Take on why Cristobal is moving slowly in the portal

Advertisement
I could be missing something, but the linked article has to do w/ the IC limits being expanded for (up to 7) transfers for one year, not the overall scholarship limit of 85 being expanded. The article starts with: "The Division I Council this week approved a one-year waiver of the annual signing limit and initial scholarship limits in football to allow schools to replace up to seven scholarship student-athletes who leave school after the first term." Admittedly, the article is a bit vague because they use language like "annual signing limit" and "initial scholarship limits" instead of the more familiar "initial counter" language, but I'm pretty sure that's what this article is referencing. And near the end of the article, the author expressly states the overall scholarship limit remains at 85 (though it is admittedly somewhat vague because the preceding sentence isn't specific about "the waiver"): "The waiver is effective immediately for the 2022-23 academic year only. The overall scholarship limit remains at 85 for the FBS and FCS."

I haven't seen anything out there to suggest the 85 cap on scholarship players has been waived for the upcoming season.
You’re right. So schools have even less time to get back under the 85 scholarships limit

You’re right. So schools have even less time to get back under the 85 scholarships limit

Yup. Another miss by the NCAA to the detriment of the student-athletes, IMO. There's no reason they couldn't have done a more gradual reduction back to 85 over a couple of seasons (e.g., make the limit 90 this season, then back down to 85). At least that would have given schools more time to get their rosters right and student-athletes a better chance of not getting forced out (or having their scholarships pulled).

I mean, they gave every kid on a roster in 2020 (regardless of class year) an extra season of eligibility, but then decided to only soften the rule on the 85 cap for one season. What good is that extra season of eligibility if nobody has a roster spot for you?

Miami is the only program that has to tiptoe through January land-mines in order to add good players.

Everybody else just takes whoever they want whenever they want.

I guess those Auburn transfers hit different nationally than they did here. Would think they would be in the top ten based off how bad some say the losses were.

No coincidence that the top 2 teams on the transfer rankings are coaches who are at schools that are in "WIN NOW!" mode and dont want to hear anything about building a foundation. They want instant results. And want to strike while the conference is on the ropes. (USC) or strike before they fall too far behind in the pecking order in the conference. (LSU)

I guess I just wish Mario had this same sense of urgency. Maybe he does. ACC is there for the taking and we should be attacking while teams like Clemson are down. We win the ACC next year or at least make it to the ACC title game and the 2023 recruiting class will be top 5 and then its all up from there.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back