize each school's non-revenue earning sports. So for every dollar Holden’s legislation transfers from the athletic department to revenue-raising athletes, that is a dollar taken from either a coach (like Lincoln Riley) or a fellow athlete — perhaps a women’s softball player or a wrestler.

Ahhh… but Holden has anticipated this! If just one coach at a school makes more than $500,000 a year, his legislation suspends the athletic director for three years if he eliminates sports to help pay for the new player revenue sharing system.

The line in the legislation is $500,000 a year. Riley is making almost $10 million.

So if Holden’s legislation became law, athletic directors would face a tough choice: either get suspended, or cut all coaches' salaries to just $500,000 a year.

The sports system is dying like a Syphilitic *****. This is the start. It wont pass now, but it will pass eventually.

Advertisement

• California Democratic Assemblyman Chris Holden, who represents Pasadena, has introduced legislation that he is calling the College Athlete Protection Act, which would gut all non-revenue raising college athletics and cripple the ability of any California school to compete in football on the national stage.
  • Under Holden’s bill, all Division I schools would be forced to pay all of their scholarship athletes their “fair market value.” What is each athlete’s fair market value, you ask? According to Holden, each student athlete is worth an equal share of half their team’s annual revenue, minus the cost of their scholarships.
  • So let’s say Trojan football earned $100 million and the Trojan football team had 50 scholarship players. That would mean every player, from Heisman Trophy winning Caleb Williams to the backup punter, would each get $1 million. That’s their “fair market value,” according to Holden.

Oh, but it gets even better. College athletics are not like for-profit businesses. Excess profits don’t go into the owners' pockets. There are no owners. Football and basketball revenues go to pay coaches' salaries and subsidize each school's non-revenue earning sports. So for every dollar Holden’s legislation transfers from the athletic department to revenue-raising athletes, that is a dollar taken from either a coach (like Lincoln Riley) or a fellow athlete — perhaps a women’s softball player or a wrestler.

Ahhh… but Holden has anticipated this! If just one coach at a school makes more than $500,000 a year, his legislation suspends the athletic director for three years if he eliminates sports to help pay for the new player revenue sharing system.

The line in the legislation is $500,000 a year. Riley is making almost $10 million.

So if Holden’s legislation became law, athletic directors would face a tough choice: either get suspended, or cut all coaches' salaries to just $500,000 a year.

The sports system is dying like a Syphilitic *****. This is the start. It wont pass now, but it will pass eventually.
👎🏽 No

California wants to ***** their university athletic departments and make them less competitive then go for it. And any non rev sport will be dropped.

Advertisement
I‘m a proponent of players getting their share, but this is not well thought out. I would think NIL manages ‘fair market value’. Increasing COL stipends reasonably would seem to handle the balance of players not making bank on NIL.

I do like the idea of players receiving some level of medical care, or insurance coverage, post-college career to deal with costs of injuries incurred playing the game. Few players make the NFL, but the ramifications of injuries doesn’t stop when they stop playing.

Advertisement

Quite the opus, Opus.

Any chance we can give California back to Mexico? I would propose a fair trade of mutual benefit to both countries. Perhaps we get a years worth of tacos al pastor and Berria tacos too.

Advertisement
I've never understood why anyone gets upset by what one politician says they want to do, when everyone knows it has absolutely no way of ever becoming law.

Its just one stupid ******* trying to stand out by coming up with a look at me bill, and another stupid ******* reporting it for the clicks. Both stupid ******** know its going nowhere, but got exactly what they wanted: attention.

Hmm how can I make more money?
I know!! Try to pass legislation that will p i s s people off!!
That way they will have to swindle some money my way to try and stop it!!
Let’s go!!!

Advertisement
NO this won't pass in Missouri, yes it will likely get a hearing and committee vote in Commiefornia.

Advertisement
Back